• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age to buy tobacco products raised to 21

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Age limit now 21 across US for cigarettes, tobacco products

Anyone under 21 can no longer legally buy cigarettes, cigars or any other tobacco products in the U.S.

The new law enacted last week by Congress also applies to electronic cigarettes and vaping products that heat a liquid containing nicotine.

The provision raising the legal limit from 18 to 21 nationwide was in a massive spending bill passed by Congress and signed by the president on Dec. 20. About one-third of states already had their own laws restricting tobacco sales to people 21 and older.

"This is a major step in protecting the next generation of children from becoming addicted to tobacco products," new FDA commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn tweeted last week.

In other news, 18-year-olds are still required to register for Selective Service.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
When I was about 12 or 13, in Germany, my fellow teenagers who smoked could get their cigarettes from vending machines without any problems. Since 2007, a cash card is required for age verification, but according to what I read, it is still possible to circumvent the system.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, but 18 is pretty much an adult for all intents and purposes.
It's the age of majority, sure. But we get to do some things before 18 and sone thinfs after.

To some extent, either 18 or 21 as the legal smoking age is arbitrary, but the older age will - hopefully - result in fewer people taking up the habit, so it seems like a good idea.

PureX

Veteran Member
Everything should be 18 across the board, including driving licences.
I think everything should be restricted until the age of 21, and the 18-21 year olds should go to 'citizenship school' where they learn how to vote, drive motor vehicles, drink responsibly, how to exercise, and eat right (and not smoke) and generally interact with their fellow citizens, responsibly and intelligently. THEN they can go to college or trade school, for free.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh good. Yet another unenforceable statute.

Who wants to place bets that the next time I see my 19-year-old daughter that she still has vaping supplies?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think everything should be restricted until the age of 21, and the 18-21 year olds should go to 'citizenship school' where they learn how to vote, drive motor vehicles, drink responsibly, how to exercise, and eat right (and not smoke) and generally interact with their fellow citizens, responsibly and intelligently. THEN they can go to college or trade school, for free.
That should be a regular part of high school curriculum. They should also cut the funding that's squandered on sports programs.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh good. Yet another unenforceable statute.

Who wants to place bets that the next time I see my 19-year-old daughter that she still has vaping supplies?

Yeah, I just broke the news to her. She had just gotten home from purchasing JUULpods at corner store. :rolleyes:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That would be called civics class. I kind of wonder if schools even have that now?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was a bit surprised. Usually when new legislation like this is passed people that already had that right are grandfathered into the system.

Me too, but the article expressly states that it's going into effect immediately and there's no such grandfather clause.