• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Atheists at it again?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I mean, things are really upside down when telling people that They are not sinners that diserve hell if it wasn´t for the mercy of a being that has not yet been proven is prozelitising.
It's not proselytizing, it's posturing in an effort to get attention: silly, but apparently effective.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Hi Christine

Excuse me if I am talking from ignorance but I haven't seen the billboards because I haven't been to the US yet.

I am assuming that the idea of advertising is to increase membership and revenues of the church, so they will be looking to attract people of other faiths, and the non religious 15% out there with spare money in their purse.

So in the interest of fairness aren't the atheists free to appeal to whomever they want?

You have to keep in mind that you don't have to tithe just for visiting a Church. And Churches are not the money-grubbing places people make them out to be. A few are, I can't deny that. And if they don't have any Church listed, then the point is moot. :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
It's not proselytizing, it's posturing in an effort to get attention: silly, but apparently effective.

I agree that I doubt the billboards do much.

Must people won´t change their minds about things like this over a billboard.

I do say that it is not prozelitising, nor it is immoral, nor should it be seen as "rude".

What I do can say is that the billboards do make a kind of statement that is worthwhile to a point: atheism is as okay as theism.

Now, naturally many of you will say that that is not what the billboards say, and I agree.

What I mean is that I do believe they are good billboards at least in the sense that they expresm atheism is out there, and has as much (at least) legal right to be as theism.

It´s not much, but is a way forward (and less pitty billboards on favour of atheism would probably also help on it :p )

cablescavenger

You have to keep in mind that you don't have to tithe just for visiting a Church. And Churches are not the money-grubbing places people make them out to be. A few are, I can't deny that. And if they don't have any Church listed, then the point is moot. :)

Who are the advertisements aimed at then? If there is no purpose behind them, why aren't they all banned?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems the billboards are intended to provide support to people who are closet atheists and perhaps persuade them to come out of the closet. That's not the same thing as trying to convert people to atheism.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Who are the advertisements aimed at then? If there is no purpose behind them, why aren't they all banned?

Who said they didn't have a purpose? They have the same purpose as the atheist billboards (at least, I think so). Neither one is very effective for it's intended purpose, though. I just said that money wasn't the motivator, most likely.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It seems the billboards are intended to provide support to people who are closet atheists and perhaps persuade them to come out of the closet. That's not the same thing as trying to convert people to atheism.

That would be more effective, if that was the reason. :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That would be more effective, if that was the reason. :D
And that is the reason. From the American Atheists' web site:

The purpose of these boards is to advertise the Reason Rally and the American Atheists National Convention to the atheists in the Muslim and Jewish Communities. Insular communities like these are designed to squelch individualism and religious criticism, making the atheists in these communities feel particularly alone -- they are not.

They are indeed, quite plentiful, as we gather from emails and the former Jews and Muslims in our ranks. Our new boards acknowledge the closeted atheists in these communities and invite them to the Reason Rally and convention, where they will meet others like themselves, share stories, have fun, and return with enough knowledge and support to allow them to make their own decisions in their lives. They have choices.

American Atheists | Billboards2011

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
why would it stop the discussion?

i'm just pointing out the disclaimers of why one "has the right" to be offended by any of these billboards as if their rights are being taken away somehow when words are posted in a particular context for anyone who can read them.
when their not.

i almost want to ask, are their certain thoughts that are somehow illegal to have?

No but sometimes it IS illegal to offend someone else. Just sayin'.

Do I think any of the billboards we've been discussing should be illegal? No. But that doesn't mean they're tasteful or edifying.

waitasec

Veteran Member
but aren't you comparing oranges and apples?

if i were to hit you or to call you a racial slur it is not even in the same ballpark as posting a billboard...'you know god isn't real'
so my question to you is why would you equate the 2?

Do I think any of the billboards we've been discussing should be illegal? No. But that doesn't mean they're tasteful or edifying.

so?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Do you think derogatory racial comments are more offensive than derogatory religious comments?

My major objection is that it could be seen as being derogatory rather than merely thought provoking.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Do you think derogatory racial comments are more offensive than derogatory religious comments?
yes. why because the derogatory racial comments are personal
derogatory religious comments are not...because the person isn't the religion

My major objection is that it could be seen as being derogatory rather than merely thought provoking.

if no physical or mental harm is done...i have no problems on either end other than i find it distasteful...but then again, so what if i do...
:)

InformedIgnorance

Racial comments are no more personal than religious comments are; a person is no less a member of their religion than they are a member of their race.

Though you might suggest that because religion is a state of mind/'soul' it is a choice, well I think that has some rather amusing parallels with some religion's claims that sexuality is also a choice (bah thats another matter lol), however would derogatory comments about a person's sexuality be any less affronting? Simply because it is a state of mind/'soul' does not mean it is any less offensive to be the subject of derogatory remarks - comments against religion are just as offensive to some people as comments against race are to others - to suggest otherwise is to belittle the importance of religion to some people.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username

I don´t find them tasteful from an advertizing point of view (phh they are bland)

But they certainly serve the purpose they were made for if they were made merely to remember closet atheists that they are not alone.

So whatever they are, they are effective, and even, compassionate towards their Target Group.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Though you might suggest that because religion is a state of mind/'soul' it is a choice, well I think that has some rather amusing parallels with some religion's claims that sexuality is also a choice (bah thats another matter lol), however would derogatory comments about a person's sexuality be any less affronting? Simply because it is a state of mind/'soul' does not mean it is any less offensive to be the subject of derogatory remarks - comments against religion are just as offensive to some people as comments against race are to others - to suggest otherwise is to belittle the importance of religion to some people.

Okay, I will pretend for a second this is not ridiculous:

Then billboards of "Repent today and be saved" should be EXTREMELY ""racists"" against the atheist´s religious "color" (or lack of :p ) ?

I mean if what you said was really true no one would ever change religions.

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

I agree that those billboards are offensive - heck I even said earlier that those 'Jesus Saves' billboards could potentially be seen as offensive since they imply that non believers NEED to be saved.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I agree that those billboards are offensive - heck I even said earlier that those 'Jesus Saves' billboards could potentially be seen as offensive since they imply that non believers NEED to be saved.

it implies that non-believers are doomed to the worst state beyond every invisonement for ever and ever and ever :sarcastic

But then religion in itself is offensive if spoken about.

to compare it with racism makes every sort of completely crazy problems.

The billboards aren´t saying that christians or theists are stupid, they are merely saying they believe they are wrong in that specific area. That is not "any"ism fior crying outloud.