• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angels

Marble

Rolling Marble
Who are they?
Why did God create them?
Can a mortal become an angel?
In Christianity angels always have male names, but I suppose angels are genderless?
Can angels (other than Lucifer) fall from heaven?
Does each person have a personal guardian angel, and can this angel be seen & spoken with?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well, these questions span various religions and various historical stages. but I'll try to sample some of them and get the thread going.

Who are they?
There are several orders of angels, the Bible tells about Seraphim and Cherubim for example. some of the descriptive elements of the Cherubim is similar to ancient Near Eastern mythological gaurdians, Assyrian and Babylonian. for example a creature which is a combination of an ox, lion, eagle, and man. other scholars would say that the book of Ezekiel had plenty of Hebrew material to draw from when it describes the Cherubim and doesn't necessarily reflect ancient Near Eastern mythological beasts/gaurdians. in the case of Seraphim, their descriptive elements are that of fiery serpents. the firey part may be as a result of the serpent's poison.
In Jewish Enochian lore, Enoch- was a man that it is said about that he "walked with God: and he was not; for God took him", is said he transformed into Metatron, a high ranking angel, or the voice of God.
I would suggest reading the Biblical passages about Lucifer or Helel Ben-Shachar as he appear in the Hebrew Bible in light of none Christian scholarship can be very enlightening. Lucifer as we know him today from Christian theology was not what these Biblical passages talked about.
In regards to the general question about fallen angels, there are stories about rebellious angels such as Azazel and Semjaza which are found in the apocrypha, these angels tested the will of God and also went down to the earth and taught humanity various works. they reincarnated into the Qur'an in the form of Harut and Marut.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Who are they?
Why did God create them?
Angels seem to be the "noodly appendages" of God: intermediaries given specific tasks to perform. This was most likely done so God would not have to give 100% attention to any one thing.
As Caladan said, the Book of Enoch claims it's possible, but I'm not so sure. If it does happen, it's probably rather rare.
In Christianity angels always have male names, but I suppose angels are genderless?
In times where men held greater positions of authority (like, well, now), appearing as a man gets the job done quicker than appearing as a woman.
Lucifer was not an angel. Lucifer was the king of Babylon, and the title wasn't originally capitalized, since it was not a proper noun. Rebelling angels I would consider more along the lines of a malfunctioning program: God saw the malfunctions and quarantined the programs.
Does each person have a personal guardian angel, and can this angel be seen & spoken with?
This seems more along the lines of Zoroastrianism or Thelema than Christianity, so I would say "You don't have a guardian angel. It has you".

Last edited:

Rapha

Who are they?
Here are the different types of angel.
1) seraphim, who have 6 wings. They can either be seen in dragon or human form
2) cherubim, winged lions
3) owphanim,
4) shiltownim,
5) yasharim,
6) chayilim,
7) sarim,
8) malakim,
9) malakim nas,
10) lyrim, who are the Watchers.

No chance of that happening. However, long ago a rapha was born with wings.
Apparently it was classed as a freak event.

Angels are the b'nai ha Elohim or men of God. There are no females.

Yes.

From my repented fallen angel contact, many angels are still in Heaven and have never experienced sin.
The angels that are on this planet are either messengers, fallen or repented fallen angels.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Who are they?
They are not actual beings, they are energies, minds in higher states of consciousness similar to the Devas of Hinduism. Think about enlightenment seeking beliefs, if one were to reach a higher state of consciousness [after death] they would not be a human being again, you could call them an angel.

Why did God create them?
An 'angel' is victorious over the challenges we humans face as the microcosm of reality, they have proven themselves worthy and are respective of Truth, although still act relatively free of restrictions. I believe the majority of times a man has an external interaction with God (the majority of scriptures) or even sometimes has internal interaction, it is an 'angel' rather than the Creator. The Creator itself only interacts with those truly worthy (therefore angels or enlightened human beings).

I will rephrase this as "can a mortal attain permanent higher levels of consciousness", and the answer is yes.

