• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And people wonder why they're called "Gun Nuts"

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The difference is that we have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

There is no constitutions right to drive a car.

A difference that's on paper, only. Lives are at stake, here.

If you ask me, the real difference is the level of danger involved. Cars are SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous than guns, and that danger I'll wager is reflected in the number of car-related deaths vs. the number of gun-related deaths. (In civies, of course.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is a difference between using metaphor for illustration and utterly distorting / refusing reality in order to keep one's ground.
But apparently, anti-gun rights cannot recognize distortion & refutations of reality when they themselves do it. Sunstone's definition of "liberty" was both false & ridiculous. He did it to be sarcastic, & he (& other anti-gun rights types) should extend the same right to the opposition.

I get the impression that when one strongly opposes gun rights, a portion of one's brain shuts down, & one succumbs to the illusion that one has sole access to the TRUTH. One may be as sarcastic & histrionic as one wishes (because it's TRUE). But if the other side does the same, it's wrongo pongo.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...Sunstone's rabid anti-gun rights reality....

"Rabid anti-gun rights". There you go, playing fast and loose with the facts again. Since when have I expressed a "rabid anti-gun rights" position on this board or anywhere else? You assume what suits you, Rev.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Rabid anti-gun rights". There you go, playing fast and loose with the facts again.
That was just my own offering of sarcasm & mirth.
You're not rabid. But I'm clumsy.

Since when have I expressed a "rabid anti-gun rights" position on this board or anywhere else? You assume what suits you, Rev.
See above.

Uberpod

A difference that's on paper, only. Lives are at stake, here.

If you ask me, the real difference is the level of danger involved. Cars are SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous than guns, and that danger I'll wager is reflected in the number of car-related deaths vs. the number of gun-related deaths. (In civies, of course.)
Such an analysis only makes sense if you compare deaths per car use and deaths per gun use.

Curious George

Veteran Member
What would mandatory gun ownership have to do with anything I've said?

It was a reference to the fact that the ACA penalty was held constitutional as a tax not a penalty. But that's okay.

Anyhow Insurance such as car insurance is only mandatory for those engaging in a certain act or otherwise by contract in the example of homeowners insurance. Thus, I can own a car and not buy car insurance as long as I do not drive that car. Or I can own a home and not buy homeowners insurance unless I have agreed to purchase such by contract. Health insurance is a little different. With health insurance now, one can still not purchase health insurance, however, there is a consequence i.e. you pay a higher tax come income tax time.

Now, the problem is that requiring an on-going tax on a specific class of people reeks of equal protection violations. ACA doesn't have to worry about this because that tax applies to everyone equally, thus anyone who chooses to forgo the purchase of health insurance pays the tax. If we change the statement to say any gun owner who doesn't acquire insurance must pay a tax, then we see that we are now targeting a specific class of people with a tax. Sales taxes are different they are a one time shot that you pay at purchase. It is not a law that only attacks a specific class of people either. Sales tax goes to everyone in the states that have such a tax. Some items are exempt, but we see it touch everything else.

Any effort to tax a specific class of people will still be subject to the rational basis test of the fourteenth amendment. So, as I said before, depending on who implements the law, how it is implemented and why it is implemented will determine whether the law is constitutional. On its face, without other facts this suggestion would be unconstitutional because it does not pass the rational basis test.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Such an analysis only makes sense if you compare deaths per car use and deaths per gun use.

What's a "car use"? Auto collision statistics (at a population-wide level, anyhow) are normally given in terms of collisions, injuries, or fatalities per million vehicle-kilometers or million vehicle-miles travelled.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Meh...... You're just a beginner. I was a jerk before you even bit your first ankle. :D
I've seen your pic, bub....you ain't that old.
There should be a poll about who is the biggest jerk here.
Unless Mrs Badger is on RF, you wouldn't get a single vote!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why was this women shot?
Legal wrangling ahead in Mich. porch shooting case - Toshiba

If the man did not have a gun, the girl would be alive. If he had a knife, she would be alive. If he had a car, she'd be alive.
The shooter looks clearly wrong to me. Do you look at this single case to decide what public policy should be?
People sometimes use guns to save their own lives, & people sometimes use them to wrongfully kill others.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Only roughly 2% of all homicides here in the States are for self-defense, which should tell anyone that relying mainly on having a loaded gun in the house is not the best way to go. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Only roughly 2% of all homicides here in the States are for self-defense, which should tell anyone that relying mainly on having a loaded gun in the house is not the best way to go. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
Who said that the use of a firearm in self defense must end up with a death?
For example:
[youtube]6czhs-7n21c[/youtube]
Raw: Clerk Pulls Gun on Would-Be Thief - YouTube