• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Abrahamic] So why do some Christians show favoritism of the Jews if the Bible says this?

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Acts 10:34-35
New International Version (NIV)
(34)Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

PS - This thread is not meant for trolling. I am not trying to troll but trying to have an intelligent conversation about this Scripture. Please, no trolling on this thread.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.
Paul said, 'first Jew, and then Gentile'; and says about 'Christians being grafted on to the house of Israel'.

The verse you're referring to is about God not showing favoritism, not us....

You could ask why Christians are in a relationship with the Jews, if they understood Yeshua's statements about marrying an adulterous wife.

Yet Christianity is built more on Paul's epistles, then on the teachings of Yeshua.... So thus a Christian would be expected to accept the Jews as a holy people still. :innocent:

rusra02

Premium Member
(34)Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

PS - This thread is not meant for trolling. I am not trying to troll but trying to have an intelligent conversation about this Scripture. Please, no trolling on this thread.
I guess because God dealt exclusively with the Jews (and non-Jewish proselytes) until Christ inaugurated the new covenant with the Christian congregation. The notion that natural Jews or the nation of Israel have special standing with God is not supported in Scripture, IMO, but some believe they do.

Corthos

Great Old One
Well we sure didn't feel a lot of favouritism for the last 1900 years.

Aye... This "favoritism" in the Christian (western) world truly is more of a recent thing. Jews were burned at the stake because they were believed to have created the black plague in medieval Europe, and Jews were killed all throughout the crusades by crusaders, just as a couple examples. The Holocaust is by no means some random, isolated incident, but is instead just one of many events in a long tradition of antisemitism. =/

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I guess because God dealt exclusively with the Jews (and non-Jewish proselytes) until Christ inaugurated the new covenant with the Christian congregation. The notion that natural Jews or the nation of Israel have special standing with God is not supported in Scripture, IMO, but some believe they do.
Well:
Deut.7[6] "For you are a people holy to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his own possession, out of all the peoples that are on the face of the earth.

Deut.14[2] For you are a people holy to the LORD your God, and the LORD has chosen you to be a people for his own possession, out of all the peoples that are on the face of the earth.

Deut.18[5] For the LORD your God has chosen him out of all your tribes, to stand and minister in the name of the LORD, him and his sons for ever.

2Sam.16[18] And Hushai said to Ab'salom, "No; for whom the LORD and this people and all the men of Israel have chosen, his I will be, and with him I will remain.

1Kgs.3[8] And thy servant is in the midst of thy people whom thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered or counted for multitude.

2Kgs.21[7] And the graven image of Ashe'rah that he had made he set in the house of which the LORD said to David and to Solomon his son, "In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, I will put my name for ever...

1Chr.16[13] O offspring of Abraham his servant,sons of Jacob, his chosen ones!

There's more, but I think the point is made.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often

Do you still have me blocked?

InChrist

Free4ever

What do you mean by favoritism? If you read this scripture in context you will see it is referring to salvation. In the account Peter realized that the gospel was not only for the Jews, but all people and nations and in this particular case as Gentile, Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian Regiment and his household.
...And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead. To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins. Acts 10:42-43

rusra02

Premium Member
Well:
Deut.7[6] "For you are a people holy to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his own possession, out of all the peoples that are on the face of the earth.

Deut.14[2] For you are a people holy to the LORD your God, and the LORD has chosen you to be a people for his own possession, out of all the peoples that are on the face of the earth.

Deut.18[5] For the LORD your God has chosen him out of all your tribes, to stand and minister in the name of the LORD, him and his sons for ever.

2Sam.16[18] And Hushai said to Ab'salom, "No; for whom the LORD and this people and all the men of Israel have chosen, his I will be, and with him I will remain.

1Kgs.3[8] And thy servant is in the midst of thy people whom thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered or counted for multitude.

2Kgs.21[7] And the graven image of Ashe'rah that he had made he set in the house of which the LORD said to David and to Solomon his son, "In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, I will put my name for ever...

1Chr.16[13] O offspring of Abraham his servant,sons of Jacob, his chosen ones!

