• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About finding money.

Would you take the money? or would you deliver it in the nearest shop in case the owner come back?

• Take the money and leave

• Give it to a shop in case owner comes back to look for the money.

• Leave it on the ground and walk away.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on if I knew who it belonged to.

If I did, I hold onto it and return it. If not, I’d keep it and donate it to a charity, probably the ASPCA.

HonestJoe

What would you do if you was out example in the city and you see a 100 Dollar laying on the ground?
If it’s just a loose note on its own, there’s not really any way to determine whose it was. I’d look around for anyone who might have dropped it but failing that I’d probably pocket it (though I like the charity idea someone else mentioned). If it was in a wallet or purse, even without any identifying cards with it, I’d probably hand it in to somewhere suitable.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This, or something similar, has happened to many of us. I mailed one wallet to its owner and took another wallet to the owner's door. I've also pocketed small bits of money found loose in parks, or on the street. In a mall one day, money dropped from a man's pocket. I was walking a few metres behind him, so I grabbed it and caught him and returned it.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When my son was a toddler, he found a $100 bill in a parking lot at a mall.
We let him keep it.
Although I'm sure we took some precautions against its getting lost again.
(It wouldn't have been practical to find its former owner.
Otherwise we'd have done that.)

Daemon Sophic

This actually happened to me. As a child back in the early 1970’s I found a $100 bill in the neighborhood playground.
I brought it home to my parents.
They posted a local ad in the paper asking if anyone had recently lost “something valuable”.
A week later, after nobody had called for a $100 bill. We kept it. :)

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Finders keepers. It is the only practical thing to do because how do you know if the owner of the shop isn't just going to keep it for themselves? And why walk away from free money? If the universe meant for me to have some free money then by golly I am going to listen to the universe.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If they disagree that for me money does not mean anything, what would that change the way i live?
It means i do not have any attachments to money. if i have 5 dollar or a million does not change who i am
I made an inside joke....
Some of us in business have discovered that people who
say "Money isn't everything" typically don't pay their bills.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes ofcourse you may :)

And the answer is, first of all it is not my money so not allowed to take them. and second of all money does not mean anything to me.

Where does your food, shelter, and clothing come from?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This actually happened to me. As a child back in the early 1970’s I found a $100 bill in the neighborhood playground.
I brought it home to my parents.
They posted a local ad in the paper asking if anyone had recently lost “something valuable”.
A week later, after nobody had called for a $100 bill. We kept it. :)

At school where I worked, when money was turned in, we'd announce it, but not give specifics. "Some money has been turned in, if you've lost some, please come to the office, and inform us of the amount and whereabouts you think you may have lost it."
After a week we gave it to the finder as a reward for honesty.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have a policy of putting any found money into a charity box.
Today, I found a pound coin in the coin return of a Trolley lock up at a supermarket.
On my way out it put it in the cancer collection box at the exit.

Were it a £50 note in the street I would pick it up and put it in the save the children fund box at home.
In days gone by I would have taken it to the police station, but they no longer take in lost and found items, though they used to keep them for three months and if no one claimed them they were Yours. However there is still a law about stealing by finding.
So putting money in a charity box seems the best thing to do.

A Vestigial Mote

My son and I were walking one morning, and saw a $20 bill lying wet on the ground. We were the only people on the street - no one else in view anywhere as it was early morning. I pointed it out, was purposefully slow to react, and let him pick it up. That $20 was going to be someone's - and the probability that it would make it back into the actual "owner's" hands is so low that it makes no sense to just leave it for the next person to pick it up. It all depends on the circumstances - but from my point of view, if reliably detecting the owner isn't on the table (for example, it's a wallet instead, with the owner's ID in it), then the bill/money/resource is fair game.

I've found my share of wallets, credit cards, etc. and I always, ALWAYS turn those in, or shred them in the case of credit cards. Cash is another matter entirely.