Correct. Gender only applies in the physical world. Although there is masculine and feminine energy, but that is different than male and female.

First of all, Lucifer is not a fallen angel. That is a mistranslation that went viral. Lucifer means light-bearer and is the symbol of knowledge (which brings enlightenment) and the Light of God. Second, no angels cannot "fall". Angels are both positive and negative energies.

I think this may be so. But people must earn the help of Angels and be aware of it. Help is not just a free hand out in my beliefs, it is worked very hard for. There is also one's Higher Self, which is the part of you that exists at higher levels of consciousness. This is the same as one's "guardian angel".

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
To the original poster, this is correct;

This seems more along the lines of Zoroastrianism or Thelema than Christianity, so I would say "You don't have a guardian angel. It has you".

You and your "guardian angel" are indistinct from each other. You just have to come to realize this and work to understand it. Even this is an understatement though, as realizing you are One with your Holy Guardian Angel / Higher Self is nothing compared to realizing you are One with God.

In Islam
Who are they?
Angels are beings created from light, by God.

Why did God create them?
I think they were created to worship God, carry out His commands and things like that, but God knows best.

No. Adam, the first human, (peace be upon him) was created from clay and angels from light. We can't become angels and angels can become humans.

Yea, in Islam angels are neither male nor female.

In Islam, angels cannot 'fall' or sin at all. They have no free will like we do, they only carry out God's commands. "Lucifer", or "Iblees" as he is called in the Quran, is another totally different creature called a "jinn". Jinn are created out of a smokeless flame. And Jinn cannot become angels and angels cannot become jinn. They also have free will like us.

Umm, I think there are two 'guardian' angels for each person. I'm not exactly sure of all the details though, God knows best. Also, I think only prophets could see them and that we can't see them, or whatever. But there are also angels that write down everything you say.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Who are they?
Why did God create them?

Humans simplify things because it makes things easier to understand but the universe is not simple. It's the most complex thing ever and it is much, much, much more complicated than people think it is.

Angels are like the Agents in the Matrix movie. They are celestial beings who were created to do specific work for the universe. The lower level angels don't have near as much ability as the higher level angels.

Why did God create them? He didn't. The angels were created by the Elohim, also known as the Shining Ones or the Central Race, the first race of beings that God created in the material universe. The Central Race does work within the material universe. They spread life and help it gain a foothold. Once life has made a connection with God they have to follow certain rules of non-interference.

Can angels fall from heaven? Angels have never been to heaven but can they fall? Well, the bible tells a very misunderstood portion of the Lucifer Rebellion. To make a very long story short, Lucifer was an angel placed in a high position over a section of the universe. Lucifer realized that God's son, Christ, was about to bestow upon the earth and when that was completed Christ would assume leadership over Lucifer.

So, afraid of losing some power, Lucifer rebelled and many lower angels rebelled along with him. Christ could have given the word and Lucifer and every rebelious angel would have ceased to exist instantly but Christ refused to do this until He had completed His bestowal and assumed His place as God's representative in the universe. Christ offered mercy to every rebellious angel, I believe all of them took it except Lucifer who will be tried in a universal court and likely found guilty, then he will cease to exist.

Does each person have a guardian angel? No. Each person has a soul which is a fragment of God that connects to sentient life forms so that God experiences life and His universe through you. You speak with your soul and God with every thought.

The soul speaks to you at times when it acts like the little angel on one shoulder and the little devil on the other. It loves choice and wants to see which you will choose. If you choose selfishly it will surely attempt to make you feel bad, hoping that you will learn and mature from it. The soul is your conscience.

Shermana

Heretic
"Angels", in the OT scripture, are referred to as "Elohim" which indicates that they were known as "gods", some translations use "heavenly beings", see Psalm 8:5 for example. The word "Angel" denotes their position/title rather than their being, which is as a "messenger". In 1 Samuel, the Witch of Endor refers to Samuel's risen ghost as an Elohim, so there may be some indication that there is overlap of the concept of the ghost of a prophet and an "angel".

