• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About fossils -- would you say this is true?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Always glad to oblige.

Probably because its gravity is too weak and because it is in the stronger gravitational field of the Earth.

The Earth is not bilobar because its gravitational field is strong enough to force it into a spherical shape. The Moon was probably ejected from the proto-Earth by a collision with a Mars-sized planet about 4.5 billion years ago; since then tidal interactions between the Earth and the Moon have slowed the Earth's rotation and driven the Moon outwards to its present distance. The Earth is ellipsoidal because of its rapid rotation. I doubt whether the Moon is ellipsoidal; its departures from sphericity may be due to impact excavation of the mare basins and deposition of ejecta from these basins to form the highlands.
I had to Google it since it is a fact that I cannot remember, but this raised the question of how large an object has to be to become spherical. In other words, how large does an object need to be so that its own gravity is strong enough to force it to be a sphere. And it is a bit large than asteroids. For a rocky object it needs to be at least 600 km in diameter and for an icy object only 400 km (ice is not as strong as rock):

EDIT: But what about Ceres? Ceres is no longer an asteroid. It is a dwarf planet. When Pluto was "demoted" the change in classification changed Ceres from an asteroid to a dwarf planet. If an object is large enough to have to be spherical it is by definition no longer an asteroid. And for comparison the top four "asteroids":

1679007053842.png

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
You deny stating that you are a scientist?
Audie, I think he was once a synthetic chemist. He and I spoke about it and he seemed knowledgeable. Then, so he says, something happened, he started hearing voices, and later seems to have gone in for some kind of fundamentalist Christianity, which he thinks helped with the voices, at least.

At any rate, that's what I have gleaned so far.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Audie, I think he was once a synthetic chemist. He and I spoke about it and he seemed knowledgeable. Then, so he says, something happened, he started hearing voices, and later seems to have gone in for some kind of fundamentalist Christianity, which he thinks helped with the voices, at least.

Sounds a lot like James Tour.

Apostle John

“Go ahead, look up Revelation 6”
Always glad to oblige.

Probably because its gravity is too weak and because it is in the stronger gravitational field of the Earth.

The Earth is not bilobar because its gravitational field is strong enough to force it into a spherical shape. The Moon was probably ejected from the proto-Earth by a collision with a Mars-sized planet about 4.5 billion years ago; since then tidal interactions between the Earth and the Moon have slowed the Earth's rotation and driven the Moon outwards to its present distance. The Earth is ellipsoidal because of its rapid rotation. I doubt whether the Moon is ellipsoidal; its departures from sphericity may be due to impact excavation of the mare basins and deposition of ejecta from these basins to form the highlands.
You’re so this world.

Audie

Veteran Member

I see. I believe I will " steer clear".

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sounds a lot like James Tour.
Not quite. I think our friend has undergone some kind of mental or psychological upset.

James Tour hasn't. He has just adopted creationism as a result of becoming a Messianic Jew. By the way, I see his Wiki page now makes zero mention of his extensive proselytising on behalf of creationism and his ill-informed - and, on occasion, dishonest - attacks on evolution. It looks to me as if it has been censored, probably by him.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not quite. I think our friend has undergone some kind of mental or psychological upset.

James Tour hasn't. He has just adopted creationism as a result of becoming a Messianic Jew. By the way, I see his Wiki page now makes zero mention of his extensive proselytising on behalf of creationism and his ill-informed - and, on occasion, dishonest - attacks on evolution. It looks to me as if it has been censored, probably by him.
Can one do that? The old pages are still there, if you know how to look for them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Your post made me a bit curious. So I went to James Tour's Wiki page and checked out some of the older versions. Here is one that notes that he is into pseudoscience:

There are quite a few edits of his site. For a while people were regularly putting back in his support for creationism.

Apostle John

Hmm, so I guess all the Christians who agree on stuff are all just one poster too.
As if the highly religious are somewhere else.
Either that or there is a significant body of opinion that disagrees with you. Have you not considered that possibility?
Oh there’s another flurry from the same person. I gave up on this thread ages ago. Do you think the Antichrist will headhunt you for this ‘work’. I don’t.

Apostle John

Ah yes, the Antichrist. You know, the only people that go on about the Antichrist are extreme Protestants.
I would think any Christian knowledgeable of the Bible would know about the Antichrist and be able to forewarn others about him.

Obversely and perversely there will be the demonic that will welcome the appearance of the Antichrist when he turns up on the world stage. I will refrain from saying what will happen to them.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I would think any Christian knowledgeable of the Bible would know about the Antichrist and be able to forewarn others about him.

Obversely and perversely there will be the demonic that will welcome the appearance of the Antichrist when he turns up on the world stage. I will refrain from saying what will happen to them.
Jolly good.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

As a literalist you should be the last person to accuse others of a lack of knowledge about the Bible.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
But you will believe in the evolution theory and other countless theories regarding creation and how we have come to exist to today, even though these theories have never been proven or demonstrated beyond doubt.

You wouldn't be able to post messages on this board if it wasn't for a whole bunch of such theories, explaining how currents and atoms and quantum particles work, all of which underpins the very workings, the tech, of your internet capable device.

God could have made the unusual shape of Arrokoth to make atheists think it‘s possible for rocks to collide and stick together in space.

Yeah that's where people like you always necessarily end up.
"god made it so just to trick you".

Your god is thus a deceiver, which means he is a liar.

Also, this is the juvenile equivalent of "god created everything Last Thursday".