• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A realistic "IF" question

Spiritone

If you were to realize that everything you believe about your religion is a manipulation and exaggeration of fact and possibly or probably not true, what would be your reaction?

cardero

Citizen Mod
If you were to realize that everything you believe about your religion is a manipulation and exaggeration of fact and possibly or probably not true, what would be your reaction?
These belief scenerios can be quite common. This is called enlightenment which should make us wiser. It is only when one applys faith or becomes impassioned about their beliefs that they can become disappointed or discouraged.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
This happened to me. When it did I dropped the concept of Christianity like a rock and I opened my mind to what I could believe in.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

It happened to me too and all I felt was relief. Also thought it was really funny for some reason.

Also bought God a beer. Pretty sure He thought it was funny too.

Spiritone

It happened to me too and all I felt was relief. Also thought it was really funny for some reason.

Good thing you were not devastated as some might be if they had dedicated a lifetime to it as had their parents and relatives etc.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Good thing you were not devastated as some might be if they had dedicated a lifetime to it as had their parents and relatives etc.

I was raised Catholic and I actually took it more seriously than most of the other kids seemed to. Which is probably a big part of why I wound up questioning it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm afraid I have gone a bit too far for this to be a serious consideration. I have healthy doubts but there are indeed many things, of which, I have no doubts.

Last edited:

imaginaryme

I never actually had a religion until I invented Gwynnite in May of 2008. I was raised in an environment I now call GAC (for generic American Christian, which includes nearly everyone I know). These are people who don't go to church regularly, don't read the Bible; but who are "comfy with Jesus" and uncomfortable with the big questions.

My current religion is a composition of straight insanity (my Gwynnie thing), and the "scientific theology of convergence," which arose from personal investigation into Chaos theory and complexity and seems to be being carried forward with research into quantum information. All the taoism and Buddhism I seem to have picked up along the way lends credence to these things being actual philosophies based upon reality rather than religions.

So, personally there is no "if." Whatever it is that makes me me has been developed from "the Gwynnie thing;" the alternative is death (or at least a personality beyond the scope of my imagination - and I have a very big imagination :D ). As for convergence - it is evident in the data. Something is definitely going on.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Well, I was once a Christian and I discovered that Christianity is false and left it for a more logical religion (Judaism). If Judaism were proven false, well I'd still live by Jewish values because I have yet to have found better ones anywhere else.

cottage

Well, I was once a Christian and I discovered that Christianity is false and left it for a more logical religion (Judaism). If Judaism were proven false, well I'd still live by Jewish values because I have yet to have found better ones anywhere else.

I'm struck by your honesty and intelligence. Admirable!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

I'd self-flagellate for several hours until I felt I was sufficiently punished for thinking blasphemous thoughts.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I'd start by purchasing a spaghetti monster t-shirt......followed by new and innovative ways of bringing down religion.

I'd be an angry atheist.....and sugar coat it by telling others that Im just being logical...:shrug:

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
For me, there certainly was some bitterness, but I worked through it (mostly) and focused on liberation more than devastation.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'd start by purchasing a spaghetti monster t-shirt......followed by new and innovative ways of bringing down religion.

I'd be an angry atheist.....and sugar coat it by telling others that Im just being logical...:shrug:

Wouldn't simply being logical, without being angry, be a better choice? Would you simply not be able to not be angry? I've know a few ex-theists who became atheists who were like that - but they tend to end up being theists again. Their atheism was never based on logic in the first place though.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Wouldn't simply being logical, without being angry, be a better choice? Would you simply not be able to not be angry? I've know a few ex-theists who became atheists who were like that - but they tend to end up being theists again. Their atheism was never based on logic in the first place though.
I suppose one could say the same of those who left theism.

I was being fecetious though. I'd probably be just fine.

Mr Cheese

Well thats a whole premise of my religion

models are models

rality is reality

One's cosmology is just that....
never to be taken too seriously

because God is beyond such limitations

sonno

I think anyone would believe what they feel is an easier thing to accept. At least if they're honestly looking for true things. This happened with me, and I left Mormonism, went atheist, got very into LeVeyan Satanism, went agnostic, went Mormon, delved into Wicca, Thelema type magicks, and all sorts of other **** until my search for truth made me realize that I can't force myself to believe anything. Any person will fight for what they're used to and accept as true, but intelligent people can't lie to themselves but for so long before they're honest.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

I suppose one could say the same of those who left theism.

Indeed - I would agree that their theism was probably never based on logic in the first place either.

I'd probably be just fine.

No doubt - most atheists are just fine.