• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a question i have about christian beliefs

ssa5757

hello. my mother is very religious. and it bothers her that i am not as religious has her.
i would like to share her christian beliefs, but there are things that i just cant accept or understand.
one the most important questions i have, that i simply can not think about, is, what is going to happen to the rest of the worlds population?
what i mean, is that according to the bible, and christian beliefs, you need to repent of your sins, and accept jesus christ as your savior to be allowed into heaven. or else you are going to hell.
but, there are millions, even billions of people in this world, say, in some jungle in africa, or even just people living in places like india or china. they have never had the chance or might not have even heard of Jesus Christ, or the bible.
So are they all going to hell?
I certainly dont think they deserve such punishment. and if anything, i feel horribly sorry for some of them, they spent all their lives in devotion to a false god(s), doing no harm to anyone, or committing no sins except that of not accepting Jesus Christ.
what is going to happen to them?
This is what i find the most hard to accept is christianities lack of explanation for the population of our world, and its other religions. i dont think that anyone born in another country, accepting its religion that is not christian should go to hell.
So can anyone explain what is going to happen to the rest of the world?
this is one of the main reasons i have a very hard time accepting christianity is that it offers no explanation to this question.
ok thxs for reading my post

SoyLeche

meh...
ssa5757 said:
hello. my mother is very religious. and it bothers her that i am not as religious has her.
i would like to share her christian beliefs, but there are things that i just cant accept or understand.
one the most important questions i have, that i simply can not think about, is, what is going to happen to the rest of the worlds population?
what i mean, is that according to the bible, and christian beliefs, you need to repent of your sins, and accept jesus christ as your savior to be allowed into heaven. or else you are going to hell.
but, there are millions, even billions of people in this world, say, in some jungle in africa, or even just people living in places like india or china. they have never had the chance or might not have even heard of Jesus Christ, or the bible.
I certainly dont think they deserve such punishment. and if anything, i feel horribly sorry for some of them, they spent all their lives in devotion to a false god(s), doing no harm to anyone, or committing no sins except that of not accepting Jesus Christ.
This is what i find the most hard to accept is christianities lack of explanation for the population of our world, and its other religions. i dont think that anyone born in another country, accepting its religion that is not christian should go to hell.
this is one of the main reasons i have a very hard time accepting christianity is that it offers no explanation to this question.
Welcome.

The LDS (Mormon) Church has some interesting answers for you.

I'll give you the (very) condensed version for now. Any other LDS posters, feel free to elaborate.

Everyone will be given the opportunity to accept or reject Christ, either in this world or the next. God has made it possible for all of His children to return to him if they so desire.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
ssa5757 said:
not all of us believe this way :rolleyes:

there are bible versus that support the idea that followers of different religions will still recieve the kingdom of God

ssa5757

ok im not sure i understand. are you trying to say that when someone dies, and judgement day comes, even if they were born in some other country, believing in some other religion, that when they are called to the gates of heaven, they are given a choice?
this might explian why my cousin has accepted the mormon beliefs, maybe ill have to ask her about it.
what do you by mean either in this world, or the next? when is this opportunity given?
and if they are given this oppurtunity, and they have spent their lives devoting to a false god they believed in, and they choose not to accept the true God, do they deserve to go to hell for their faith in another religion?
i dont think so, if they havnt done any wrong, or harm, then i dont see why they should go to hell.

Aqualung

Tasty
ssa5757 said:
What will happen to the world's population is that they will be able to have the gospel preached to them in the next life. When Jesus died and "descended into hell," he was going to the spirit prison. While he was there, he set up means for missionary work to take place, so that everybody, no matter where or when they were born, would have a chance to accept or reject Jesus's message. It certainly wouldn't be very just for God to punish people for all eternity just because they were born at the wrong place at the wrong time!

ssa5757 said:
I somewhat agree with that. This will be sort of a long answer. When you die, you will either go to "paradise" or the "spirit prison." The paradise is for people who heard of christ and accepted him in this life. The spirit prison is for those who didn't hear or didn't accept (for example, the boy born in china who has never heard of christ, or the boy who heard, but couldn't accept due to cultural conflicts). The people in paradise will do missionary work and preach the gospel to those spirits in the spirit prison. Everybody will hear, and everybody will be able to accept or reject without societal pressures. If they accept, then they will be able to have certain ordinances done for them. For example, LDS do baptisms for the dead (which the Bible tells us the early christians did). Since (as the bible states) baptism is necessary for salvation, even these spirits need to be "baptised," which we do by proxy. For example, a few months ago, I was baptised on behalf of ten people who did not have a chance to be baptised in their own lifetime.

