• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Case Of Gun Pointed At Protestors

Tambourine

Of course it does.

Is that really a question?

If I'm attacked in my home in the middle of the night that's profoundly different than being attacked in the middle of the night while invading someone else's home.
You really don't see the difference?
Tom
So only some people should be allowed to defend themselves with lethal violence?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A lot of protesters have been attacked by police, federal agents, and Neonazi vigilantes.

Do you think it would be reasonable for them to bring firearms to a protest, to defend themselves against such danger?
That would just feed the narrative of violent, dangerous protestors, plus the sight of an armed protestor would just give the police an excuse to wade in with lethal force.
We don't need firefights in the streets.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Husband of L.A. County DA Jackie Lacey to face charges after waving gun at protesters | KTLA
Excerpted....
The husband of Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey is facing multiple misdemeanor charges in connection with a March incident in which he waved a gun at protesters outside his Granada Hills home, a law enforcement official told the Los Angeles Times.

The California attorney general’s office, which was investigating the matter due to the conflict of interest for local prosecutors, made the decision to bring charges earlier this week, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the ongoing investigation.

David Lacey is being charged with three counts of assault with a firearm, according to a charging document obtained by Politico.

The chaotic scene unfolded on March 2, when protesters affiliated with Black Lives Matter L.A. and other local organizations descended on Lacey’s Granada Hills home for a pre-dawn protest. Several of the demonstrators knocked on Lacey’s door, and her husband answered brandishing a handgun.

Yeah, a pre-dawn protest sounds like it's more than just a protest.

I guess she could build a moat around her property and fill it with alligators. That might become the new in thing nowadays.

A “pre-dawn” protest ... on private property ... where the DA is presumably sleeping?

Having a gun in that situation, I get. Surely he’s not being investigated simply for having a legally owned gun on hand - is he?

Is the issue not so much that he had a gun, but that he pointed it at people, thereby threatening their lives for the (admittedly unwise) act of knocking on a door - a door which he willingly opened?

If he felt threatened - which would have been understandable - a better choice is probably to not open the door and call the police.

But I wasn’t there, so hard to judge.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
An Amazing story. They're sure frightened of the mere
existence of a gun in England....so much so that it's
necessary to send 10 cops with rifles pointed at all the
children (laser dots on their heads) in order to search
the home for a toy.

Well, there are so few guns here that one can be mistaken for having perfectly legal weapons (but not that lethal) - I have an air pistol (0.177, and legal), for example, but I don't wave it about in public. :D

Daemon Sophic

Who drew their weapon first in the article linked in the opening post?

I can't read it because the site is blocked for Europeans.
Here’s a You-Tube story link.
Of course it does.

Is that really a question?

If I'm attacked in my home in the middle of the night that's profoundly different than being attacked in the middle of the night while invading someone else's home.
You really don't see the difference?
Tom
I agree that in this case self-defense is a viable reason to answer the door with a gun. However, I would say that, like that other couple waving their guns at the protesters, there is no need in either situation to point the gun at people.
These people need to learn basics of firearm handling. :rolleyes:

Better than coming to the door with gun pointed at humans....better than coming to the door with weapon drawn and raised....would be don’t answer the door to a pre-dawn crowd.
tenor.gif

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Husband of L.A. County DA Jackie Lacey to face charges after waving gun at protesters | KTLA
Excerpted....
The husband of Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey is facing multiple misdemeanor charges in connection with a March incident in which he waved a gun at protesters outside his Granada Hills home, a law enforcement official told the Los Angeles Times.

The California attorney general’s office, which was investigating the matter due to the conflict of interest for local prosecutors, made the decision to bring charges earlier this week, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the ongoing investigation.

David Lacey is being charged with three counts of assault with a firearm, according to a charging document obtained by Politico.

The chaotic scene unfolded on March 2, when protesters affiliated with Black Lives Matter L.A. and other local organizations descended on Lacey’s Granada Hills home for a pre-dawn protest. Several of the demonstrators knocked on Lacey’s door, and her husband answered brandishing a handgun.
Assault? Did he like pistol whip someone?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, there are so few guns here that one can be mistaken for having perfectly legal weapons (but not that lethal) - I have an air pistol (0.177, and legal), for example, but I don't wave it about in public. :D
Of course.
But we note that the kid was in his own home with it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Of course.
But we note that the kid was in his own home with it.

Well if the police thought it was an illegal weapon it hardly matters where he was. He wouldn't be the first to have the police make such a mistake.

I must admit to not reading the article closely - I knew from another one that the boy had such happening to him though - a toy gun being mistaken for a real one.

Last edited:

Tambourine

An Amazing story. They're sure frightened of the mere
existence of a gun in England....so much so that it's
necessary to send 10 cops with rifles pointed at all the
children (laser dots on their heads) in order to search
the home for a toy.
Yea, in the US,
the kids would have been already shot dead.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not that I know of.
But in this political climate, government might be
trying to send a message with "trumped" up charges.
It would be disconcerting if the definition of assault now includes a simple act of brandishing a firearm.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well if the police thought it was an illegal weapon it hardly matters where he was. He wouldn't be the first to have the police make such a mistake.

I must admit to not reading the article closely - I knew from another one that the boy had such happening to him though - a toy gun being mistaken for a real one.
The cops didn't know, since it's a 3rd party claim, & only seen
thru a window. Hardly a sound basis for such a severe reaction.