• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angels in Art

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

superstock_900-5459_b~Jacob-Wrestles-with-an-Angel-Posters.jpg

Jacob Wrestles With An Angel - Rembrandt

Jacob-angel.jpg

Jacob Wrestles With An Angel - Doré

SuperStock_900-9070.jpg

Jacob Wrestles With An Angel - Delacroix

chaidivider.gif

PureX

Veteran Member
f01pcon1e.gif

"Untitled (Angel)," by Jean-Michel Basquiat, acrylic on canvas, 96 by 169 inches, 1982

Reactions: d.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
Hmmm. They've all got wings. Angels don't have wings.

I wondered who decided that, I've always been curious why do angels have to have wings?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Katzpur said:
Hmmm. They've all got wings. Angels don't have wings.
I'm more interested in why they all depict Jacob wrestling with an angel in the first place. My understanding of that story is that Jacob wrestled with God Himself.

Genesis 32:24-30
24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. 26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. 27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. 28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. 29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. 30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
beckysoup61 said:
I wondered who decided that, I've always been curious why do angels have to have wings?
The same reason that Hindu and Buddhist gods have three eyes and eight arms. It's a physical representation of superhuman powers.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Cherubim and Seraphim angels are noted within the Bible to have wings.

The Angels in the book of Revelation are actually referred to as being kind of ugly and resembled animals.

Angels in the OT, when fornicating with human women had "giant" offspring.

I'm rambling...:D

Bishka

Veteran Member
dawny0826 said:
Cherubim and Seraphim angels are noted within the Bible to have wings.

The Angels in the book of Revelation are actually referred to as being kind of ugly and resembled animals.

Angels in the OT, when fornicating with human women had "giant" offspring.

I'm rambling...:D

I wont pursue this any more here since this is DIR, but isn't the Book of Revelation symbolic?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
beckysoup61 said:
I wont pursue this any more here since this is DIR, but isn't the Book of Revelation symbolic?

Seraphim and Cherubim are mentioned in the OT of the Bible as well. Satan was supposedly a Cherub.

Bishka

Veteran Member
dawny0826 said:
Seraphim and Cherubim are mentioned in the OT of the Bible as well. Satan was supposedly a Cherub.

I'm actually going to make a thread about this. Thanks for the idea Dawn.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
dawny0826 said:

Where the heck do you get that from? I know of absolutely no tradition that says that Satan was a Cherub and it certainly isn't found in Scripture. To the best of my knowledge, the Tradition of all three pre-Reformation churches (us, the RCs and the OOs) is that Satan was an Archangel, which is an entirely different rank of angel from the Cherubim. As Judaism doesn't consider Satan to be a fallen angel at all and Islam considers him to be a Djinn, I'm rather interested to see what could possibly be the source for your information.

James

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
beckysoup61 said:
Have you?
I believe in Someone who has.

In addition, the cherubs and seraphs are described in the books of Exodus, Kings and Chronicles, 2Samuel, Psalms, Isaiah, Ezekiel, and likely some I missed, as having wings.

There are, of course, many Biblical references to angels without descriptions. And some, like the ones sent to Sodom, probably didn't have wings since the crowds thought they were merely men.

It seems that maybe there are some of each - some with and some without wings. In art, the wings make the angels, IMO. Like in the ones where Jacob is wrestling with the angel, the wings make it obvious which is Jacob and which is the angel :D

I originally asked Katzpur the question though, as she stated so matter-of-factly that angels have no wings. I figured she may have seen some to be so sure, despite some Biblical descriptions.