• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Atheists at it again?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I didn't say it was unlawful or should be unlawful to be intentionally offensive. But it IS a pretty crap mindset, regardless of the justification.

so what?

i don't see what the big deal is...
let the words in the context speak for itself...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
From my house to the next town where I used to work, there was no fewer than 7 religious billboards in 13 miles. I think only a couple were advertisements for local churches, the rest were general messages aimed at non-christians about how we are wicked and will burn in hell if we don't change our ways.

Is this incitement?

My aunt posts at least one religious video or link to her facebook page every hour on average, I don't leave comments or criticize her at all. I posted exactly 2 videos in the year and a half or so that I have had an account. And they weren't even atheist themed or anti-religious videos, but they were made by well known atheists. She asked my why I "keep posting this junk". Was I being a jerk there? Was I inciting something?

Aunt or not, there would be no way I could abide such double standards from someone.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
so what?

i don't see what the big deal is...
let the words in the context speak for itself...

This is a discussion - we're discussing it. Your answer stops all discussion. And it's not the only option or answer or point.

waitasec

Veteran Member
This is a discussion - we're discussing it. Your answer stops all discussion. And it's not the only option or answer or point.

why would it stop the discussion?

i'm just pointing out the disclaimers of why one "has the right" to be offended by any of these billboards as if their rights are being taken away somehow when words are posted in a particular context for anyone who can read them.
when their not.

i almost want to ask, are their certain thoughts that are somehow illegal to have?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Spreading doubt on what you believe is a lie or an error of thought is not at all a crappy mindset if you ask me.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Just for the record... atheists do not "recruit converts"...

Atheists may advocate human reason/intellect and demonstrable fact as embraceable alternatives to faith-based claims of super naturalistic cause-effect explanations, but such motives should not be interpreted as any motivated interest to "destroy the faith of people"... nor to supplant or provide any "emotional and spiritual needs" filled or unfulfilled.

Just saying... :)

I might be ignorant of something here. If atheists don't recruit- then why do they put up the billboards in the first place? (Not that they offend me or anything, I am just asking a question. :);)
Billboards couldn't kill faith.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think of atheist groups like this one as I do religious fundamentalists, albeit without the religion. I don't care what they claim about themselves, this is still proselytizing at its worst.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I think of atheist groups like this one as I do religious fundamentalists, albeit without the religion. I don't care what they claim about themselves, this is still proselytizing at its worst.

agreed. Wait, did I just agree with a Man Utd. fan?! :eek:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I may be wrong, but it seems the atheists who put up the billboard want to educate we "poor, delusional, superstitious theists". That, to me, is proselytizing. They have right to put up the billboards just like theists can put up their own. But don't tell me it isn't a form of proselytizing. The billboards won't work, just like religious billboards won't convert anyone to religion, but more power to them.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I may be wrong, but it seems the atheists who put up the billboard want to educate we "poor, delusional, superstitious theists". That, to me, is proselytizing. They have right to put up the billboards just like theists can put up their own. But don't tell me it isn't a form of proselytizing. The billboards won't work, just like religious billboards won't convert anyone to religion, but more power to them.

speaking for myself...
as a child i was subjected to the understanding that if i didn't pray something bad will happen as that was taught to me as a child in sunday school...

maybe i'm not alone in this, but perhaps atheists who put up these billboards are only dishing out what they were subjected to for a big and important part of their lives....their fragile youth.

cablescavenger

Hi Christine

Excuse me if I am talking from ignorance but I haven't seen the billboards because I haven't been to the US yet.

I am assuming that the idea of advertising is to increase membership and revenues of the church, so they will be looking to attract people of other faiths, and the non religious 15% out there with spare money in their purse.

So in the interest of fairness aren't the atheists free to appeal to whomever they want?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
accept the reality that no one is in control

well, the laws that hold the universe together surely show that someone is in control

the order of the universe, the regulations of the stars and galaxies, the laws of physics and even of our own biological clock tells us that there is certainly someone who has set things in motion and keeps them moving.

waitasec

Veteran Member
well, the laws that hold the universe together surely show that someone is in control

the order of the universe, the regulations of the stars and galaxies, the laws of physics and even of our own biological clock tells us that there is certainly someone who has set things in motion and keeps them moving.

but you are not in control are you...
that is the point Pegg.

Me Myself

Back to my username
It is not really prozelitising. They aren´t telling you what to believe, they are telling you what not to. As this may be similar, it ends up not being.

I mean, if I put a billboard that says "Odin and other myths" because I know that the area believes in Odin and I don´t (in this example), am I prozelitising?

That is another debate interely.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I mean, things are really upside down when telling people that They are not sinners that diserve hell if it wasn´t for the mercy of a being that has not yet been proven is prozelitising.