There's more, but I think the point is made.
I worded my response poorly. I agree the Jews were a special people to Jehovah when he made a covenant with them through Moses. Because of repeatedly violating that covenant and finally rejecting the Messiah, they lost that special standing as a nation. As Jesus said; "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent to her—how often I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings! But you did not want it. Look! Your house is abandoned to you." (Matthew 23:37,38) I believe God transferred his favor to the Christian congregation. At first, only natural Jews and proselytes were Christians, but within a few years non-Jews were welcomed as Christians. Thus, the words at Acts 10:34,35.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I recommend that this be moved to the Christianity DIR since that is the only place where Acts might be considered at all authoritative.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Paul said, 'first Jew, and then Gentile'; and says about 'Christians being grafted on to the house of Israel'.

The verse you're referring to is about God not showing favoritism, not us....

You could ask why Christians are in a relationship with the Jews, if they understood Yeshua's statements about marrying an adulterous wife.

Yet Christianity is built more on Paul's epistles, then on the teachings of Yeshua.... So thus a Christian would be expected to accept the Jews as a holy people still. :innocent:

Lol so you actually say that Christians should see things the opposite way than God sees them???

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
What do you mean by favoritism? If you read this scripture in context you will see it is referring to salvation. In the account Peter realized that the gospel was not only for the Jews, but all people and nations and in this particular case as Gentile, Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian Regiment and his household.
...And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead. To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins. Acts 10:42-43

The Scripture doesn't say "no favoritism when it comes to salvation." It plainly says: NO FAVORITISM!

InChrist

Free4ever
The Scripture doesn't say "no favoritism when it comes to salvation." It plainly says: NO FAVORITISM!
I see, you must be one of those who pull a verse or even a few words out of the context of the entire passage in an attempt to interpret it the way you like to fit your agenda.

InChrist

Free4ever
Whether it is a verse in Zechariah, a few in Jeremiah, or some verses picked from elsewhere out of the context from the whole of scripture the result is the same: a false teaching and wrong view. In this case the wrong view concerning Israel and denying God's eternal relationship and purpose for His chosen nation....

"Reading What We Want to Read, and Forgetting the Rest

A cornerstone of Supersessionist [Replacement Theology] doctrine is their assertion stating "the Old Testament nation [Israel] was divorced by God.", referring to the following passage found in the book of Jeremiah:

"Then I saw that for all the causes for which backsliding Israel had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce..." (Jer:3:8)

Their assertion would have merit, if there were only eight verses in the third chapter of Jeremiah. Here we see yet another manifestation of biblical ignorance--the "picking and choosing" of Scriptural text so that its meaning conforms to an "agenda". Most unfortunately, false doctrines such as Supersessionism have been forged by this erroneous practice

Actually, it could be considered somewhat "reassuring" to find the proponents of Replacement Theology delving into the third chapter of Jeremiah. Most disheartening is their insistence in stopping at verse 8. For it is in the third chapter of Jeremiah that we find yet another piece of biblical evidence showing God's faithfulness to the Jewish people--the people whom He foreknew. Moreover, this particular book is an example--one of many found in Scripture--of not only God's unconditional faithfulness and divine mercy toward the Jewish people, but of His command--His Biblical Mandate--for Gentiles to support and minister to them. As we see in Jeremiah:3:15, this was a truth foretold.

Even so, let us continue in Jeremiah 3, past verse 8, where we find that God has not "divorced" His people. In fact, we will soon find that the "marriage" remains very much alive."

https://www.thebereancall.org/content/divorce-or-not-divorce

Last edited:

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
I see, you must be one of those who pull a verse or even a few words out of the context of the entire passage in an attempt to interpret it the way you like to fit your agenda.

No, God is not a God of confusion.

Therefore if He had meant, "no favoritism when it comes to salvation" He would have said, "no favoritism when it comes to salvation."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I worded my response poorly. I agree the Jews were a special people to Jehovah when he made a covenant with them through Moses. Because of repeatedly violating that covenant and finally rejecting the Messiah, they lost that special standing as a nation. As Jesus said; "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent to her—how often I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings! But you did not want it. Look! Your house is abandoned to you." (Matthew 23:37,38) I believe God transferred his favor to the Christian congregation. At first, only natural Jews and proselytes were Christians, but within a few years non-Jews were welcomed as Christians. Thus, the words at Acts 10:34,35.

