• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A rise in anti-religious sentiment on the forums?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Is it just me or has there been a rise in anti-religious sentiment on these forums lately? It seems to have become a common theme in most of the threads I've looked at recently. Has anyone else noticed and been concerned by this?

Although i agree to some extent ie there seems a lot of personal attacks and ridicule recently i have also noticed that for some time that threads making unsubstantiated claims kind of invite the worst from non theists.
Saying that,i would like to see more criticism of the topic than the people debating it and some respect for people who hold to some belief or non belief,there will always be Trolls so don't feed them a set them to ignore.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I suppose there has to be a breed of 'all believers are morons' to give cosmic balance to the extreme bible bashers (haven't seen any of them in a while?)
meh - I don't think there's a rise in anti-religious feeling. It's just swings and roundabouts.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
What has been going on is that some of us have been saying out loud what we have been thinking for some time. The (self described) more tender, loving, kind hearted and sensitive among us are aghast to learn we really DO think what they believe is not simply wrong but childish and shallow.

That revelation has been shocking to their sense that a healthy humanity requires the belief in a supernatural loving god. They feel themselves besieged by an army of hateful devil worshipers who have dared to suggest that their most cherished and deeply beliefs are little more than than silly illusions.

In a word - how DARE we be so - so - insensitive !:eek:

Totally agree, and if I may add, perhaps one problem is that rationalists are seeing the world changed in front of their very eyes, all in the name of one religion or other.
We see bigotry, violence, terrorism, censorship...all in the name of some supernatural fairy story or other.
It used to be okay to say "If it makes them happy then leave them to it.". Well not with the way the world is going. An art gallery was attacked in Belgium a day or 2 ago because of a painting depicting some prayer mats, and a pair of high heels. Various parts of Africa and the middle east continue atrocities against women and homosexuals, and repress their populations, and the US has become the world centre of the stupidly educationaly dumb, complaining and stopping exhibits portraying Darwinian theory, and trying to get fairytales taught as science.
For the clearheaded rationalist this nonsense has to stop.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
If you believe fairy tales are the root of all evil.
LOL.

Not all of them. But if a group of people called themselves the Sect of Santa, and decreed that all those who did not follow it's rules, layed down on a piece of holy toilet paper that was sent up a chimney 1600 years ago, were infidels, and were to be conquered...

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
What has been going on is that some of us have been saying out loud what we have been thinking for some time. The (self described) more tender, loving, kind hearted and sensitive among us are aghast to learn we really DO think what they believe is not simply wrong but childish and shallow.

That revelation has been shocking to their sense that a healthy humanity requires the belief in a supernatural loving god. They feel themselves besieged by an army of hateful devil worshipers who have dared to suggest that their most cherished and deeply beliefs are little more than than silly illusions.

In a word - how DARE we be so - so - insensitive !:eek:
Like a lot of your other posts, nice sweeping generalization of the religious and Theist. You should understood that there not all the same I knew that many don't fall into this statement you make. But like the say you can't teach a old dog new tricks.

Wow! That hurts!:sarcastic

But while I am nursing my wounds why don't try answering the allegation?
What allegation would you like him to answer? You do know that Caladan is an Atheist right?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Ok, I was just wondering. I didn't know whether my post came off offensive or not.

Not sure I understand. When I said I'm fairly new here I was hinting that I'm not sure what could be taken as offensive to people of faith besides ad hominems and insulting insinuations. As an agnostic I've debated with both atheists and religious fundementalists. So it is not easy for me to clump together a group of people especially those who lack a faith in a god or gods.

I guess in short I'm confused as I don't know what's been going on with the attitude of atheists being here.

well whether or not you understood you still answered my question. lol. Well I can't speak for anyone else but I know that the only things which offend me are generalizations, personal attacks and condescending attitudes. So long as your respectful in the conversation and stick with discussing the idea rather than the person you should be fine. and welcome aboard.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Poor baby.:sad: Pity these religious folk. They are SO put upon.

'Why can't those godless heathens (blight on humanity that they are) just acknowledge that religious faith is the sine qua non for a human existence? Instead they push this logic reason and fact mantra totally ignoring the simple fact that these are all the flawed inventions of godless men.

The time is out of joint. But we are called by God to set it right.'

That about it?

uh, no. Omar it's not about you or anyone else's views on religion, it's about how you or anyone else expresses them. Believe it or not it is possible for you to express that you despise religion and feel the world would be better off WITHOUT being ridiculing and condescending towards those who hold religious beliefs.

Have you noticed that you have the same zeal and fervor for your views that the religious extremists hold for theirs? Have you ever considered that maybe its this zeal and fervor for one's own ideas that causes the problems and not the ideas themselves?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Its been like that for a while now, and many of us are discussing this on certain forums.
It has certainly lowered the level of discussion and debate that made me join the forum. no more are the days I would log in to find numerous stimulating threads, who may or may not be exclusively about religious topics.
I think many people cannot differentiate between constructive criticism and mindless flame baits.
It seems that some people lack the ability to discuss existing phenomena, that will keep existing for quite a while, with or without their ridicule, further more they spray their ridicule indiscriminately, on the moderate and the extreme a like. not the kind of generalizing that gives a good fiber to a forum.

Exactly what I've noticed. Ironic really when you find some who consider religion childish and yet they themselves tend to act more childish than the group of people they accuse of being childish.

frubals to you.

