• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age to buy tobacco products raised to 21

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
does anyone have handy a link to the actual bill?
I have not been able to find it online.

I do know that it was attached to the spending bill, one of the reasons for the immediate enactment.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I can still see benefits to raising the drinking age, though it was 18 when I first came of age. I did lose someone I knew to a drunk driving event, but he was probably of age by then. I do know that our dormitory liked us to have parties in the dorm. It was better than going out drinking and driving. Now college aged kids quite often will drink and drive since they cannot drink where they live.

Oh heck! Let's ban everything.
Personally I think it’s more an issue with culture.
Not that drinking culture in and of itself isn’t replete with issues, mind you.

Now this is purely antidotal and just an odd observation on my part.
But I’ve been out to a party with my American cousins and I’ve been out to a party with my Brit cousins. Both involved heavy binge drinking, because we were dumb kids being dumb kids. But there was this kind of odd quirk I noticed. With my American cousins it was about rebellion and freedom. To the point where, in hindsight, I don’t know what would have happened if an emergency took place. Like even though we weren’t breaking the law, my Yank cousins seemed almost afraid to be “found out” by their parents. With my Brit counterparts, we were reckless and troublemaking. But there was this sense that there was still a safety net. Like even if something happened, the appropriate authorities would step in and help as a matter of course.

I don’t know if I can articulate it properly. But whilst both sets of cousins had an appalling relationship with alcohol (as did I) there was something a bit “off” with regards to my American counterparts. Like a sort of even unhealthier mindset around it. Does that make sense?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Personally I think it’s more an issue with culture.
Not that drinking culture in and of itself isn’t replete with issues, mind you.

Now this is purely antidotal and just an odd observation on my part.
But I’ve been out to a party with my American cousins and I’ve been out to a party with my Brit cousins. Both involved heavy binge drinking, because we were dumb kids being dumb kids. But there was this kind of odd quirk I noticed. With my American cousins it was about rebellion and freedom. To the point where, in hindsight, I don’t know what would have happened if an emergency took place. Like even though we weren’t breaking the law, my Yank cousins seemed almost afraid to be “found out” by their parents. With my Brit counterparts, we were reckless and troublemaking. But there was this sense that there was still a safety net. Like even if something happened, the appropriate authorities would step in and help as a matter of course.

I don’t know if I can articulate it properly. But whilst both sets of cousins had an appalling relationship with alcohol (as did I) there was something a bit “off” with regards to my American counterparts. Like a sort of even unhealthier mindset around it. Does that make sense?
Yes, I can see that. The indulging in the forbidden can make it even more enjoyable. Not that I ever engaged in under age drinking:rolleyes:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I can see that. The indulging in the forbidden can make it even more enjoyable. Not that I ever engaged in under age drinking:rolleyes:
Oh sure I believe you. Lol
Incidentally in my state there was an old loophole in the law (since closed) which allowed a person who was at least 15 to have a drink in a restaurant when eating with their parents. A sort of hangover from Europe, I guess.
So to me even at that age, yeah alcohol was kind of forbidden. But it was also contextualised as a relaxant. Something you enjoy in moderation with family. I indulged and went nuts when I hit 18. But I was able to have a quiet night with my family with only one or two drinks, without much thought. Although coming from a family of teachers we perhaps had more than one or two lol.