• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Atheists at it again?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't understand how "puppies are cute" is provocative. If the message's author were not displayed I don't think there'd be any problem.
It's the very concept of atheism that sets people off.

i think anything with the word atheist on it is offensive...

weak.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't understand how "puppies are cute" is provocative. If the message's author were not displayed I don't think there'd be any problem.
She did say "most," and I don't think she was limiting it to the atheist side. Could be wrong.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If people would be completely honest, they would admit that most of these signs are meant to be provocative at the least, divisive generally, and at their worst, offensive.

Even if it's just a campaign intended to outreach to closet atheists? Or is it bad enough that gays are encouraged to come out of the closet?

nekoboy

Teenage neko
If atheists want me to stop referring to their belief system as a religion, they should stop acting dogmatic. Nuff said.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If atheists want me to stop referring to their belief system as a religion, they should stop acting dogmatic. Nuff said.
Example please.
When are even strong atheists dogmatic? What dogma do we have?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Lots of people are offended by atheism. They can pretend not to be, but their behavior speaks otherwise.

A lot of people project their own egos, emotions and identities through their idea of god, so to reject or insult their god is to reject or insult them. It works kind of like a voodoo doll.

freethinker44

Is this Incitement?

From my house to the next town where I used to work, there was no fewer than 7 religious billboards in 13 miles. I think only a couple were advertisements for local churches, the rest were general messages aimed at non-christians about how we are wicked and will burn in hell if we don't change our ways.

Is this incitement?

My aunt posts at least one religious video or link to her facebook page every hour on average, I don't leave comments or criticize her at all. I posted exactly 2 videos in the year and a half or so that I have had an account. And they weren't even atheist themed or anti-religious videos, but they were made by well known atheists. She asked my why I "keep posting this junk". Was I being a jerk there? Was I inciting something?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Example please.
When are even strong atheists dogmatic? What dogma do we have?
How about the dogmatic insistence that anyone who disagrees with atheist billboards have some kind of subconscious offense towards atheism in general?
:p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How about the dogmatic insistence that anyone who disagrees with atheist billboards have some kind of subconscious offense towards atheism in general?
:p

I tend to believe that, but I'm not dogmatic about it. If you can show me some science that contradicts my views, then I will gladly change my views.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I tend to believe that, but I'm not dogmatic about it. If you can show me some science that contradicts my views, then I will gladly change my views.
I wasn't referring to just you. Several posters on this forum do the same thing. And you can also see it across many atheist* blogs and websites across the net.

*By atheist I am more referring to the anti-theist movement who's intention is to rid the world of religion.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
i know you are not complaining...i'm just asking, so?

what do you think the purpose of these offensive, at worst, billboards are doing...
offending people? so....?
nothing happens when one gets offended. we teach our children to be people to take "offensive" words with a grain of salt...but then somewhere along the line when religion is the target then all bets are off...

I didn't say it was unlawful or should be unlawful to be intentionally offensive. But it IS a pretty crap mindset, regardless of the justification.

Kathryn

Or the very concept of theism.

Kathryn

Even if it's just a campaign intended to outreach to closet atheists? Or is it bad enough that gays are encouraged to come out of the closet?

What are you going on about?

I didn't say this particular campaign was offensive.