Erebus

Is it just me or has there been a rise in anti-religious sentiment on these forums lately? It seems to have become a common theme in most of the threads I've looked at recently. Has anyone else noticed and been concerned by this?

Concerned isn't the right word... bored is more fitting. I'm bored because of two points in particular.

1. It always seems to be the same three topics that pop up over and over, namely the problem of evil, logical fallacy or "something bad that a theist did". Sometimes it's tempting to shout "I get it! I'm an evil, immoral and inherently stupid person for believing in what I do, but please just find something new to discuss!"

2. "Religion" tends to be talked about almost exclusively in terms of the Abrahamic faiths. Not only is this (presumably) getting boring for the followers of these faiths, it also tends to exclude every other theist from the debate. There is more than one idea about what a deity is people!

Don't get me wrong I do love a challenge and I wouldn't have come to a religious DEBATE forum if I was afraid of an opposing viewpoint. However, an opposing viewpoint quickly loses its appeal when the same few points are repeatedly rammed down your throat so hard it ruptures your colon.

blackout

Violet.
The forum in general is not half as interesting as it was when I first joined.

I'm thinking more and more of just staying within the pagan and LHP directories,
unless a particular thread in the main section is either just really fun,
or strikes an interest very personal to me.

(I'm sure this would make some of you quite happy actually. :D )

And if a thread is lame but for one or two interesting posters...
i'll just respond to them... and ignore the rest.

If you think people are being redundant and rude?
Don't even bother respond I guess.

Last edited:
The forum in general is not half as interesting as it was when I first joined.

I'm thinking more and more of just staying within the pagan and LHP directories,
unless a particular thread in the main section is either just really fun,
or strikes an interest very personal to me.

(I'm sure this would make some of you quite happy actually. :D )

And if a thread is lame but for one or two interesting posters...
i'll just respond to them... and ignore the rest.

If you think people are being redundant and rude?
Don't even bother respond I guess.

dismay_stockxpertcom_id30790871_jpg_1.jpg

That's it , every one shake hands and make up , NOW!

Smoke

Done here.
The atheists are taking over the asylum.
As Amy has pointed out before, RF was founded by an atheist.

IF IF there is something more to it it may just be the rise of secularism in general in the US. We have been quiet for a long time. The RR has made a great noise the past few years and continues to do so. They have been more honest and open about what they plan for us and perhaps we are just mad as hell and won't take it anymore.

I have no hard evidence for this and make no strong claim. Just - maybe.:shrug:
Well, I hope you're right, though of course the religious right doesn't represent all religion. I was a secularist when I was a Christian, and for religious as well as secular reasons, too.

If all of the theists picked up and left to create their own exclusive club, I'd be disappointed. I want to understand their points of view, and theism will be here for a very long time I think, so we have to be able to get along. I don't want anyone to take their ball and go home.
Well, I'm not going to lie about it; there are some people I wouldn't miss a bit -- but not just because I disagree with them. I greatly enjoy Reverend Rick's posts, for instance, and he's wrong at least half the time. :D

OmarKhayyam

"Have you noticed that you have the same zeal and fervor for your views that the religious extremists hold for theirs? Have you ever considered that maybe its this zeal and fervor for one's own ideas that causes the problems and not the ideas themselves?"

Actually I have noticed that. :yes: :)And have considered the why for some time. I think it comes from two main sources. I don't think we share them both but since you were foolish enough to raise the question I will bore you with a long and complex answer.

For the true believer, who after all is the ONLY kind of believer that matters (a fact most of you seem to either fail to recognize or chose to ignore:( ) for person who takes faith seriously, whose life is defined by it, whose sees society and history thru its filter, there is little else of significance. For THAT believer the stakes are high indeed. His immortal soul and all eternity hang in the balance. And not only his but society's as well. His nation and its future depend on a proper relationship with god. And that relationship is merely the sum total of each citizen's relationship with god.

Every non-believer every "Easter Sunday Christian" or "one prayer Muslim" is a threat to his nation and its future. Such individuals must be confronted and their behavior changed, ". . . by reason where possible. By fire and sword where necessary” as L. Brent Bozell put it. These folk are deadly serious about their aims and pursue those aims with deadly seriousness. As well they should. IF what they believe IS true then their actions are not simply justified – they are required.

Which brings us to the second source of their passion. They believe they are right, absolutely right, without possibility of error. They enjoy metaphysical certainty that their god is not simply their god but the ONE and ONLY god. The tenets of their faith are not simply good ideas but are universal in application as to time place and person.

There is nothing in the analysis that is either new or startling. It largely follows the thesis in Eric Hoffer’s “The True Believer”. (If you are interested it is very good read.) That is my understanding of the source of the believer’s passion. Obviously I do not share his religious views. But the 1st source, different story . . . more to follow.;)

Aren't you sorry you asked?:D

Last edited:

Morse

To Extinguish
How does that qualify as complex?

Oh, and,

. Such individuals must be confronted and their behavior changed, ". . . by reason where possible. By fire and sword where necessary
Apparently reason is impossible.

Why do you type in blue?

OmarKhayyam

How does that qualify as complex?

Oh, and,

Apparently reason is impossible.

Why do you type in blue?

I'm not finished.

Not impossible just rare.

I like blue. It also makes it easier to ID my posts. Would you prefer reading purple? If so that option is available. :D