Now comes Jesus's millenial reign. During this time period, those who accepted Jesus's sacrifice, either in this life or after death, will hang out on earth with him, and do stuff. I'm not quite sure what. Those who rejected his message will be punished for his millenial reign (1000 years).

After his millenial reign, everybody will be resurected into some degree of glory in heaven. The only "people" who will suffer the punishments of an eternal hell will be satan and his minions, those who, knowing christ, chose to work against him, instead. As you can see, LDS don't really have a traditional view of hell, but I think you will find this view is more in line with the Bible than most other teachings.

ssa5757 said:
No. They will go the spirit prison, where they will have the chance to hear the gospel and either accept or reject it.
5757 said:
Yes, that would be horribly unfair if they all went to hell. I don't think that will happen.

ssa5757 said:
This is what i find the most hard to accept is christianities lack of explanation for the population of our world, and its other religions.
You should really look more in depth into the LDS view of things. ;)

Aqualung

Tasty
ssa5757 said:
ok im not sure i understand. are you trying to say that when someone dies, and judgement day comes, even if they were born in some other country, believing in some other religion, that when they are called to the gates of heaven, they are given a choice?
this might explian why my cousin has accepted the mormon beliefs, maybe ill have to ask her about it.
what do you by mean either in this world, or the next? when is this opportunity given?
and if they are given this oppurtunity, and they have spent their lives devoting to a false god they believed in, and they choose not to accept the true God, do they deserve to go to hell for their faith in another religion?
i dont think so, if they havnt done any wrong, or harm, then i dont see why they should go to hell.
If my post doesn't answer those questions, feel free to ask some more. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You must spread some Karma around before giving it to Aqualung again.

Great response, Aqualung! I'd be interested in seeing other Christian explanations to this "dilemma."

SoyLeche

meh...
Katzpur said:
You must spread some Karma around before giving it to Aqualung again.

Great response, Aqualung! I'd be interested in seeing other Christian explanations to this "dilemma."
I did what I can, Katz, but my frubals aren't worth as much as yours.

fromthe heart

ssa5757 said:
With the mission field being so well in the far reaches of the earth I would say if the word has not reached these people you are concerned about then I don't think God would send tham to hell just because they have not been informed of the truths of God's word. Once you hear the word then you ARE responsible for your actions/sins/responsibility to make the choice. At one point in the Bible it says the word HAD reached all of the world...so if the word had not been passed on by those living prior to these unknowing then their blood is on the hands of those who didn't extend the word of God to those people....My views differ some from aqualung...I feel that if you get saved you go to Paradise...if you don't/refuse the Word/reject Jesus as your savior then you go to the eternal lake of fire (the final hell)...I don't believe there is an inbetween or there is a way around what is said to be in the Word of God. It's not cruel in being this way...it's just. God has never been unjust...the purpose of all of us who are Christians is to bring the words Jesus spake while here on earth to everyone....God doesn't want anyone to end up in Hell (the eternal lake of fire) those who gop there will be their choice and not some case of injustice.

You can be grateful your mom has strong beliefs in God and wants for you to make that connection as well...that just means she loves you and wants to spend eternity with you . Don't worry that you aren't as strong in faith as she is...you sound like a babe in Christ that just needs to continue to grow in the word and I feel you will if you stop being so hard on yourself.

Respectfully,
FTH

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The entire teachings of our Lord are ensconsed into two laws. Love God. Love everyone else.

Those who love God will find a way to show that love by loving everyone else. That's really all that God requires of us.

"Whatever you did to the least of these, my brothers, you did also to me!"

nutshell

NetDoc said:
The entire teachings of our Lord are ensconsed into two laws. Love God. Love everyone else.

Those who love God will find a way to show that love by loving everyone else. That's really all that God requires of us.

Right...and if you love God and love everyone else then, naturally, you will be anxiously engaged in doing all he's asked you. Things like baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, repenting, having faith, preaching his word, giving to the poor, and so on.

It's not enough just to say I love God and everyone else.

