• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I an atheist?

Am I an atheist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JJ50

Am I an atheist?

I attend church weekly, and am involved in committees and small groups there. I try to follow the teachings of Jesus, the ones about loving your neighbor and caring for the vulnerable. I don't believe Jesus performed any supernatural miracles or that he raised from the dead. I feel a deep sense of spiritual connection to other people, animals, and plants. I believe that the universe emanated from a single source, and that everything and everyone is connected in a real and profound way. But, I don't believe there is an external spirit being who exists separate from corporeal, living beings. When I talk about "God," I mean the unifying connection that is part of all of us, the fact that we all came from the same big bang and share a common future. And it is this concept of "God" which I believe compels us to care for one another as ourselves. I do not believe there is any being who can hear or answer prayers. And, I do not believe in any kind of afterlife outside of memory, legacy, and decomposition which feeds other life. Am I an atheist?

I would describe you as an agnostic like myself.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Am I an atheist?

I attend church weekly, and am involved in committees and small groups there. I try to follow the teachings of Jesus, the ones about loving your neighbor and caring for the vulnerable. I don't believe Jesus performed any supernatural miracles or that he raised from the dead. I feel a deep sense of spiritual connection to other people, animals, and plants. I believe that the universe emanated from a single source, and that everything and everyone is connected in a real and profound way. But, I don't believe there is an external spirit being who exists separate from corporeal, living beings. When I talk about "God," I mean the unifying connection that is part of all of us, the fact that we all came from the same big bang and share a common future. And it is this concept of "God" which I believe compels us to care for one another as ourselves. I do not believe there is any being who can hear or answer prayers. And, I do not believe in any kind of afterlife outside of memory, legacy, and decomposition which feeds other life. Am I an atheist?

The definition of atheism is
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

It is not specific about which gods and you obviously have a belief in personal god, my conclusion, you cannot, accord to the definition be an atheist

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Am I an atheist?

Are you an atheist?

It sure sounds like it...
In it's simplest form, you are an atheist if you answer "no" to following questions:
- do you believe the supernatural is real?
- do you believe a God, capital 'G', exists?

Reading your post, it seems to me you'ld indeed answer "no" to both.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Am I an atheist?

Yes, considering strictly what you have said.
If you don't believe in a supernatural deity nor a force of nature endowed with consciousness, I would label you as an atheist.

Erebus

The definition of atheism is
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

It is not specific about which gods and you obviously have a belief in personal god, my conclusion, you cannot, accord to the definition be an atheist

Pretty much this.

There are a lot of god concepts out there, many of them aren't even remotely similar to the Abrahamic deity. Ultimately though the distinction between atheist and theist really isn't all that important. If you prefer to think of yourself as an atheist, I'm not going to tell you not to.

David T

Premium Member
Am I an atheist?

Seems closer to the text than to theology. You are aware of a larger than human world, is that an actual Or a myth?

Some believe it exists, some dont believe it exists, some are agnostic. I have no idea what belief has to do with it or much of anything really.

Audie

Veteran Member
Am I an atheist?

There was a New Yorker magazine cartoon-
Broadway play, an actor has collapsed on the stage!
Another is calling out, "Is there a doctor in the house?"

In the audience, one man is halfway to his feet
indecisive..

He is asking himself, "Am I a doctor?"

When you see why that is funny you will have your answer.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Am I an atheist?

It's hard to say for sure - maybe you have weak deist leanings?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
When I talk about "God," I mean the unifying connection that is part of all of us, the fact that we all came from the same big bang and share a common future. And it is this concept of "God" which I believe compels us to care for one another as ourselves
That is the essence how I see it. Labels to me are not important. Love connects us all, some are more aware than others

Lee Hays

Am I an atheist?

Atheists - are against all religion.
If you can’t believe in something bigger (or A creator) your agnostic.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

May I ask where you learned this?

I've never heard of anyone describing it this way before, and it certainly isn't covered in any standard dictionaries. Not that dictionaries are the be-all and end-all of language use, mind you (because they aren't), but this is a strange take.

Lee Hays

May I ask where you learned this?

I've never heard of anyone describing it this way before, and it certainly isn't covered in any standard dictionaries. Not that dictionaries are the be-all and end-all of language use, mind you (because they aren't), but this is a strange take.

It really depends on who’s insight your looking at..

