• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I missing something here? Am I just an intolerant jerk or is this a legitimate question?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
OK, so I'm watching the local evening news, on a station that's an award winning, top rated local station, and lo and behold, the weekend weather guy has a speech impediment. I mean - a noticeable, pronounced speech impediment.

Now - I'm all for equal opportunity, but honestly - am I just a jerk or am I justified in wondering why a person who has a speech impediment would choose a career which focuses attention on that one particular area of weakness?

Is this taking reasonable accommodation too far?

Kathryn

I mean, if this guy is qualified for a position in newscasting, then I demand to become a runway model for Victoria's Secret.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
1) I think if he can be understood, it's cool. I'm impressed by people who put themselves out there like that despite the obvious hurdle(s).

2) I would love to see VS add more variety to their line up. :)

Kathryn

Well, I am all for diversity and overcoming obstacles, but I think this is a bit much. In a career which FOCUSES on clear speech, it seems a stretch.

And I doubt that most people would find my 49 year old body a good advertisement for VS thong underwear. See - I know my realistic limitations, and I am not bitter about them. I can use my other strengths elsewhere, without trying to fit into a specific career which focuses on a particular characteristic of mine which is simply not my strong suit.

I feel the same way about this guy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
OK, so I'm watching the local evening news, on a station that's an award winning, top rated local station, and lo and behold, the weekend weather guy has a speech impediment. I mean - a noticeable, pronounced speech impediment.

Now - I'm all for equal opportunity, but honestly - am I just a jerk or am I justified in wondering why a person who has a speech impediment would choose a career which focuses attention on that one particular area of weakness?

I guess the bottom line depends upon if you understand what is being said through the impediment. :O)

Sometimes I think in such an unrealistically portrayed and artificially presented media world, this would be actually refreshing to come across IMV. Personally, I prefer old ladies telling the news while seated on a rocker while knitting gloves rather than painted up Barbie dolls mindlessly following a teleprompter with vacant eyes with the ticker tape below and endless pop ups in just about every corner of the screen.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Personally, I prefer old ladies telling the news while seated on a rocker while knitting gloves rather than painted up Barbie dolls mindlessly following a teleprompter with vacant eyes with the ticker tape below and endless pop ups in just about every corner of the screen.

Not me! I like looking at the weather hotties unless a storm is emanate. Then go back and bring out the guy who writes the script, I want to hear his opinion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Imagine a world without performers with speech impediments.....
No Sylvester The Cat.
No Popeye.
No Foghorn Leghorn.
No Elmer Fudd.

Would you live in a world where opera wallowed in correct pronunciation?
"Kill the rabbit" just sounds wrong.

[youtube]Yxiv3CBMS4M[/youtube]
YouTube - Kill The Wabbit

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
If you don't like the guy,
watch another channel.
Just like anything else.

He managed to land the job,
I say good for him.

blackout

Violet.
I guess the bottom line depends upon if you understand what is being said through the impediment. :O)

Sometimes I think in such an unrealistically portrayed and artificially presented media world, this would be actually refreshing to come across IMV. Personally, I prefer old ladies telling the news while seated on a rocker while knitting gloves rather than painted up Barbie dolls mindlessly following a teleprompter with vacant eyes with the ticker tape below and endless pop ups in just about every corner of the screen.

I get my weather online.
It's always there in detail,
exactly whenever you want it.
Also, whatever 'news' I choose to peruse.
No announcer/s necessary.

I don't even have television to watch the nightly news.
and if I did (have television)
I still wouldn't watch the nightly news.
The weather announcer is the very least of my issues.

Dezzie

Well, I am all for diversity and overcoming obstacles, but I think this is a bit much. In a career which FOCUSES on clear speech, it seems a stretch.

And I doubt that most people would find my 49 year old body a good advertisement for VS thong underwear. See - I know my realistic limitations, and I am not bitter about them. I can use my other strengths elsewhere, without trying to fit into a specific career which focuses on a particular characteristic of mine which is simply not my strong suit.

I feel the same way about this guy.

hmm... how bad was his speech impediment? Was he studdering or was it something else? I don't think there is anything wrong with giving someone else an opportunity to do something they love. No one should be turned down if they are good at their job. I find it wonderful that he was given a chance. Not many place would do that. If he's not good at his job, I am sure his boss will take care of the matter.

Kathryn

I'm sure that if ratings go down, his boss will take care of the matter. We are, after all, talking about the world of television, where ratings are everything. And I do mean everything.

I'm still waiting to see a forty nine year old model strutting down the catwalk in a thong at a Victoria's Secret fashion show. Not holding my breath though!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
[youtube]tInDH2FeXaM[/youtube]
YouTube - ONN's Autistic Reporter II

Oh, how I love the Onion News Network.

In response to the OP, I guess it would matter if the quality and clarity of the news reporting was diminished. Though, I could see myself being more amused by the whole thing, though that's probably the wrong response as well.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Enh. If given the choice, I'd prefer to get my weather from a meteorologist who speaks a bit funny but knows his stuff than someone who is very polished but brain-dead when it comes to what he's saying.

Kathryn

Enh. If given the choice, I'd prefer to get my weather from a meteorologist who speaks a bit funny but knows his stuff than someone who is very polished but brain-dead when it comes to what he's saying.

I agree, but those aren't the only options.

I prefer to get my weather news from a person who speaks clearly AND knows his stuff.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As long as you can understand him, then why even bother? I know a guy with Tourettes syndrome who will sometimes, or very often on a bad day, let out a yelp. He is also a teacher, semi-pro director, a renowned children's theatre director, and a confident speech giver. Sure he may get stuck on a word or two, and it's very obvious especially when his neck and arm muscles tick when it happens, but the quality is good enough that no one minds.

Kathryn

I think people are assuming that the quality of the weather forecast on this program is great. It's not - it's very average at best with this guy at the helm.

Add to that the speech impediment and it's frustrating.

But hey, that's just me. I'll just watch the weather on another channel.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"

You're just a big jerk......just kiddin......

I agree with you. A speech impediment is a noticeable deficiency perhaps his words ere lead enough by their standards

Koldo

Outstanding Member

You are..........NOT a jerk! :D
It is certainly a basic requirement in this kind of job to have decent speech capabilities, to say the least.

It is sad to think this guy may actually want to go for a career he can't work on properly. If he loses this job, he is unlikely to get another one of the same kind.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
[youtube]tInDH2FeXaM[/youtube]
YouTube - ONN's Autistic Reporter II

Oh, how I love the Onion News Network.

In response to the OP, I guess it would matter if the quality and clarity of the news reporting was diminished. Though, I could see myself being more amused by the whole thing, though that's probably the wrong response as well.
I don't get it....usually the Onion is funny, but this is just good reporting....nothing odd about it at all.