• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

amazing!!

1. I do not believe in Allah's Divinity, that is He is the Lord, the Creator, the Sovereign, nor the Manager of any affairs.
  2. I do not believe in Allah's Godship; that is, He is the True God, and I believe that every other deity is equally false.
  3. I do not believe in God, the supposed father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
  4. I do not believe in Jesus Christ, his alleged only son our lord.
  5. I do not believe in the holy spirit.
Sorry, I can't help it. It's what my brain concludes for me.

DO YOU believe in LOVE ??

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have not bothered to do the calculation myself but most of those I find point to the "golden mean" of latitude being about 19km south of Mecca. Though using the north and south pole as the factors for the golden mean would imply every location on that latitude being special in that regard.

edit: And accounting for the shift in the continental plates would not account for the difference.
A while back, someone made a similar claim about Mecca being at a "divine" latitude and longitude. I'll have to find the thread.

One thing that occurred to me then was that longitude isn't some number that exists on its own; it's a measure of the relationship between a point on the Earth and the origin point for longitude: Greenwich.

If the longitude of Mecca was ordained by God, then this means it's the relationship between Mecca and Greenwich that has divine importance. If it weren't for Britain's domination of the sea for centuries and its colonial past, we'd have measured longitude from someplace else.

So... if the longitude of Mecca is the product of God, then it would mean that Britain and the Royal Navy hold divine authority to dominate the oceans.

... which would mean, among other things, that Muslims shouldn't get upset when RN ships visit the Arabian peninsula. :D

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
NO , but if you believe in love with out seeing it what's the problem in believing in god with out seeing him ???
Again, love, like hate, anger, fondness, are emotions. Existing only within our brains.
You have equated god to something that only exists within our brains.
A pretty good analogy really.

MSizer

MSizer
Keep 'em coming aymen, I went and got my costume on, so let 'em fly. That's my buddy Evo to my right. His grandfather and mine were cousins.

msizer-albums-w-o-picture1898-captain-atheism-evo.jpg

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Surely you don't believe Mecca is the centre of the earth because of it's location on a 2-dimensional map... the world would have to be flat for that to make... hold on a minute... OMG... perhaps the world is flat! Praise Allah!

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
NO , but if you believe in love with out seeing it what's the problem in believing in god with out seeing him ???

Can a blind man describe an apple?

Yes he can, and probably better than someone with sight. Apart from color he could give you a detailed description of its scent, it shape, its texture etc. So sight is not absolutely necessary to experience and contemplate things about and within us.

Have you seen a Brolga dance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJVmINmtZg&NR=1

Would you call that love, what do you think this bird is experiencing? Is it an automated breeding response preprogrammed into its brain? Love like hunger, pain, anger, pleasure are emotions, the perceived result of several simultaneous neuronal excitations in the midbrain limbic system. Oxytocin, dopamine, acetylcholine and noradrenaline are active in the process giving us that warm cossy feeling and heart flutters. Its a purely neurological process, complicated by interference from our higher forebrain.

Limbic system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My point is love like all other emotions are a mechanism that modifies behavior to obtain an optimal survival state, in this instance by promoting breeding and young rearing. It can be mimicked with some drugs eg MDMA THC, or through electrical stimulation.

There is nothing mystical or supernatural about it. So just because we feel love and cannot touch or see it does not mean we cannot explain it through natural neurological processes. It does not imply the existence of a super fairy called god, but we can create a mental image of a god and associate the emotion with it. Its called imagination. If you believe in your imagination then that can be fine except when it clashes with reality.

Cheers

Last edited:
Can a blind man describe an apple?

Yes he can, and probably better than someone with sight. Apart from color he could give you a detailed description of its scent, it shape, its texture etc. So sight is not absolutely necessary to experience and contemplate things about and within us.

Have you seen a Brolga dance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJVmINmtZg&NR=1

Would you call that love, what do you think this bird is experiencing? Is it an automated breeding response preprogrammed into its brain? Love like hunger, pain, anger, pleasure are emotions, the perceived result of several simultaneous neuronal excitations in the midbrain limbic system. Oxytocin, dopamine, acetylcholine and noradrenaline are active in the process giving us that warm cossy feeling and heart flutters. Its a purely neurological process, complicated by interference from our higher forebrain.

Limbic system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My point is love like all other emotions are a mechanism that modifies behavior to obtain an optimal survival state, in this instance by promoting breeding and young rearing. It can be mimicked with some drugs eg MDMA THC, or through electrical stimulation.

There is nothing mystical or supernatural about it. So just because we feel love and cannot touch or see it does not mean we cannot explain it through natural neurological processes. It does not imply the existence of a super fairy called god, but we can create a mental image of it. Its called imagination. If you believe in your imagination then that can be fine except when it clashes with reality.

Cheers

you seem to be a very educated man may i ask how did u became an atheist cause am sure at some time of your life u had a religion ??

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
you seem to be a very educated man may i ask how did u became an atheist cause am sure at some time of your life u had a religion ??
From what I recall he comes from a Christian background, but tossed it aside when he was in his early teens. Maturity has that effect on some. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
and how about you?
Atheist, born and raised. Took a stab at Buddhism, then Vaisnava thought for about a decade, all told. Tossed all aside in favor of personal exploration and self-realization... it's a work in progress, as it were.