Levite

Higher and Higher
Who are they?
Why did God create them?

There have been several different schools of thought in Judaism on the matter of angels. None have ever been universally accepted as dogmatic, so we are entitled to a certain amount of lattitude on what, precisely, to believe in this regard.

There has certainly never been agreement about why God created angels. Some midrashim seem to indicate that He created them as "first drafts" of humanity; some that He created them in order to help with the creation and maintenance of the universe (for whatever reasons, we do not know, since presumably He could do it all Himself if He wanted to); some that He created them in order to be "go-betweens" between the Heavens and the earth, for such times when it was not feasible or practical for His own presence to manifest; other midrashim speculate other reasons.

The Rabbis of the Talmud indicate that there are several different kinds of angels, some of which are continually being created, praise God for a moment, and then are uncreated; some of which are created specifically for the duration of a certain "mission" or "errand;" and some of which, once created, are eternal (subject to God's wishes). And of those, there are also various kinds, some of which we know of, and have names, and others of which we do not.

Jewish sacred text refers to serafim ("burning ones," angels associated with some kind of fire), ofanim ("wheels" or "cycles," possibly angels without humanoid form, or possibly angels that move in a wheeling or cyclical motion, or possibly both), keruvim ("bearers," or "lifters-up," possibly angels associated with clouds, or imaged as bearing up the Heavenly throne, or having wings), and also chayot ha-kodesh ("holy beings," angels which are said to be roughly humanoid, but having many wings, and the aspects both of human beings and of other animals); the general term malachim (usually generically translated as "angels," but actually meaning "emissaries") may be either a blanket category, or it may refer to another subgrouping of angels altogether.

The Rabbis of the Talmud say that everything in the universe has a sar, which is to say, an angel appointed to oversee its existence. Whether that means that every person also has one is subject to debate.

They also taught that angels (in their natural and true forms and states) do not eat, drink, die, give birth, excrete, or have sex. Some midrashim indicate that angels may sometimes take on aspects of the male gender, but other midrashim indicate that they may also sometimes take on aspects of the female gender. But the tradition overall seems to indicate they are naturally genderless.

We are also taught that angels have no free will. They exist solely to serve God, and have no other purposes or desires. Thus, they cannot rebel against God, since they are incapable of desiring anything but His will (which is why we do not believe in the Christian Lucifer or their story of the fallen angels). Though, in Kabbalah (Jewish mysticism) some of the highest angels are portrayed has being very close to human in some of their words and deeds. The highest angels are the sarei ha-panim, "the princes of the Presence," who personally minister to God's most complex and potent commands, and are closest to God's Infinite Presence.

Set over the sarei ha-panim is the chief of the angels, the Metatron: the only angel who was once a human being (as Caladan mentioned, this was Chanoch, the grandfather of Noah, who was transmogrified into the Metatron instead of dying).

BruceDLimber

From the Baha'i scriptures:

86 "And now, concerning His words: 'And He shall send His angels....' By 'angels' is meant those who, reinforced by the power of the spirit, have consumed, with the fire of the love of God, all human traits and limitations, and have clothed themselves with the attributes of the most exalted beings....

87 "And now, inasmuch as these holy beings have sanctified themselves from every human limitation, have become endowed with the attributes of the spiritual, and have been adorned with the noble traits of the blessed, they therefore have been designated as 'angels.' Such is the meaning of these verses...."

-- The Book of Certitude, pp. 78-80

Thus angels are people who have become completely spiritual!

