• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only person who can't stand classical music?

Honestly I can't stand classical. Most people I know listen to a bit of classical here and there, like Mozart for instance, but I could never sit through more than 30 seconds of it. I've tried to get into it, but for some reason it just grates on my nerves and I switch to something else. I don't know why, I just cannot stand it.

Besides it always just struck me as snooty and pretentious, and it just all sounds the same to me.

Anyone else get this impression or is it just me?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It depends upon which classical music. Some of the stuff is so sterile & boring, I'd rather listen to Sean Hannity scream a guest...almost.
But if Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring or Beethoven's 9th comes on my truck's radio, then my driving goes from tedious to shibumi.

Huey09

He who struggles with God
That was a depressing read.

Definitely just you.

What do you like? Dubstep, R 'n B, rap, pop?

Ummm I like some classical and also underground rap, mostly political among other genres. Listening to rap doesn't mean you're less cultured nor does listening to classical make you able to appreciate "real music". That's kinda like how people argued that rock and heavy metal was SATAN INCARNATE but crooning or whatever Frank Sinatra sings is acceptable to everyone. Just my opinon:shrug:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Ummm I like some classical and also underground rap, mostly political among other genres. Listening to rap doesn't mean you're less cultured nor does listening to classical make you able to appreciate "real music". That's kinda like how people argued that rock and heavy metal was SATAN INCARNATE but crooning or whatever Frank Sinatra sings is acceptable to everyone. Just my opinon:shrug:
Never said it did. ;)

Draka

Wonder Woman
My father is a pianist and I grew up hearing all kinds of music come pouring out of the room next to my bedroom at night, classical included in that. I love classical music along with many other types of music. Perhaps you just don't give it a fair chance.

Also, here's a little gift (something familiar done a little differently):
[youtube]SSPQNOLYUJk[/youtube]

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Maybe You haven't allowed yourself to really listen to classical music with an open mind. Granted much of classical music can be an acquired taste, but like Rev said Beethoven's 9th is hard to classify as snooty or pretentious.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I enjoy some classical.

My problem is that I am almost completely indiferent to almost all music. With some notorious exceptions.

Actually, Julieta Venegas is the first someone that I actually have liked more than one song from her/him :D .

Generally if a group has one SINGLE so I like, that's like, a miracle.

With classical there is an exception to this. I ve liked several stuff of vivaldi and of Grieg.

Not by far very knowledgeable on classical, but I enjoy some. Others do bore me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My father is a pianist and I grew up hearing all kinds of music come pouring out of the room next to my bedroom at night, classical included in that. I love classical music along with many other types of music. Perhaps you just don't give it a fair chance.

Also, here's a little gift (something familiar done a little differently):
[youtube]SSPQNOLYUJk[/youtube]
Now, donna you take me wrong, lassie, but that turned me stomach inside out.

One thing which attracted me to more modern 'classical' music is movie scores. This stuff is often atonal, grating, etc, but it evokes what I recall of the movies, making it more accessible. (Fancy sounding language, eh?) Some might think it nothing more than pandering sound effects, but I love this stuff....Alien, Aliens, Psycho. Bernard Hermann, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman can do some great things.

[youtube]BK9cPymRVbs[/youtube]
01. Main Title (Aliens Soundtrack) - James Horner - YouTube

Over-the-top cartoony scores can be wonderful too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK9cPymRVbs

And what would Clockwork Orange be without Wendy Carlos' synthesized Beethoven?
Nothing gets the old krovy pumping like some good old ultra-violence set to Ludwig Van.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixzhWGIn55k

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Classical Music was my first love before metal. It is quite personal to me honestly. It is the full anti-cultural element I was exposed to growing up. I absorbed nothing of my environment and I disliked ALL music assuming only rap and R&B was all that exist along with rock. When I was exposed to classical music and the works of Modest Mussorgsky, Bach and Tchaikovsky I was truly happy. I should also mention how Vivaldi made me feel alive for the first time. :D

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I like classical music just fine. My favorite pieces are ''In the Hall of the Mountain King'' and ''Moonlight Sonata''.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Among my favorites are Dvorak's New World Symphony, alongside Beethoven's 9th and Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (Kazuhito Yama****a's guitar version, Vladimir Ashkenazi's piano version and Ravel's orchestration). I love Mars, the Bringer of War from Holst's The Planets.

Alceste

Vagabond
I like good music in every genre, including classical. I also play classical piano.

It strikes me as more snooty and pretentious to dismiss an entire genre of music based on stereotypes of who listens to it than it is to listen to whatever catches your ear with an open mind.

If I had to choose between being locked in a room forever with nothing but a Justin Bieber CD, or to be locked in with Mozart's Requiem, l wouldn't even have to think about it.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
[youtube]kLp_Hh6DKWc[/youtube]

Listen tot his classical song. This is by far one of the greatest ever composed and features the perfect element of acceleration in its continuous moment of perpetual ascendance into intensity.

Galen.Iksnudnard

Personally I can take it or leave it. I don't see it as being any better or worse than other genres of music, and there's definitely "bad" classical music out there. Debussy for instance strikes me as being very dissonant, and Wagner's operas give me a headache.

Mozart and Vivaldi are OK to me, but I prefer film soundtracks like John Williams or Hans Zimmer.