• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abstinence-only Sex Education

Watchmen

Premium Member
Its lying, saying something you don't actually think didn't you read my post. Perhapos you should read it again so you understand.
What makes it so inappropriate anyway, are you afraid of crushing your children's spirits so instead you feed them lies to make them feel better?

Maybe you need to reread my posts - I never said anything about lying.

And, do I need to tell you again, I don't support abstinence only education.

Try this on for size: What if a teacher actually let people be confident in their choices. If a person chooses to wait until marriage why not criticize those who would berate such a person? Acknowledging that berating behavior occurs validates when coming from a teacher.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't believe the question was ever answered: for those who support teaching abstinance, do you support it in conjunction with comprehensive sex ed?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, I don't believe anyone objects to that. It's abstinance-only that's the abysmal failure.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I don't believe the question was ever answered: for those who support teaching abstinance, do you support it in conjunction with comprehensive sex ed?

The only sex that should be taught in school is the science of reproduction. How to have sex (other than a quite scientific explanation), when to have sex, and with whom to have sex are not appropriate subjects for a classroom. The emotional, spiritual, and moral side of sex should be taught by parents.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Would the "science of reproduction" include information on birth control and STDs?

UnTheist

Hopefully. If teens are going to have sex, why not teach them how to be safe with it?

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The only sex that should be taught in school is the science of reproduction. How to have sex (other than a quite scientific explanation), when to have sex, and with whom to have sex are not appropriate subjects for a classroom. The emotional, spiritual, and moral side of sex should be taught by parents.

Interesting. I kind of like this approach. This would sink abstinence-only programs.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Would the "science of reproduction" include information on birth control and STDs?

I suppose. What I don't want is teachers undermining the values I teach at home. If they teach that sex out of wedlock is morally ok, that undermines what I teach. If they say anything to imply that abstinence is unnecessary or weird, that undermines what I teach at home.

I'm ok if a sex ed teacher says something like this:

"Human sexuality has deep emotional and physical ramifications. Many feel that sexuality has strong moral and spiritual implications. I'm not here to support or detract from the moral or spiritual aspects of sexuality. I suggest you examine your conscience and speak to your parents or other moral leaders for guidance in this area. I'm here to teach you the wonder of the human body, as it relates to reproduction. I'm here to teach you science. We'll also discuss STDs, what they are, how they're transmitted, and their impact on the human body. We'll discuss the science behind devices designed to prevent pregnancy and the spread of STDs. We'll also discuss natural methods, such as "determing fertility periods" and abstinence to avoid pregnacy and disease. Finally, we will also review the laws of our state that govern the sexual activity of minors or of adults with minors."

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, I certainly don't support that. What I support is giving them information, not moralizing.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I dont think teachers are running around saying "have sex whenever you want with whoever you want any time of the day"!

I dont think teachers say "its MORALLY O.K to have sex with anyone whenever you want"...

I dont think teachers say "its weird if you abstain from sex"...

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
To be real honest...

Im more worried about parents that are PROUD of their daughters who think a boy is "disgusting and repulsive" because he wants oral sex...Than I am about any teacher out their trying to give facts...

Love

Dallas

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't know about anyone else, but I had abstinance-only sex ed in high school. It consisted of the bare minimum biological facts (ova and sperm without even the mechanics of sex) and a great deal of propaganda that condoms don't work. That was it. No information about birth control, or STDs (beyond "the AIDS virus is 1000 times smaller than sperm, and therefore more likely to penetrate a condom"), and certainly no discussion about the emotional aspect of sexual relations. They didn't even really discuss abstinance, it was only implied.

This is what people like myself are opposed to. Blatant misinformation and fearmongering.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I don't know about anyone else, but I had abstinance-only sex ed in high school. It consisted of the bare minimum biological facts (ova and sperm without even the mechanics of sex) and a great deal of propaganda that condoms don't work. That was it. No information about birth control, or STDs (beyond "the AIDS virus is 1000 times smaller than sperm, and therefore more likely to penetrate a condom"), and certainly no discussion about the emotional aspect of sexual relations. They didn't even really discuss abstinance, it was only implied.

This is what people like myself are opposed to. Blatant misinformation.

When I got "sex ed"...AIDs didnt exist...and when it did ...all over the news it was the "gay mans disease"...

I think it was termed that for a while ...untill propper married women ended up with it...and infants...

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
That's ridiculous. My daughter is quite emotionally healthy and will do fine in marriage, I'm certain. I'm very glad that she finds boys who are looking for free sex to be disgusting.

NO not if the terms "disgusting" and "repulsed" are attatched ...

There is NOTHING disgusting about a boy wanting oral sex from a girl..NOTHING..There is nothing REPULSIVE about it either..

Innapropriate to ask or "expect" ...Yes...But not disgusting and repulsive..

Also the "every boy" term is alarming...

I can NOT believe "every boy" "expects " your daughter to give him oral sex...

If so ...you need to move to a different town...

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
[QUOTEYep. And have you ever noticed that the boys are all expected to be sluts and even looked down on when they don't live up to that expectation. I noticed when I was in school that most of the time a girl called a **** by a guy tended to the the one who told him no. If she had said yes then she would not have been a ****. The word is a weapon used to hurt.
]

This is true ..very true...Boys need not be taught even indirectly that thier "manhood" is dependent of their sexual prowess and ability to conquer a girl and "score" ...

The "what a stud" hes a hero needs to be dropped..

At the same time they need to not be made out to be the "predators" the danger to women..the "rapist"...

They are getting BOTH messages at the same time....

Same with girls ..and women..We are to keep our legs shut..hide our sexual desires..wait for the man to initiate ...be "hard to get"...or we are "loose"

At the same time we are "frigid" ...we are "cold as ice"...we are "prude" we are "stuck up"..

A bunch of mixed up crazy messages that complicate something that is so natural and basic to all humans..

Sex ed goes WAY beyond penis and vagina..and dont do it till you are married because I said so.

Love

Dallas[/quote]