Peace, :)

Bruce

ankarali

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Angels have no gender[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They don't eat and drink[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They have any sins so they are not able to do a bad thing[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Evil is not an engel but a Djinn[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here some information about angel:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One of these: One day while reciting in a supplication: “O My Sustainer! In veneration of Gabriel, Michael, Israfil, and Azra’il, and through their intercession, preserve me from the evil of men and jinn,” I experienced an exceedingly pleasant and consoling state of mind on mentioning the name of Azra’il, which generally makes people tremble in fear. “All praise be to God!” I exlaimed, and began to feel earnest love for him. I shall point out extremely briefly only one particular fruit of the many of this particular aspect of the pillar of belief in the angels.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another: Everyone’s most precious possession and the one over which they most tremble, is their spirit. I felt sure that to surrender it to a strong and trustworthy hand thereby preserving it from being lost and annihilated and from aimlessness, afforded a profound joy. Then the angels who record men’s actions came to mind; I saw that they yielded numerous sweet fruits like the previous one.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another: Everyone tries earnestly to preserve through writing, poetry, or even the cinema, a worthwhile saying or deed, in order to immortalize it. Particularly if the deeds produce everlasting fruits in Paradise, they are even more anxious to preserve them. The recording angels hovering over men’s shoulders so that they may show their deeds in eternal vistas and continually gain their owners reward, seemed so agreeable to me, I cannot describe it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then, when ‘the worldly’ had isolated me from everything to do with social life and kept me from all my books, friends, assistants, and the things that console me, and I was being crushed by the desolation of exile and my empty world was tumbling down all around me, one of the many fruits of belief in the angels came to my assistance. It cheered up the universe and my world, filling it with angels and spirit beings, and making my world laugh for joy.41 It showed too that the worlds of the people of misguidance weep in desolation, emptiness, and darkness. While enjoying the pleasures of this fruit, my imagination plucked one of the numerous fruits of belief in the prophets, which resembles it, and tasted it. Then suddenly my belief that all the prophets of the past were as though living, and my assent to them, lit up those times and made my belief universal and expanded it, and set thousands of signatures to their teachings concerning belief in the Prophet of the End of Time (PBUH), silencing the Satans.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then, a question occurred to me the decisive answer to which is included in the Thirteenth Flash, about the wisdom in seeking refuge with God from Satan. In meaning it asked me: “The people of guidance are assisted and strengthened by innumerable sweet fruits and benefits like these, the fine results of good deeds, and the Most Merciful of the Merciful’s compassionate succour and assistance, so why are they frequently defeated by the people of misguidance, and sometimes twenty or a hundred of them are routed?” While pondering over this, I recalled the mobilizations and angels in the Qur’an in the face of Satan’s feeble machinations, and Almighty God’s sending assistance to the people of belief. Since the Risale-i Nur has explained the purpose and wisdom of this with decisive proofs, we shall here allude to it only briefly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, sometimes in the face of a single vandal trying to set fire to a palace which a hundred men have made, the palace can remain standing only through a hundred men protecting it and by having recourse to the government and the king. For its existence is possible only through the existence of all its conditions and causes, but its non-existence and destruction may occur through the non-existence of a single condition. Just as the palace may be burnt to the ground by a layabout with a single match, so with some small actions, satans from among jinn and men cause vast destruction and terrible non-physical conflagrations. Yes, the basis and origin of all bad, evils and sins is non-existence, it is destruction. The non-existence and destruction are concealed beneath apparent existence. Thus, relying on this point, satans from among jinn and men and evil beings withstand an infinite force with an extremely weak force, driving the people of truth and reality to continually seek refuge at the Divine Court, and to flee to it. The Qur’an therefore mobilizes great forces for their protection. It gives for their use ninety-nine Divine Names, and commands them sternly to withstand those enemies.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From this answer became apparent the tip of a vast truth and basis of an awesome matter. It was like this: just as Paradise bears the crops of all the worlds of existence and produces the eternal shoots of the seeds grown in this world; so in order to display the grievous consequences of the innumerable terrible worlds of non-existence and nothingness, Hell scorches up the products of that non-existence, and among its other functions, that terrible factory cleanses the universe of existence of the filth of the world of non-existence. For now we shall not open the door of this awesome matter; God willing, it shall be elucidated later.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another particular and example of the fruit of belief in the angels concerns the questioning angels, Munkar and Nakir;42 it is this: in my imagination I entered my grave, telling myself: “I am bound to enter here, the same as everyone else.” While taking fright at the bleakness and despair of the lonely, dark, cold, narrow solitary confinement of the grave, two blessed friends resembling Munkar and Nakir appeared. They began to debate with me. My heart and grave were broadened, illumined, and warmed; windows were opened up onto the world of spirits. I felt truly happy at that situation which I saw in the imagination then, and will see in reality in the future, and I offered thanks.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A medrese student who was studying Arabic grammar died and in replying to Munkar and Nakir’s question of “Who is your Sustainer?”, thought he was in his own medrese and said: “‘Who’ is the subject, ‘your Sustainer’ is its predicate; ask me something difficult; that’s easy.” It made both the angels, and the spirits who were present, and a diviner of graves who witnessed the incident, laugh, and brought a smile to Divine mercy. Being delivered from torment, the late Hafiz Ali, a martyr hero of the Risale-i Nur, died in prison while writing out and enthusiastically studying the treatise of The Fruits of Belief. Just as he replied in the grave to the questioning angels with the truths of The Fruits of Belief —as he had in court here—, so I and the Risale-i Nur students shall reply to those questions with the brilliant and powerful proofs of the Risale-i Nur, in the future in fact and now in meaning, and will cause the angels to confirm them and appreciate them and congratulate them; God willing. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another small example of belief in the angels leading to worldly happiness is this: an innocent child who had learnt his lesson from the Ilm-i Hal, said to another child who was wailing at the death of his little brother: “Don’t cry, be thankful, because your brother has gone to heaven and is with the angels. He is enjoying himself there and having a better time than us. He is flying around like the angels, and taking a look at everything.” He turned his friend’s woeful tears into happy smiles.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Exactly like that weeping child, in the grim situation of this sorrowful winter I received news of two deaths. One was my nephew, the late Fuad, who had both come first in advanced schools, and had published the truths of the Risale-i Nur. The second was my late sister, called Hanim, a scholar who went on the Hajj and died while circumambulating the Ka‘ba. These deaths of two relatives made me weep, like that of the late Abdurrahman, which is described in the Treatise For The Elderly. Then, through the light of belief I saw in my heart that the innocent Fuad and righteous Hanim had as companions angels and houris in place of humans and had been saved from the perils and sins of this world. Feeling overwhelming joy instead of that searing sorrow, I congratulated both them, and Fuad’s father, Abdülmecid, and myself, and I offered thanks to the Most Merciful of the Merciful. This has been included here as a prayer for mercy for the two departed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the comparisons and allegories in the Risale-i Nur describe the fruits of belief that have as their consequences happiness in this world and the next. In respect of the happiness and pleasures of life they display in this world, those universal and extensive fruits give news that they will gain..........[/FONT]