Scuba Pete

I am sorry you don't feel a part of that. It applies to everyone.

Love causes you to do many things, but it still boils down to love: Jesus said so!

Aqualung

Tasty
NetDoc said:
I am sorry you don't feel a part of that. It applies to everyone.

Love causes you to do many things, but it still boils down to love: Jesus said so!
Whatever. :rolleyes: But I know we've had this argument before, so, might as well not waste our time. :D

ssa5757

thank you for all of your replies.
two different views have been given.
AuqaLung has said that those people will go to spirit prison.
the one thing that does bother me about that, is that it would then allow someone passage into heaven by ingnorance.
in that, someone who was born in a place/time/circumstance where he never heard the word of God, he would be given a chance to go to heaven, while someone who did hear the word and spent their life striving to keep their faith thoughout their life, and due to whatever events lost thier faith, and might not gain access to heaven. it doesnt seem fair.
and is there any biblical reference to a spirit prison? that is another thing i have a hard time understanding is all the differnet interpretations, ideals, and beliefs of christianity and the bible.
i know have heard of purgatory, but i dont know exactly what that is.

i do think that my mother shares more of the beliefs of From the Heart, who has given in his reply what i think must be a more traditional view of christian beliefs.
but i cannot agree with you From the Heart.
there is just no way that the word of God can have possibly reached every single person of the billions of this world and throuhgout history.
and i do not believe it is just to send those people to hell.
there are many people who never had the choice to accept Jesus and repent their sins, and many people who have been brought up in other religions. it is hard to believe in a religion that does not accept the other religions of the world, or explain what will happen to them.
Take the Dhali Lhama for example, he recently came to my city awhile back, and i read about him.
he has traveled the world spreading peace and happiness for people.
yet according to the bible, he is going to hell, since he has not accepted Jesus Christ.
this bothers me.
Do you really believe From the heart that the Dhali Lhama will go to hell?
i would like to believe in the spirit prison, but at the same time, there are those that dont believe in it, so it is hard to give faith in these beliefs.
ok thxs again for reading my posts
clear.gif

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
NetDoc said:

Work for me NetDoc. Wait a sec, I'm not a Christian. Ahh shucks.

I do like that line very much though, Netdoc. Words to live by.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ssa5757 said:
Hi ssa5757,

As I notice that this is your first visit to this forum, I wanted to take the opportunity to welcome you to Religious Forums!

You might like to introduce yourself to the other members, by posting on:-
Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?

Please feel free to ask questions, if you have any. You might like to check out our article with links for our newer members; from there, there is also a link to the forum rules which you ought to look at.

As a Christian myself, I can understand the way you are thinking, and your thoughts are very natural. All Christians go to heaven and everyone eklse to hell ? - We're not that exclusive a club you know............;)

The Only criterium for entry into heaven, in my mind, will be your conscience; your heart......... If your heart is pure, and full of goodness, and you have tried to live as good a life as you can, well, there will be a place for you.

Sounds a bit removed from what you have heard other Christians say ? - You don't show from which Vountry you are, and that does make a difference; if you come from America, you might well have been exposed to some of the more fundementalist Christians, who feel that entry to heaven will be denied you.........Politely, all I can say is that if they belive that, well, I pity them.

God is a God of Love, and one of compassion.

Would a God such as the one I have described about kick people away, simply because they had not heard of him ?.......well, I guess you can answer that one for yourself.

You do what you feel is right for you, and never allow yourself to be pushed in any direction. Look deep in your heart, and, if you find there is a place there for Christ, well, then, fill it. If not, then believe what you want to; as long as you lead a good life (and in case you're wondering, we are all sinners; we just have to try and sin less), I'm sure God will be there for you.

Michel.:)

Scuba Pete

God is not arbitrary... he demands love of all of us, even the Dali Lhama. For those who read his commands and Love God: they are not burdensome and are extensions of the two laws. For those who are not exposed to his teachings, love is still the answer!

The Apostles grew in the "grace" of God until the day they died, while Jesus was "full" of grace and truth. Grace is nothing less than having the character of God within you: that loving character that wants the best for everyone. If that grace is in you, and is growing you are indeed saved. For the grace of God comes from the Spirit of God.

Love God, and Love Everyone Else! On these two hang ALL of the Laws and the prophets.