• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About a deity full of love and compassion…

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
If there is a God, then "God" is Physics, too. Surely? Some take the view that God is All and that there is nothing that is not God. So why exclude physics? I think Physics is crucial to God. Why not? There is a way here beyond the anthropomorphic God who is made in man's image (or made man in His image) and who is accused of intentionally doing things like causing disasters. Right? I mean, patently it is nonsense. You might as well believe HAARP is God.
You could say that God is All, including physics, but then, why have the label "God" at all? Why not just call it physics/nature/the universe?
Or eliminates any Gods who are claimed to have that property. Either way.
Well, certainly eliminates his credibility, which is not quite the same thing.

Random

What has been lost on you is that it's not about blaming God for anything. It's about yet one more piece of evidence that God does not exist. Clearly, at a minimum, an omnipotent and all-loving God does not exist.

Fair enough, that's your conclusion.

Autodidact said:
You just randomly chose Jews as an example, without the slightest awareness that the Jews have been used as the world's scapegoat and nearly annihilated because of it? Good choice...not.

Also fair enough, bad choice par example I guess. Please accept that no offense to Jews or anyone else was intended.

Autodidact said:
Not to me.

Yes, well it's not difficult to be quick to take offense without clearer understanding.

Autodidact said:
Well, again, you missed the point. It's not about blame. It's about logic. It's not that God sucks, but that there is no God. But clearly, if God exists, yes, He would then suck big time.

Again, that's your conclusion. Fair enough. I have nothing to say to dissuade you of your opinion.

Beta

I'm with Auto.
That'd be pretty mean, dude.

Where do you get this "God waiting 600 years exactly as predicted" thingy?
AD is assuming something I had not even mentioned and you agree ??? :confused: basing your condemnation on assumption does not help discussion.
When I said God waited 6000 years exactly as predicted it was 'time' I referred to and not Japan,earthqyake or tsunami.
There is a scripture saying God gave man 6 days in which to labour and do all his work then God would take over on the 7th day. Man's time is now up.

Random

You could say that God is All, including physics, but then, why have the label "God" at all? Why not just call it physics/nature/the universe?

Sure, you can do that. But such pantheism does not satisfy the theological mind where mind and spirit are concerned.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
AD is assuming something I had not even mentioned and you agree ??? :confused: basing your condemnation on assumption does not help discussion.
When I said God waited 6000 years exactly as predicted it was 'time' I referred to and not Japan,earthqyake or tsunami.
There is a scripture saying God gave man 6 days in which to labour and do all his work then God would take over on the 7th day. Man's time is now up.

Could you be more specific about this fascinating prediction? What is going to happen exactly? When? And where is it predicted?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hypothetical scenario:

You have a toddler. You know that he can't swim.

You see him get up and walk to the back door. You do nothing.

You see him wander over to the edge of your pool. You do nothing.

You watch him lose his balance and fall in. You do nothing.

You watch him try in vain to stay afloat. You do nothing.

You watch as his head falls below the level of the water. You do nothing.

You continue to watch as his body stops moving. You still do nothing.

Is it your fault that your child died?

And I'm sure you had really good reasons for putting in the pool, too. Does it matter?

And you expect me to answer for God?....

I think I did.

atanu

Premium Member
That doesn't get rid of the problem; it just turns it on its head. If the truly charitable thing is to slaughter everyone, then why does God continue the "agony" of our lives?

A just question. But.

I have no belief of god and I cannot hold a non-existent entity responsible for natural disasters; or I have faith in god and believe in his acts; or I understand that nature is blind, it takes away life in the same way in which it promotes it.

With a clear mind, I may see that death is not evil after all.

Skeptisch

What does atheism have to do with that part of the post?
Very little.
But since you were able to show concern and compassion for others by writing this, “Each person in Japan who was seriously affected by the earthquake is suffering right now, and each of them matter” and since researchers concluded that Americans rate atheists below Muslims, gays and lesbians and other minority groups I thought it of interest that you are an atheist.:peace:
http://beingism.org/community/?q=node/31

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
If I were God I wouldn't prevent disaster either. Without disaster humans wouldn't be able to avoid calamities, or at least be prepared for it.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I was basing my opinion on what appeared to be something you said. Apologies if it was a misunderstanding.

Ah. Well, to be honest, I don't know how you got that meaning. May I see the scripture which says God will take over on the 7th day? Or it will last forever? Or are you just adding things into scripture's meanings unwittingly?

Beta

I was basing my opinion on what appeared to be something you said. Apologies if it was a misunderstanding.

Ah. Well, to be honest, I don't know how you got that meaning. May I see the scripture which says God will take over on the 7th day? Or it will last forever? Or are you just adding things into scripture's meanings unwittingly?
OK friend , no harm done :)
I get the 6 days of man from Ex.20v9, and the 7th day of God referring to the coming millennium when Christ will establish His Kgd on earth v10.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
OK friend , no harm done :)
:)

I get the 6 days of man from Ex.20v9, and the 7th day of God referring to the coming millennium when Christ will establish His Kgd on earth v10.
Presupposing this is what will happen, which I don't think but I'm willing to postpone my belief and assume it is for sake of discussion... would the cycle not continue again and again? Would the reign only last for, like, a millennium?