• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I missing something here? Am I just an intolerant jerk or is this a legitimate question?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
i was commenting on what kathryn said:

i'm just looking at the possibility that disabilities can perhaps find a way to develop talent.

Well, some people can and some people can't overcome their disabilities.

My point is that there's a difference between dealing with a disability in a job that focuses on other strengths that a person has, vs a person with a disability specifically targeting a career that requires exactly the strength that they do not possess. I mean, if they want to do so, and someone else wants to hire them, that's their own business decision, but that doesn't mean I have to admire it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
i was commenting on what kathryn said:

i'm just looking at the possibility that disabilities can perhaps find a way to develop talent.
Oh, I see. Sorry for the kneejerk reaction, then. I do agree that disability can be overcome. It's just a bit beyond the standard variation of ability, by definition. My pathetic helplessness in the face of mathematics is a weakness, not a disability, for instance.

It's truly astonishing how many people use such statements as an excuse for not accommodating genuine disability, or showing a shred of compassion.

Kathryn

Oh, I see. Sorry for the kneejerk reaction, then. I do agree that disability can be overcome. It's just a bit beyond the standard variation of ability, by definition. My pathetic helplessness in the face of mathematics is a weakness, not a disability, for instance.

It's truly astonishing how many people use such statements as an excuse for not accommodating genuine disability, or showing a shred of compassion.

I agree.

A few years ago, I needed to hire a personal assistant for some clerical work. I hired a girl who was legally blind, and who could not drive - but her references were fantastic. I bought the equipment she needed to magnify her computer screen, and then I just let her rip.

She did a fantastic job and never missed a day of work. She also had a great attitude overall.

I would not hesitate to hire a person with a disability which could be reasonably accommodated. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I would go out of my way TO hire them if they were able to perform the requirements of the job with reasonable accommodation.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I agree.

A few years ago, I needed to hire a personal assistant for some clerical work. I hired a girl who was legally blind, and who could not drive - but her references were fantastic. I bought the equipment she needed to magnify her computer screen, and then I just let her rip.

She did a fantastic job and never missed a day of work. She also had a great attitude overall.

I would not hesitate to hire a person with a disability which could be reasonably accommodated. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I would go out of my way TO hire them if they were able to perform the requirements of the job with reasonable accommodation.
That's all I ask, personally: reasonable accommodation. If I just can't do the job, I don't want some well-meaning employer to allow me to make a fool of myself.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Well, some people can and some people can't overcome their disabilities.

My point is that there's a difference between dealing with a disability in a job that focuses on other strengths that a person has, vs a person with a disability specifically targeting a career that requires exactly the strength that they do not possess. I mean, if they want to do so, and someone else wants to hire them, that's their own business decision, but that doesn't mean I have to admire it.

i understand.

i'm just giving you my POV that even in moments of limitations we can find our strengths in other aspects.

for instance, i hope this isn't too techy for you...i love the beatles recordings...however, they were limited with their recording capabilities, 4 tracks...today we have unlimited amounts of tracks to record on...
had they been unlimited with their recording capabilities like we are today i don't think we would have insight as to why certain things work in recordings and certain things don't

does that make sense?

waitasec

Veteran Member

yes it is astonishing....

Kathryn

i understand.

i'm just giving you my POV that even in moments of limitations we can find our strengths in other aspects.

for instance, i hope this isn't too techy for you...i love the beatles recordings...however, they were limited with their recording capabilities, 4 tracks...today we have unlimited amounts of tracks to record on...
had they been unlimited with their recording capabilities like we are today i don't think we would have insight as to why certain things work in recordings and certain things don't

does that make sense?

Sort of. But they were musical geniuses regardless of the equipment limitations. In other words, the disabilities weren't an integral part of them personally. Their talents were specifically writing and performing music, which they did with great success. They did not even need REASONABLE accommodation to do so.

Chisti

Oh I could do it - it would just be slower and less accurate and I would need accommodations made for those factors. Maybe more time than other people and someone to double check my work. But HEY - I want that job and it's my right to pursue it!

HerDotness is right - the guy's speech impediment is very distracting. An integral part of his job description is CLEAR SPEECH - which he DOES NOT HAVE. So I would say that he's not doing his job successfully.

See, by your own admission, you need lots and lots of help even to get started on the job. This man, otoh, needed no help.

Kathryn

See, by your own admission, you need lots and lots of help even to get started on the job. This man, otoh, needed no help.

