• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A poll regarding cannabis use.

How often do you use cannabis?

• Often.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Occasionally.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Only tried it once or twice.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Used to, but quit.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Never tried it. Never Will.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Never tried, but curious.

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

dust1n

Zindīq
:cigar::rainbow1:

I say, send at least 1/5th of the population, at least 1/3rd of our children to jail. For basically doing nothing harmful.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I used to drink. Gave it up for health reasons. Alcohol can and does destroy lives yet I would be against any move to ban it because I believe in the freedom of adults to make their own choices.

I consider alcohol to be worse in health terms than pot and I am in principle against turning scumbag gangster criminals into millionaires through the sale of an easily cultivated herb.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I would smoke it every day if it wasn't rough on your lungs and illegal. It's good stuff but definitely not worth the trouble I could get into if I were drug tested - which is always a possibility.

So, I don't smoke it and I don't miss it. A good glass of wine works just fine for me, if I've got to "abuse a substance."

dust1n

Zindīq
I would smoke it every day if it wasn't rough on your lungs and illegal. It's good stuff but definitely not worth the trouble I could get into if I were drug tested - which is always a possibility.

So, I don't smoke it and I don't miss it. A good glass of wine works just fine for me, if I've got to "abuse a substance."

Doesn't abuse mean misuse? I'm not even really sure how one might 'misuse' marijuana or alcohol, except maybe.. missing the mouth, or an attempted needle injection?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've never tried it, never had any desire to try it, and don't foresee a desire to try it. Been around people who smoked it, been offered numerous times, just absolutely no inkling of a desire to bother with the stuff.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
While not exactly statistically significant, the surveys tiny sample set, if representative of the general populace of those who can use a computer and like discussing philosophical ideas and could be credited with some form of intelligence, would indicate that despite the official dire warnings about how bad and dangerous this substance is, around 70% have ignored that advice and at least tried it, with 30% currently continuing to use it. In fact surprisingly, only 30% have indicated they have not and never will.

Is this a rejection of dogma and an example of the human nature that has used and abuse substances naturally for millennia? Or is this perculiar to those who can use computers and like philosophical online discussions? Does this mean we should increase our jails capacity to accommodate between 30-70% of the populace, who are obviously evil ignorers of dogma.

Cheers

Dezzie

Never tried it and not interested. I'm probably the only person alive who dislikes the smell and actually gets a headache from breathing it in (ie/ when near people who are smoking). Smoke also makes me sneeze.

I am actually with you on this one. I've never tried it, never will. I dislike the smell and get headaches from it too. I even hate going out to a public place and the people all around me are smoking tobacco. Can't say it makes me sneeze but breathing it in and getting a headache is enough for me to dislike it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I would like to point out though that as someone who is not interested in the drug, I do not think that it should be illegal. Like others have mentioned, alcohol is worse.

DarkSun

:eltiT
While not exactly statistically significant, the surveys tiny sample set, if representative of the general populace of those who can use a computer and like discussing philosophical ideas and could be credited with some form of intelligence, would indicate that despite the official dire warnings about how bad and dangerous this substance is, around 70% have ignored that advice and at least tried it, with 30% currently continuing to use it. In fact surprisingly, only 30% have indicated they have not and never will.

Is this a rejection of dogma and an example of the human nature that has used and abuse substances naturally for millennia? Or is this perculiar to those who can use computers and like philosophical online discussions? Does this mean we should increase our jails capacity to accommodate between 30-70% of the populace, who are obviously evil ignorers of dogma.

Cheers

There are six possible options, so assuming all options are of equal value, you'd expect 16.67% for each. Apply a chi-squared test to that.

I would like to point out though that as someone who is not interested in the drug, I do not think that it should be illegal. Like others have mentioned, alcohol is worse.

Alcohol can be worse. But then again, it depends on the person. :S

I don't think it's very sensible to be legalising a psychoactive we don't know much about. The fact that there are conflicting studies regarding its effects on mental illness doesn't help THC's case. I agree that it'd be a much better drug than morphene with regard to pain relief. But that doesn't help its case, either.

It's been linked to mental illness, to aggravating mental illness, and it has a causal relationship with cancer (only when smoked - like cigarettes), to hypertension, to cardiac problems... I just think we should be careful, that's all. If it is legalised, it should be classified as a dopamine releasing agent (DRA) and used for medicinal purposes, under supervision.

Last edited:

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
Used to smoke loads, literally go through an ounce a week of some good Ivory coast weed or some gold seal hash, given up when got pregnant with my son. Do I miss it? I miss the fun of it that makes your head spin a bit and makes you all giggly.. Dont miss needing a spliff in the morning before work to just feel normal.. Would I smoke again? If my spiritual/ mystical practice requires it.

My Mom still puffs, has been for over 25 years, funny thing is she is morbidly religious, but apparently her God gives her slack when it comes to dope smoking..

Draka

Wonder Woman
As it's a drug that is legal in some places how would one really regulate the discussion? Do you let someone who lives in a place where it is legal get all descript in their use, as one might with alcohol or cigarettes, but moderate those who are in places where it is currently illegal? Also, people move around. Who's to say that they weren't somewhere where it is legal when they were using? Or do we just pick a place and arbitrarily decide that it is that place's laws that we are going to base all our moderation on? and would that even be close to fair?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
*shrug* I gave an honest reply, didnt realise I was expected to do less than that
Sorry, Katia, an honest answer could earn you an infraction for breaking rule #6 in the RF rulebook. Please review.

6. Illegal Activities
Discussions about your engagement in or encouragement for others to participate in any illegal activity is prohibited. This includes the use of illegal Drugs, infringement of intellectual property rights; including, music, software, or literature, photographs etc. It also covers Terrorism and all violent crime. And criminal activities. These Topics may be discussed and debated in a way that does not promote an illegal activity

Panda

42?
Premium Member
As it's a drug that is legal in some places how would one really regulate the discussion? Do you let someone who lives in a place where it is legal get all descript in their use, as one might with alcohol or cigarettes, but moderate those who are in places where it is currently illegal? Also, people move around. Who's to say that they weren't somewhere where it is legal when they were using? Or do we just pick a place and arbitrarily decide that it is that place's laws that we are going to base all our moderation on? and would that even be close to fair?

As long as you are not breaking the laws of the place you were at the time of the activity then it is acceptable.