• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afterlife

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I have this idea on the afterlife, though it's more wishful thinking than an actual belief:

What if we all go to the same place, but how we treat others in this life is how we will be treated in the next life?

lunakilo

I have this idea on the afterlife, though it's more wishful thinking than an actual belief:

What if we all go to the same place, but how we treat others in this life is how we will be treated in the next life?
Who is going to do the treating?

Imagine a universe with 3 people in it.
person a is always nice an helpfull.
person b ignores everybody else.
persen c is a very nasty person who abuse others.

In the after life person a should be treated nice, but by whom? person a and b? Someone else who runs the after life?
Person b should be ingored by everybody, but even if person c and the ones running the place could do that would person a be able to?
And can person a and b really abuse person c? Can person a really let the ones running the place abuse person c without doing anything. Would person a like this place?

No, I don't buy your idea either.

thebigpicture

That wouldn't make any sense because there are cruel people in the world. Cruelty existing in the afterlife (or what is often referred to as Heaven) would not be peaceful to anybody and would thereby conflict with the whole notion of people living in complete paradise.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Therefore...do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

And we go to those who think and feel as we do.....
not wishful thinking...really.

How else to be happy?
How else is justice served?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sounds fair to me.
People may quibble about it's practicality, but a supreme being would have the power to make it so.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

In a way it is true, to the extent that it really matters IMO.

We all die, and death is final for us as individuals. Yet life does go on, and its quality is entirely dependent on how we treat others.

No belief in a so-called afterlife needed. Sometimes I wonder if that is not the true origin of afterlife doctrines. The desire to transcend death is not altogether healthy, and I must assume most true religious sages realized that through the millenia.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

I don't think I can see that; apart from anything, who will be doing the "treating you"? other souls, or God ? - because I can't see God treating anyone badly - neither can I see a good person (in this life) treating someone badly in "the afterlife". The way I see it, the picture you draw is that there would be two separate camps of people who would never interact - one for the people who treat others decently, and omne for the others..........

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
That is somewhat true but the afterlife in my belief is so much more vast and spiritual that evil people are not allowed to venture in higher planes of higher astral realms. In other words if you were a good person in this life it will decide where you go in the afterlife. This also decides where you go in the next life as well. However there is karma both in the astral realms as there is here. Every thought, action or desire you create forms your next life and your astral life.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't think I can see that; apart from anything, who will be doing the "treating you"? other souls, or God ? - because I can't see God treating anyone badly - neither can I see a good person (in this life) treating someone badly in "the afterlife". The way I see it, the picture you draw is that there would be two separate camps of people who would never interact - one for the people who treat others decently, and omne for the others..........

True, maybe just the feeling that others are treating you that way.

nightwolf

I don't think this is possible.

I do believe we all go to the same place and I also believe there are going to be a lot of disappointed people there, we also must choose our path in order to progress and this leads us to different places.

I am also a firm believer in Karma. This means that any bad I may do on earth should be taken care of here on earth (i.e kill I lose my freedom for the remainder of this life etc....).

Cordoba

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Have mercy on those who are on the planet earth and you shall have the mercy of He who is in heaven."
[/FONT]
(Hadith in At-Tirmidhi)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Have mercy on those who are on the planet earth and you shall have the mercy of He who is in heaven."
[/FONT]
(Hadith in At-Tirmidhi)

Is this an accurate quote?
Did Muhammad know we are living on a 'planet'?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

I like to think that, in the afterlife, our place will be between the person we most hurt and the person who hurt us most.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

This is a pretty similar to one of my favorite speculations on the here-after. :D

In my scenario, there are an infinite number of worlds/realities exactly like this one, except: each of these realities is populated exclusively by people of exactly the same temperment, as determined by the way they conducted themselves in their previous existence.

In other words, when you die, you're reborn into the world/reality that's inhabited by people who were exactly as considerate/inconsiderate as you were in this life.

I see a lot of justice in this. I figure we all treat people basically the way we perceive that they deserve to be treated, and most of us go through life thinking "If only people were more like me". Of course, we have to go through all kinds of mental and moral gymnastics in order to make any of this make sense, but most of us are experts at rationalizing our beliefs, perceptions, and behaviors so we manage to pull it off at least to our own satisfaction, which is good enough for most of us.

What we don't know (according to this scenario) is that while we're doing all this; judging other people; finding excuses for our own behaviors; basically rationalizing our inner reality, we're also putting in an order for the next reality.

So basically, when we say "Why can't everyone be like me" we're also unwittingly saying "Next time, I would like to live in a world where everyone is just as rude, inconsiderate, and self-deluded as I am", or conversely (and almost certainly much more rarely) "Next time, I would like to live in a world where everybody takes a moment to put themselves in the other persons shoes and acts accordingly".

Matt.7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

Like I said, I see a lot of justice in this.

I think it would be business as usual although this is assuming that material wealth would mean anything in the afterlife. Without material wealth, or more accurately the ability to control it, it makes it more difficult for some people to control others.

For example those in charge can't make me work 37 hours a week in order for me to be able to pay the bills those in charge set and the food they sell if they aren't able to control the supply of food and suchlike.

Vichar

Actually, I don't believe we all go the same place, or at least, not the same part of the same place. There would be very little point in forcing us to live life after life if there was no educational purpose to it.

Your second statement about how we are treated sounds a bit like karma. I do believe that our actions and thoughts are carefully recorded so that our future experiences can be plotted out for us, and this includes stints in the afterlife. Not for punishment, but so that we can learn about cause and effect. If you push a book off a table, don't be surprised that it is on the floor.