(hehe - the dictionary - for agnostic)
Definition of AGNOSTIC

Atheist view of atheism;
What is Atheism? | American Atheists

I obviously can only verify things that I see in my life....
Atheist have tried for years to remove several Crosses from local mountain tops (San Diego)

Agnostics simply say (ones I have spoken to)
They can’t believe (Can’t do it - like flying - or breathing under water)

Here’s the end-all be all (the National Geographic - lol)
The World's Newest Major Religion: No Religion

A religion - that is no religion = a religion against religion...
Ultimately in itself hypocrisy.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Rf posters are obsessed with Christianity whether they are non believers, or believers.

If anyone takes the Bible literally and as a whole then there are indeed scarcely anyone who is Christian.

I will admit there are some sweet, poetic verses about love in it, but on the whole its a mish mash of things.

Its amazing that so many people identify as Christians, and that there are so many different sects within it.

It sounds like to me you are cherry picking the religion. That seems to be what most Christians do. Imo!

Dionysus

┏(°.°)┛┗(°.°)┓┗(°.°)┛┏(°.°)┓
I'm an agnostic atheist with panentheistic leanings. You might be as well.

No. Atheism simply indicates lack of belief in a god or gods. Anti-theism denotes a stance against religion.
Agnosticism claims no certainty as to whether or not a god or gods exist.

Lee Hays

Rf posters are obsessed with Christianity whether they are non believers, or believers.

If anyone takes the Bible literally and as a whole then there are indeed scarcely anyone who is Christian.

I will admit there are some sweet, poetic verses about love in it, but on the whole its a mish mash of things.

Its amazing that so many people identify as Christians, and that there are so many different sects within it.

It sounds like to me you are cherry picking the religion. That seems to be what most Christians do. Imo!
I'm an agnostic atheist with panentheistic leanings. You might be as well.

No. Atheism simply indicates lack of belief in a god or gods. Anti-theism denotes a stance against religion.
Agnosticism claims no certainty as to whether or not a god or gods exist.

No (like you said)
Atheism is the disbelief or Denial.
Denying God is agains religion.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Am I an atheist?

If i worshipped a potato but believed that the potato was just a potato would that potato be my god?

It sounds to me like you are taking advantage of the malleability of the word god in order to relate to others. I wonder how many of us do exactly that.

Define god. If you believed the sun was a god i would call you a theist. Despite my acknowledgment that the sun does indeed exist, i am an atheist. This is not because I assert what you believe doesn't exist, but because i assert that what you believe is not a god.

Lee Hays

If i worshipped a potato but believed that the potato was just a potato would that potato be my god?

It sounds to me like you are taking advantage of the malleability of the word god in order to relate to others. I wonder how many of us do exactly that.

Define god. If you believed the sun was a god i would call you a theist. Despite my acknowledgment that the sun does indeed exist, i am an atheist. This is not because I assert what you believe doesn't exist, but because i assert that what you believe is not a god.

Why would you assert anything that I believe is anything other than what I believe?
By your own atheist definition- you can’t be atheist - You can’t say what I believe is something I don’t believe...

If you worship a potato - that potato you worship is your God.
Now - not all potato’s are God - just that one you worship. If I was to say - that potato is not a God, but only a potato - I would “not be right” since that potato is your God.

And I don’t care if you love, or worship potatoes -
I just want to help you understand -

Curious George

Veteran Member
Why would you assert anything that I believe is anything other than what I believe?
Because i believe it so.
By your own atheist definition- you can’t be atheist - You can’t say what I believe is something I don’t believe...
Sure i can. If you believed 2+2=5, i can most assuredly assert that it is not so.
If you worship a potato - that potato you worship is your God.
Now - not all potato’s are God - just that one you worship. If I was to say - that potato is not a God, but only a potato - I would “not be right” since that potato is your God.
I think the point of the potato has been lost here.
And I don’t care if you love, or worship potatoes -
I just want to help you understand -
I think before either of us helps the other understand, we will have to find common ground. At this point there is none.

Lee Hays

Because i believe it so.

Sure i can. If you believed 2+2=5, i can most assuredly assert that it is not so.

I think the point of the potato has been lost here.

I think before either of us helps the other understand, we will have to find common ground. At this point there is none.

But you have not succeeded in asserting my beliefs are not my beliefs.

Curious George

Veteran Member
But you have not succeeded in asserting my beliefs are not my beliefs.
I never said that i would assert your beliefs are not your beliefs. I said that if someone believes the sun is a god that i am an atheist not because i believe the sun does not exist but because i believe the sun is not a god.