• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Abrahamic] So why do some Christians show favoritism of the Jews if the Bible says this?

rusra02

Premium Member
But:

Genesis 17:[7] And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you.

Genesis 17:[13] both he that is born in your house and he that is bought with your money, shall be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant.

Deuteronomy 7:[9] Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations,

Deuteronomy 29:[12] that you may enter into the sworn covenant of the LORD your God, which the LORD your God makes with you this day;
[13] that he may establish you this day as his people, and that he may be your God, as he promised you, and as he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.

Psalms 89:[34] I will not violate my covenant,
or alter the word that went forth from my lips.

Psalms 105:[8] He is mindful of his covenant for ever,
of the word that he commanded, for a thousand generations,

Isaiah 44:[21] Remember these things, O Jacob,
and Israel, for you are my servant;
I formed you, you are my servant;
O Israel, you will not be forgotten by me.

Isaiah 45:[17] But Israel is saved by the LORD
with everlasting salvation;
you shall not be put to shame or confounded
to all eternity.

Isaiah 52:[1] Awake, awake,
put on your strength, O Zion;
put on your beautiful garments,
O Jerusalem, the holy city;
for there shall no more come into you
the uncircumcised and the unclean.

Isaiah 59:[20] "And he will come to Zion as Redeemer,
to those in Jacob who turn from transgression, says the LORD.
[21] "And as for me, this is my covenant with them, says the LORD: my spirit which is upon you, and my words which I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouth of your children, or out of the mouth of your children's children, says the LORD, from this time forth and for evermore."

Isaiah 66:[22] "For as the new heavens and the new earth
which I will make
shall remain before me, says the LORD;
so shall your descendants and your name remain.

And there's a lot more where that came from.
Genesis 17 describes the covenant God made with Abraham that through his offspring all families of the earth could receive blessing. This covenant is not the same as the Law covenant. Concerning the Law covenant, Exodus 19:5,6 quotes Jehovah; "Now if you will strictly obey my voice and keep my covenant, you will certainly become my special property out of all peoples, for the whole earth belongs to me. You will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you are to say to the Israelites.” Israel failed to obey God and finally were rejected as his favored people. Jehovah did not break his covenant, the Jews did. I believe it is as Romans 2:28,29 explains; "For he is not a Jew who is one on the outside, nor is circumcision something on the outside, on the flesh. But he is a Jew who is one on the inside, and his circumcision is that of the heart by spirit and not by a written code." Thus, God transferred his favor to the Christian congregation, spiritual Israel with whom he made his new covenant. (Jeremiah 31:31-34)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Genesis 17 describes the covenant God made with Abraham that through his offspring all families of the earth could receive blessing. This covenant is not the same as the Law covenant. Concerning the Law covenant, Exodus 19:5,6 quotes Jehovah; "Now if you will strictly obey my voice and keep my covenant, you will certainly become my special property out of all peoples, for the whole earth belongs to me. You will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you are to say to the Israelites.” Israel failed to obey God and finally were rejected as his favored people. Jehovah did not break his covenant, the Jews did. I believe it is as Romans 2:28,29 explains; "For he is not a Jew who is one on the outside, nor is circumcision something on the outside, on the flesh. But he is a Jew who is one on the inside, and his circumcision is that of the heart by spirit and not by a written code." Thus, God transferred his favor to the Christian congregation, spiritual Israel with whom he made his new covenant. (Jeremiah 31:31-34)
Therefore, you must believe that God is a liar who says the Covenant and Law are "forever" and "perpetual" but then says "Nah!".

Also, the Abrahamic Covenant, as part of its obligation, has male circumcision being done on the 8th day after birth as mandated in Torah, but no Christian denomination follows that mandate.

Finally, what you also believe in is a stereotype of "Israel", which doesn't even make any sense at the outset. We are and always have been a diverse lot, and Torah clearly states that we will be punished but not abandoned by God, and that His judgement would become one of judging individuals.