• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antisemitism

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
According to the Anti-Defamation League around 80 million Europeans harbour anti-Semitic attitudes.

The ADL GLOBAL 100: An Index of Anti-Semitism

According to recent(ish) news articles it is rising.

Europe must face up to the new antisemites | Noreena Hertz | Comment is free | The Guardian

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/09/w...ope-report-a-surge-in-anti-semitism.html?_r=0

Why?

How do they distinguish between antiZionism and antisemitism?

Jewish people I like. Zionists I don't care for and wish they would go away.

Tom
Eta ~Zionists have habit of confusing the two

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
How do they distinguish between antiZionism and antisemitism?
The ADL survey doesn't appear to be designed to detect the difference. However, the Jews in France, Germany, Poland, Greece etc who are reporting growing hostility probably know the difference.

Yerda

Veteran Member
The problem is that sometimes people are too quick to accuse people of "anti-Semitism".
While I appreciate that the term is thrown about to neutralise criticism of Israel or superstitious religious practices the problem is still antisemitism.

And another thing. We are all too keen to dismiss accusations of antisemitism.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jaiket, any ideas about what might be causing the resurgence of antisemitism?

By the way, I agree the term "antisemite" has been thrown around so much -- and so inappropriately -- as to lose some of its meaning. But that point pales in comparison to the ugly reality of antisemitism.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Very often anti-Zionism is just one manifestation of anti-Semitism, wouldn't you agree?

I would agree. But I have also known Anti-Zionism to be falsely labeled as antisemitism. For instance, when Glenn Greenwald criticized certain aspects of US/Israeli relations, he was vilely attacked as both "a self-loathing Jew" and an "antisemite" by people who, I believe, did not make those charges in good faith, but rather, were merely attempting to smear someone they had no answer for on the merits.

Altfish

Veteran Member
While I appreciate that the term is thrown about to neutralise criticism of Israel or superstitious religious practices the problem is still antisemitism.

And another thing. We are all too keen to dismiss accusations of antisemitism.

It is the problem of crying 'wolf' too often. Jewish politicians do it all of the time, "Don't agree with Jewish settlements, then you are anti-Semitic"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It is the problem of crying 'wolf' too often. Jewish politicians do it all of the time, "Don't agree with Jewish settlements, then you are anti-Semitic"

But that doesn't explain why antisemitism is on the rise in Europe, does it? I mean, people aren't becoming antisemitic simply because a bunch of politicians have overused a word, are they?

Altfish

Veteran Member
But that doesn't explain why antisemitism is on the rise in Europe, does it? I mean, people aren't becoming antisemitic simply because a bunch of politicians have overused a word, are they?

I never said it did, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what is recorded as being anti-semetic and asking the question, "Are people really becoming more anti-semetic or is the threshold level for an anti-semetic incident too low?"

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The ADL survey doesn't appear to be designed to detect the difference. However, the Jews in France, Germany, Poland, Greece etc who are reporting growing hostility probably know the difference.

My cynicism is due to living in a place where the "melanin challenged" still meet occasionally or gather on forums like "storm front" to complain about how they are discriminated against.

I doubt very much that EuroJews are finding life any more difficult than the rest of us do.

Tom

Tom

raw_thought

Europe has a history of anti-semitism. Ironically Europe is mostly Christian. So some hate Jews and worship a Rabbi. * That is not only evil ( prejudice) its moronic. I remember seeing a film that had SS ( nazi) troops singing " Oh Bethlehem." DUH!! Where did they think Bethlehem was located? Sweden?:facepalm:
That having been said I do agree that the label anti-semetic is sometimes used without reason. For example if you say the Israelis should treat the Palestinians better, you are labeled an anti-semite.
* Here is what Jesus looked like http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/forensics/1282186 he was not Swedish ( blond, blue eyes etc) Here is a photo of our old friend Swedish Jesus, http://search.findwide.com/imageDet...sition=18&k=jesus&startSERP=0&imagePerPage=20

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Talking about the history of Jewish people in Europe and saying something like this:

Name a group there hasn't been systematic violence against.

. . . is like pointing at a group of people starving to death in the third world and saying, " Well who hasn't been a little hungry now and then?"

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jewish people I like.

Jewish people you like? All of them? Are we all that much alike? (You know how those Jews are &#8230;)

This type of bigoted and patronizing "some-of-my-best-friends-are-Negro-but" drivel is more than a littler transparent.

Last edited: