• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About Angellous

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

I was raised and educated Southern Baptist in West Texas.

I graduated from Wayland Baptist University in 2001 with a BA in Religion and 2003 with an MA in Biblical Studies, New Testament. Then I went to Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, TX for two years to learn Hebrew, French, and German to prepare for Ph.D. studies. Now I attend Brite Divinity School, where I am finishing up a Ph.D. in Biblical Studies, New Testament.

I was ordained in 2003 by a Baptist Church in Lubbock, TX, and I have been serving Baptist churches (and churches of other denomenations) in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico for the past 10 years. I'm not a pastor, I am a scholar, but my tradition affirms scholarship as a ministry. Due to the highly volatile nature of Baptist ministry these days, with Baptist ministers being trained to destroy eachother's careers and other people's lives rather than feed God's flock, I may not remain Baptist very long. I have been attending a Presbyterian church when I am not serving, looking for a denomenation that will recognize my creditials.

I preach regularly and offer countless other services to churches as requested in a wide area, but most of my time is devoted to the study of our sacred Scriptures and producing scholarly work for the academy and the church. I have not published my work yet, but am set to publish a wide variety of studies in preparation for the beginning of my professional and academic career. I am a member of several scholarly guilds and ministerial/ecumenical alliances.

Update 9/14/9 - Yesterday my wife and I joined Broadway Baptist Church in Ft. Worth, TX.

Today my dissertation proposal was officially approved by the faculty and I'm well on my way for chapter 1.

9/28/9 - I have chosen to be a Baptist minister affiliated with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and the Alliance of Baptists. I just sent my resume to them this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

lunamoth

Will to love
I was raised and educated Southern Baptist in West Texas.

I graduated from Wayland Baptist University in 2001 with a BA in Religion and 2003 with an MA in Biblical Studies, New Testament. Then I went to Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, TX for two years to learn Hebrew, French, and German to prepare for Ph.D. studies. Now I attend Brite Divinity School, where I am finishing up a Ph.D. in Biblical Studies, New Testament.

I was ordained in 2003 by a Baptist Church in Lubbock, TX, and I have been serving Baptist churches (and churches of other denomenations) in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico for the past 10 years. I'm not a pastor, I am a scholar, but my tradition affirms scholarship as a ministry. Due to the highly volatile nature of Baptist ministry these days, with Baptist ministers being trained to destroy eachother's careers and other people's lives rather than feed God's flock, I may not remain Baptist very long. I have been attending a Presbyterian church when I am not serving, looking for a denomenation that will recognize my creditials.

I preach regularly and offer countless other services to churches as requested in a wide area, but most of my time is devoted to the study of our sacred Scriptures and producing scholarly work for the academy and the church. I have not published my work yet, but am set to publish a wide variety of studies in preparation for the beginning of my professional and academic career. I am a member of several scholarly guilds and ministerial/ecumenical alliances.

Very cool AE; I have often wondered about the details of your ministry. I would say that your ministry extends here to RF as well.

luna

A

angellous_evangellous

Very cool AE; I have often wondered about the details of your ministry. I would say that your ministry extends here to RF as well.

luna

I have three major ministries: scholarship, fund raising, and ministerial supply.

The scholarship is self-evident - a Ph.D.

As for fund-raising, I serve as a consultant for a firm that helps churches raise money for buildings, etc. I don't want to divulge the company's name for privacy issues. I don't want some wacko to call. ;)

Ministerial supply = I am "on call" for several churches in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. I have relationships with several churches and help ministers out with whatever they need - I preach (or perform other ministry duties such as music, youth ministries, revivals, etc etc) for them when they are sick, resign, or offer a bottle of Jack when they need it. I do this for every position in ministry - youth ministers, music, education, whatever. The company name is Angellous, Incorporated.

A

angellous_evangellous

How fun, i never thought i could live off religion, i admire those who do:)

Actually, I've been losing money for the past several years. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm hoping that this trend will change when I am no longer a full-time student. I'll be eligible to be hired as a New Testament professor next Spring, and I am in contact with several schools now who may be interested in me - particularly if I can publish a few articles and my dissertation as planned. However, I am very young and may need to serve as a pastor for a few years first before I can teach in a seminary. My primary interest is teaching religion and classics in a state school which has no reservations hiring your profs rather than a seminary, but beggers can't be chosers.;)

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Baptist ministers being trained to destroy each other's careers and other people's lives

i'm sorry to hear it. how? is this something going on with the prof's, the seminaries, baptist leadership?

A

angellous_evangellous

i'm sorry to hear it. how? is this something going on with the prof's, the seminaries, baptist leadership?

It's definately in Baptist leadership. Our denomenational structure was completely taken over by a minority fanatically conservative group which took the presidency and with it controlled every descision-making committee within the governing structure of the denomenation, turning a democratic republic into a dictatorship - an all to familiar story from Rome to Star Wars. It was a process that took 30 years, recently reaching its pinnacle with Paige Patterson finally gaining control of Southwestern Seminary in 2001, firing all the female profs and instilling his radical agenda into its 1500+ graduates per year.

Its from the top down.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
a_e: bummer. something similar happened at a Synod convention once (back when i was lutheran) resulting in a big missouri synod schism. it was a bloody battle but at least it was voted on at the congregational level and was over fairly quickly...

we are presby's now and there were rumblings around the PCA last yr similar to what happened with the Episcopalians. I wonder is it this way in every single denomination? it's enough to make me yearn for the relative peace of eastern orthodoxy sometimes.

A

angellous_evangellous

a_e: bummer. something similar happened at a Synod convention once (back when i was lutheran) resulting in a big missouri synod schism. it was a bloody battle but at least it was voted on at the congregational level and was over fairly quickly...

we are presby's now and there were rumblings around the PCA last yr similar to what happened with the Episcopalians. I wonder is it this way in every single denomination? it's enough to make me yearn for the relative peace of eastern orthodoxy sometimes.

They have their scandals, too, but I'm rather ignorant about denomenation-wide control issues that disable Baptists.

Every Protestant denomenation that has a conservative wing is going to divide over either homosexuality or women in ministry, depending on how strong the conservative tendancies are. It's unfortunate but completely inevitable, considering how the Protestants have organized themselves denomenationally and which issues they have chosen to focus on.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
From your scholarly point of view, and out of interest in how you'd respond, do you think there are enough holes in the Bible to discredit it? (I'm mostly referring to OT). If so, why are you a Christian?

A

angellous_evangellous

From your scholarly point of view, and out of interest in how you'd respond, do you think there are enough holes in the Bible to discredit it?
(I'm mostly referring to OT).

My scholarly study of the Bible has helped me develop a view as to what the Bible is. One thing that it is not is a modern science or history textbook which is accurate in everything that it addresses in the natural or historical world. It's also not a perfectly preserved book that indicates that it is inerrant or infalliable as the words of God. It's also not a humanistic system of ethics or morality. Yes, there are more than enough holes in the Bible to discredit any of these points which have been used as propaganda by the Church (positively - denial of "holes") and by unbelievers (negatively - exploiting "holes").

What the Bible is - in my opinion - is a collection of myths concerning the nature of God and musings on God's interaction in history.

If so, why are you a Christian?

I am a Christian because I am captivated by the promise of redemption in Christ.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
angellous_evangellous said:
What the Bible is - in my opinion - is a collection of myths concerning the nature of God and musings on God's interaction in history.

Would you say things like forcing a girl to marry her rapist (Deuteronomy 22:28-29) and genocide (1 Samuel 15:3) are accurate representations of the Will of God?

Panda

42?
Premium Member
If you really are my daddy who is my mummy? Is it Gentoo? I always suspected something between you two :p