• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age to buy tobacco products raised to 21

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member
I know, I saw that and was rather amazed.

And not to worry. We've got your daughter covered. We just need to find legal sources of nicotine for her. Tell me, is she a HUGE fan of eggplant parmesan?

Healthfully

Nope. I can't even get her to taste mine when we go to an Italian restaurant.

However, she does love my fried green tomatoes.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nope. I can't even get her to taste mine when we go to an Italian restaurant.

However, she does love my fried green tomatoes.
Okay, now we only need to calculate how many pounds a day it would take.

Hmm, there might be just a slight weight gain problem.

Okay, after a little browsing I can tell you that it would be easier if she ate eggplant. She would only need to eat about twenty pounds of them a day to get one cigarette worth of nicotine:

The Surprising Nicotine Content Of Everyday Vegetables

She would have to up her game a little bit for green tomatoes. About 45 pounds would do the trick. Per day.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This is nanny legislation. Something I didn't expect to see, but there it is.
You mean nanny regulation like restricting reproductive rights, gay marriage opposition, "sodomy" laws, dry counties, lotto bans, adult store/club bans, opposition to cannabis legalization, breast feeding bans, etc.?

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, now we only need to calculate how many pounds a day it would take.

Hmm, there might be just a slight weight gain problem.

Okay, after a little browsing I can tell you that it would be easier if she ate eggplant. She would only need to eat about twenty pounds of them a day to get one cigarette worth of nicotine:

The Surprising Nicotine Content Of Everyday Vegetables

She would have to up her game a little bit for green tomatoes. About 45 pounds would do the trick. Per day.

This article says 20 for each cigarette. If one smoked a half pack per day, they would only have to consume 200 eggplants per day.

Eggplants Contain Nicotine

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's still possible to get nicotine patches or nicotine gum if one is underage. They have to give some allowances for withdrawal for those who are smoking already. Maybe they can offer free smoking cessation programs.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think it's still possible to get nicotine patches or nicotine gum if one is underage. They have to give some allowances for withdrawal for those who are smoking already. Maybe they can offer free smoking cessation programs.
Seriously they should not just cut off people cold turkey. I used to smoke, though I was never a heavy smoker. A half a pack a day was my normal amount. For those on the equivalent of a pack a day or more this could be intolerable without some help.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You mean nanny regulation like restricting reproductive rights, gay marriage opposition, "sodomy" laws, dry counties, lotto bans, adult store/club bans, opposition to cannabis legalization, breast feeding bans, etc.?
Hey I'm against all nanny legislation. No matter what party backs it.

It's an issue of personal freedom as far as I'm concerned. It's dangerous imo to see it implemented.

People need to be let to decide their own fate using their own choices and terms regardless of the consequences.

Trump should have never signed it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think everything should be restricted until the age of 21, and the 18-21 year olds should go to 'citizenship school' where they learn how to vote, drive motor vehicles, drink responsibly, how to exercise, and eat right (and not smoke) and generally interact with their fellow citizens, responsibly and intelligently. THEN they can go to college or trade school, for free.
That's not a bad idea.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yup. The right wing is very big on passing nanny laws.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hey I'm against all nanny legislation. No matter what party backs it.

It's an issue of personal freedom as far as I'm concerned. It's dangerous imo to see it implemented.

People need to be let to decide their own fate using their own choices and terms regardless of the consequences.
óa
Trump should have never signed it.
What gave you the idea he had principles? He'll appease or throw under the bus anyone on a whim if he thinks it's to his personal advantage.
Also, anyone who cozies up to the evangelicals doesn't give a damn about freedom.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
That would be called civics class. I kind of wonder if schools even have that now?
It needs to be more than just civics. It needs to be a, "How To Be An Adult" curriculum, that you'd have to graduate from to gain adult privileges: driving, voting, drinking, marriage, soldiering, etc.,.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Age limit now 21 across US for cigarettes, tobacco products

In other news, 18-year-olds are still required to register for Selective Service.
You know funnily enough, the old argument (at least in Aus) was “well if you’re old enough to get shot at, you’re old enough to smoke/have a beer.”
If I’m not mistaken that’s how our legal age for drinking was lowered from 21 to 18 in the first place. Though based on old stories, I have my doubts such legal statutes were enforced back in the “olden days” anyway.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You know funnily enough, the old argument (at least in Aus) was “well if you’re old enough to get shot at, you’re old enough to smoke/have a beer.”
If I’m not mistaken that’s how our legal age for drinking was lowered from 21 to 18 in the first place.

I can still see benefits to raising the drinking age, though it was 18 when I first came of age. I did lose someone I knew to a drunk driving event, but he was probably of age by then. I do know that our dormitory liked us to have parties in the dorm. It was better than going out drinking and driving. Now college aged kids quite often will drink and drive since they cannot drink where they live.

Oh heck! Let's ban everything.