• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agnosticism is debunked using advanced methods of Science

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Application to Agnosticism

Agnostics are making one claim: God is not decidable. But if one can neither prove nor disprove God, then God exists.
This isn't true.

I believe in God. By that, I mean "The answer to the question 'Why is there something, rather than nothing, is God." But I'm an agnostic non-theist because it's obvious that humans don't know anything important about God, not even whether God exists now or not.

Religion is fiction. "Theists" is the generic term for people who believe in such fiction. "Agnostic" is a generic term for people who don't. "Atheist" is also a generic term for people who believe that they know something important about God.
Tom

questfortruth

If I understand the Fermi Paradox correctly then that is only one of many possibilities and isn't conclusive. If humans are actually the most advanced species in the universe then other species wouldn't be more technologically more advanced than us. What is also presumed is that a more advanced civilization would care about space travel to traverse it.

There are scientific methods to check for a less advanced life as well. One determines the bio-gases in atmospheres of the planets. No such case is found.

Nope. Agnostics have made one observation: god is not defined. Therefore it is nonsensical to try to decide.
No, not agnostics, but IGnostics.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
There are scientific methods to check for a less advanced life as well. One determines the bio-gases in atmospheres of the planets. No such case is found.
Sounds like a stretch especially with how large the universe is. All it means is that we haven't found life forms in space that we have examined. Or that we cannot prove or disprove whether they have cloaking devices that interfere without examination methods.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
You might also expect that it's quoted accurately, in context, not just quote mined.

Trust me, I've dealt with theists before. Lying for God is a thing.
Tom

I was part of a religion that had an official name for lying for God called "Theocratic Warfare".

questfortruth

Sounds like a stretch especially with how large the universe is. All it means is that we haven't found life forms in space that we have examined. Or that we cannot prove or disprove whether they have cloaking devices that interfere without examination methods.
The space observation due to light-speed limit v<c is looking into past history. Then even if now the aliens can hide from us, they were ordinary beings polluting the cosmos some billion years ago.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Proof of the Second Incompleteness Theorem

The set of axioms produces statements. Some are decidable, some are undecidable. To prove in full range the consistency of mathematics is to prove the validity of all statements, including undecidable ones. Latter to do is impossible by definition. Thus, it is not possible to prove, that mathematics is consistent.

A set of axioms by itself doesn't produce statements (at least not in a way that is relevant to Gödel's theorems), you need a full formal system to do that, with axioms, an alphabet, a grammar, and rules of inference. What is decidable within such a system depends entirely on the system itself. A statement being undecidable is not a property of the statement, it depends entirely on the formal system in which it is expressed.

Hence you have gone no way at all towards proving Gödel's theorem. It was not known, before Gödel's proof that it was impossible to capture all of number theory within a formal system in which every statement was either true or false (completeness). The necessary of undecidable statements in a consistent, recursively axiomatizable formal system, that is complex enough to encompass number theory, was a consequence of his proof.

You also seem to have confused consistency with completeness.

By the way you can always construct a formal system in which any statement you want is true and if you have an inconsistent formal system, then every statement can be proved within it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Life "out there" might be so different from what human beings think of as life too, that when searching for life, they have been searching for the wrong answer?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Another way to prove the Gödel’s Second Theorem:

1. Axioms are defined as undecidable things.
  2. Such things are true.
  3. Thus, axioms are true, and, thus, the set of axioms are without self-contradiction, i.e. consistent.
Thus, a consistent set of axioms can not be proven.

This doesn't even make sense. Axioms aren't defined as "undecidable things" and undecidable things are not always true.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
The space observation due to light-speed limit v<c is looking into past history. Then even if now the aliens can hide from us, they were ordinary beings polluting the cosmos some billion years ago.

We cannot prove or disprove that the aliens invented a device that could manipulate our perception of "space observation due to light-speed limit v<c which allows us to looking into past history" so that we couldn't detect their pollution of the cosmos some billions of years ago.

questfortruth

Life "out there" might be so different from what human beings think of as life too, that when searching for life, they have been searching for the wrong answer?
In case of such doubt please use the Occam' razor: no evidence for aliens -- no aliens.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Exactly!!!! :D:D:D:D I am beginning to think that you can comprehend my line of reasoning more than most people these days!