for more information

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Risale-i Nur Collection[/FONT]

Shermana

Heretic
God didn't create the angels. Angel are emanated from the Godhead.

There is no such thing as "The Godhead", the articulated use of this word is an invention of Trinitarians. The word 'Godhead" is olde English for "godhood". Jesus had Godhead. Angels had "Godhead" since they are called "gods". With that, I don't necessarily see the difference between an emanation and a creation, if the original god emanated them, that means He willfully made them. One thing Gnostics and Ancient Jews both had in common was a belief that a personified being called "Wisdom" was the first-created being. Perhaps they may diverge on whether it was created or not.

CynthiaCypher

There is no such thing as "The Godhead", the articulated use of this word is an invention of Trinitarians. The word 'Godhead" is olde English for "godhood". Jesus had Godhead. Angels had "Godhead" since they are called "gods". With that, I don't necessarily see the difference between an emanation and a creation, if the original god emanated them, that means He willfully made them. One thing Gnostics and Ancient Jews both had in common was a belief that a personified being called "Wisdom" was the first-created being. Perhaps they may diverge on whether it was created or not.

'Elohut i.e Godhead : the unknowable aspect of God, which lies beyond His actions or emanations.

God didn't create Wisdom, Wisdom continually emanates from God. Wisdom isn't some static dead thing, it is a living process.