There's a big difference between having a job and performing a job well.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Sort of. But they were musical geniuses regardless of the equipment limitations. In other words, the disabilities weren't an integral part of them personally. Their talents were specifically writing and performing music, which they did with great success. They did not even need REASONABLE accommodation to do so.

their recordings revolutionized how music was recorded.

we can go back even further, think of how big bands recorded...everyone, including the singer, had to be spot on...because of the limitation of recording to 1 track and we have wonderful performances captured because of that limitation

which is why i brought up helen keller...
aside from her disabilities that limited her capability to see and hear, her mind was full of wonderful ideas that gave insight to the very being of a person in a way no one else could.

Kathryn

their recordings revolutionized how music was recorded.

we can go back even further, think of how big bands recorded...everyone, including the singer, had to be spot on...because of the limitation of recording to 1 track and we have wonderful performances captured because of that limitation

which is why i brought up helen keller...
aside from her disabilities that limited her capability to see and hear, her mind was full of wonderful ideas that gave insight to the very being of a person in a way no one else could.

True - and she made a living AROUND her disabilities and talents, not simply in spite of her disabilities. In other words, she focused her career and life goals around her talents AND her disabilities.

She did not say, "I am going to choose a career that requires eyesight."

An announcer's CAREER requires clear speech. It is the very nature of the job - not a side element of the job that can be reasonably accommodated.

waitasec

Veteran Member
True - and she made a living AROUND her disabilities and talents, not simply in spite of her disabilities. In other words, she focused her career and life goals around her talents AND her disabilities.

She did not say, "I am going to choose a career that requires eyesight."

An announcer's CAREER requires clear speech. It is the very nature of the job - not a side element of the job that can be reasonably accommodated.

i hear you...

you're right, i understand what you're saying.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
OK, so I'm watching the local evening news, on a station that's an award winning, top rated local station, and lo and behold, the weekend weather guy has a speech impediment. I mean - a noticeable, pronounced speech impediment.

Now - I'm all for equal opportunity, but honestly - am I just a jerk or am I justified in wondering why a person who has a speech impediment would choose a career which focuses attention on that one particular area of weakness?

Is this taking reasonable accommodation too far?
Well maybe he is a scientist. Degreed in studying and predicting the weather? What is the nature of the impediment and how bad is it?

Last edited:

Kathryn

Well maybe he is a scientist. Degreed in studying and predicting the weather? What is the nature of the impediment and how bad is it?

It's hard to describe his impediment - it's not a lisp, it's an apparent inability to say Rs and Ws and and Ls. Similar (literally) to Elmer Fudd. It makes him fairly difficult to understand. He's discernible, but honestly - should we have to struggle to understand a weather commentator?

Especially in Tornado Alley where severe weather including warnings is common?

Iti oj

Premium Member
It's hard to describe his impediment - it's not a lisp, it's an apparent inability to say Rs and Ws and and Ls. Similar (literally) to Elmer Fudd. It makes him fairly difficult to understand. He's discernible, but honestly - should we have to struggle to understand a weather commentator?

Especially in Tornado Alley where severe weather including warnings is common?
well i suppose the girl with the honkers makes a good choice. do you think you could find me a youtube video? and how accurate is his weather reports.

Kathryn

well i suppose the girl with the honkers makes a good choice. do you think you could find me a youtube video? and how accurate is his weather reports.

Please don't imply that I prefer honkers over a speech impediment. Honestly, surely we've got better choices than simply those two.

I prefer not to give you an example because that would identify where I live. Sorry.

I have no idea how accurate his weather reports are - in part because I'm so distracted by his speech impediment. And also because I rarely watch that station's news anymore.

Sorry.

But I do believe you're missing my main point. To be honest, I don't even particularly care how accurate his weather reports are, because his speech impediment is so distracting.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Please don't imply that I prefer honkers over a speech impediment. Honestly, surely we've got better choices than simply those two.

I prefer not to give you an example because that would identify where I live. Sorry.

I have no idea how accurate his weather reports are - in part because I'm so distracted by his speech impediment. And also because I rarely watch that station's news anymore.

Sorry.

But I do believe you're missing my main point. To be honest, I don't even particularly care how accurate his weather reports are, because his speech impediment is so distracting.
Well then sounds like equal employment gone to far. perhaps he has friends higher up. I did not mean to implty you liked honkers only that i do and perhaps a jab at the industries history.