• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I missing something here? Am I just an intolerant jerk or is this a legitimate question?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Then, the station should put the guy at the receptionist's desk where he can get his "therapy" in more limited public exposure or another off-camera position where he'll be speaking only to technicians and other station employees. That's enough therapy and practice dealing with his problem.

Have we gotten so carried away with giving the disabled opportunities that we think a disabled person must be placed in a position he obviously cannot do effectively? That the station brought in a guy who could speak clearly one night when storm alerts needed to be given says that even they are aware that the regular guy isn't capable of performing reasonably well.

Bet the guy is a relative of the station's owner.

why can't he do it effectively? did it rain after a forecast of sunshine?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Actually, being an extremely open minded person who encourages people to overcome their disabilities (and has actively hired people with disabilities in the past, joyfully giving them opportunities), I'm not uncomfortable at all with the idea of the disabled working in situations that may even require me to be more patient, more accommodating. Not only do I not mind it, I am glad to see it and glad to be able to be gracious and supportive.

I just think that we all have limitations and most of us may even have some form of disability. I wouldn't seek out a specific job where my weaknesses were a distraction from my strengths. I just think it's odd.

maybe because this is what he wants to do.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
maybe because this is what he wants to do.

[youtube]2C2W_O9BX4g[/youtube]
The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want (Live 1969) - YouTube

I went down to the demonstration
To get my fair share of abuse
Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration
If we don't we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse"

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

Look, more power to the guy. Meanwhile, it bugs me. I guess I'm an intolerant jerk. I just think it's ODD that someone would choose a career that specifically highlights a pronounced weakness.

waitasec

Veteran Member
[youtube]2C2W_O9BX4g[/youtube]
The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want (Live 1969) - YouTube

I went down to the demonstration
To get my fair share of abuse
Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration
If we don't we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse"

But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

Look, more power to the guy. Meanwhile, it bugs me. I guess I'm an intolerant jerk. I just think it's ODD that someone would choose a career that specifically highlights a pronounced weakness.

right so maybe you should watch a different news program
:D

cause he's got the job, doesn't he

Kathryn

right so maybe you should watch a different news program
:D

cause he's got the job, doesn't he

Yep. By the way, not sure if it has a thing to do with this guy or not, but that particular station has lost a LOT of it's viewership over the past five years. There's been a mass exodus of their key anchors and news people - I know, because I used to work there as their Internet Sales Director. I was one of the first to leave and then a whole group exited after me (not because I left, but because of a variety of internal issues). A few years ago they were definitely the top news program and local station but they've seen a steady erosion of their standings over the past five years.

They are definitely slipping in the ratings.

And I do usually watch a different station - when I watch TV at all, which is rare.

Kathryn

:bow: to the almighty dollar

I didn't say it was right or wrong. It just is what it is.

I specifically left that industry because frankly I don't like it. I can't sell something I'm not passionate about.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I didn't say it was right or wrong. It just is what it is.

I specifically left that industry because frankly I don't like it. I can't sell something I'm not passionate about.

oh i'm sorry, i didn't mean to imply you did...

i was just commenting on how this system works
:)

Kathryn

oh i'm sorry, i didn't mean to imply you did...

i was just commenting on how this system works
:)

No problem. It was an interesting work experience. They are a major news station around here and it was very interesting to see politics at work in the media.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OK, so I'm watching the local evening news, on a station that's an award winning, top rated local station, and lo and behold, the weekend weather guy has a speech impediment. I mean - a noticeable, pronounced speech impediment.

Now - I'm all for equal opportunity, but honestly - am I just a jerk or am I justified in wondering why a person who has a speech impediment would choose a career which focuses attention on that one particular area of weakness?

Is this taking reasonable accommodation too far?
Kathryn, I wonder the same thing every time the bell choir plays in my church. There's one member with crippled arms, who can't even hold the bells properly, much less move them in time. Yet there he is, smack dab in the center. To be blunt, he screws everyone up.

Speaking as a disabled person, I wouldn't want that kind of compassion.

Oh, and btw? I may be alone in this, but I've always found phrases like "differently enabled" and "handi-capable" to be painfully condescending.

Kathryn

Kathryn, I wonder the same thing every time the bell choir plays in my church. There's one member with crippled arms, who can't even hold the bells properly, much less move them in time. Yet there he is, smack dab in the center. To be blunt, he screws everyone up.

Speaking as a disabled person, I wouldn't want that kind of compassion.

Oh, and btw? I may be alone in this, but I've always found phrases like "differently enabled" and "handi-capable" to be painfully condescending.

Thanks for your insight and opinion on this. As a person who is basically not disabled in any visible way, I appreciate hearing your perspective.

I wouldn't want to target and pursue and then force my limitations on a particular career or hobby. But hey, that's just me.

Kathryn

i believe we all have disabilities in one form or another

Me too. And I believe that we all have gifts or talents as well. I prefer that people match their talents to their jobs but hey, that's just me!