But:

Genesis 17:[7] And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you.

Genesis 17:[13] both he that is born in your house and he that is bought with your money, shall be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant.

Deuteronomy 7:[9] Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations,

Deuteronomy 29:[12] that you may enter into the sworn covenant of the LORD your God, which the LORD your God makes with you this day;
[13] that he may establish you this day as his people, and that he may be your God, as he promised you, and as he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.

Psalms 89:[34] I will not violate my covenant,
or alter the word that went forth from my lips.

Psalms 105:[8] He is mindful of his covenant for ever,
of the word that he commanded, for a thousand generations,

Isaiah 44:[21] Remember these things, O Jacob,
and Israel, for you are my servant;
I formed you, you are my servant;
O Israel, you will not be forgotten by me.

Isaiah 45:[17] But Israel is saved by the LORD
with everlasting salvation;
you shall not be put to shame or confounded
to all eternity.

Isaiah 52:[1] Awake, awake,
put on your strength, O Zion;
put on your beautiful garments,
O Jerusalem, the holy city;
for there shall no more come into you
the uncircumcised and the unclean.

Isaiah 59:[20] "And he will come to Zion as Redeemer,
to those in Jacob who turn from transgression, says the LORD.
[21] "And as for me, this is my covenant with them, says the LORD: my spirit which is upon you, and my words which I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouth of your children, or out of the mouth of your children's children, says the LORD, from this time forth and for evermore."

Isaiah 66:[22] "For as the new heavens and the new earth
which I will make
shall remain before me, says the LORD;
so shall your descendants and your name remain.

And there's a lot more where that came from.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
First off i guess this was a reply to me, if so, please could you use the quote function or @InChrist, so we get notifications you're replying to us.
Whether it is a verse in Zechariah, a few in Jeremiah, or some verses picked from elsewhere out of the context from the whole of scripture
Second, this isn't taking an odd verse out of context; Yeshua declared Zechariah 11, the divorce decree given to Israel...

The proof of this is the 2nd temple was destroyed, the people were cast out of the nation, the 30 pieces of silver were paid, and put into the Potters-Field in the house of Israel, etc, thus it happened as prophesied.

Considering you've jumped to Jeremiah, where it is talking about the north and south country, means that is talking around the time of the Babylonian exile.

Now I've not said God has finished with anyone, as within Revelations, it tells us out of the tribes of Israel they've been chosen....

Yet there will no longer be a nation or tribe of Israel within the Messianic age, those who have the law of God written on their hearts, are the children 'to reign with God' (Israel).

As for replacement theology, i don't believe Christians are the ones appointed to minster to Jews, are the new chosen people, and most are just workers of iniquity.

The replacement happens based on the Lambs Book of Life, Yeshua is selecting who is worthy based on those who keep his teachings.

Also it was Yeshua who stated the replacement theology; yet if you would rather follow a self proclaimed chosen people, that is your choice.
Statements by Yeshua to substantiate Replacement Theology said:
Mat 21:40-41 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? (41) They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.

Parable of the Great Banquet - Mathew 22:1-14

Etc....

Basically Yeshua came to invite the Jews to the Messianic age, they denied him, and said they didn't want to attend; so God didn't choose it, they did. :(

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Why favoritism ? because Christendom's churches teach that fleshly Israel today is the Israel of God of Galatians 6:16
The churches overlook or ignore that since Pentecost the Israel of God is now ' Spiritual Israel '- 1 Peter 2:9; 1 Peter 2:5 - a spiritual nation.
Spiritual Israel can't be found located on any map and it has No boundaries or No borders. All ( both Jew or non-Jew ) can be part of the Christian congregation ( aka Spiritual Israel )
Jerusalem above is now mother - Galatians 4:26
No longer Jew by flesh but now by spirit - Romans 2:28-29

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member

Then it should have been put in the Same-Faith Debate forum, it's far too controversial for a DIR. Move?