• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new word: laicophobia

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Thanks to the UAAR, atheist association in my country this word has become very useful to describe political attitudes that reject secularism. From the Latin laicus and Greek word phobeia.

This word specifically targets those who oppose the compulsory teaching of evolution in schools, or those who rise up against secular impositions of the state.

what do u say, English speakers: do u accept this new word into your language? ;):):)

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
Thanks to the UAAR, atheist association in my country this word has become very useful to describe political attitudes that reject secularism. From the Latin laicus and Greek word phobeia.

This word specifically targets those who oppose the compulsory teaching of evolution in schools, or those who rise against secular impositions of the state.

what do u say, English speakers: do u accept this new word into your language? ;):):)
Oh, I don't know. I had to read your post several times before I sort of understood the word. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I prefer my epithets to be more fun to say, like "poop-head"

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Google search does not recognize that word. How can I go against the all knowing, all seeing Oracle?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

This word specifically targets those who oppose the compulsory teaching of evolution in schools, or those who rise against secular impositions of the state.

you neglected to include the translation of "laicos," which means "layman" according to google translate.

So, fear of the layman means exactly what?

and what is the appropriate term for the "word [that] specifically targets those who oppose the compulsory teaching of creationism in schools, or those who rise against religious impositions of the state?"

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
you neglected to include the translation of "laicos," which means "layman" according to google translate.

So, fear of the layman means exactly what?

fear of secularism
and what is the appropriate term for the "word [that] specifically targets those who oppose the compulsory teaching of creationism in schools, or those who rise against religious impositions of the state?"
Theophobia

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Skwim

Veteran Member
In Italian it's laicofobia...very new here too..I found a definition in Portuguese.
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laicofobia
Which defined as:

"Laicofobia' é o medo que uma pessoa tem de não pertencer a uma religião, ou seja de ser laico."

I find translated as

"Laicofobia It is either that of a person who is a member of a religious person, or a person of a lay person."
Which I read as a fear of either a religious person or a lay person. Neither of which indicate a fear of a secular person.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Which defined as:

"Laicofobia' é o medo que uma pessoa tem de não pertencer a uma religião, ou seja de ser laico."

Laicophobia is the fear a person has of not belonging to a religion, or to be a secular person

Uhm...very inexact definition...it should be edited by someone like o nosso amigo brasileiro @LuisDantas

Laicophobia is just fear towards secularism. period.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Which defined as:

I find translated as

"Laicofobia It is either that of a person who is a member of a religious person, or a person of a lay person."
Which I read as a fear of either a religious person or a lay person. Neither of which indicate a fear of a secular person.

Holy mother of all translations !!
I am going to translate this for you: Laicofobia is the fear that a person has of not belonging to a religion, in other words ( the fear ) of being secular.

Some random dude created the term and put it on Wikipedia.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Which defined as:

I find translated as

Try " Laicophobia is the fear that a person may have of not being connected to a religion - which is to say, to of being a lay person."

I don't think that is too accurate either, though; a lay person is not necessarily unconnected to a religion in common parlance. Lay persons lack religious authority, that is all. Some of them are very devout believers.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Try " Laicophobia is the fear that a person may have of not being connected to a religion - which is to say, to of being a lay person."

I don't think that is too accurate either, though; a lay person is not necessarily unconnected to a religion in common parlance. Lay persons lack religious authority, that is all.
Indeed...in these contexts it is used to indicate the simple fear towards secular laws.
http://glosa-crua.blogspot.com/2017/08/laicidade-e-laicofobia.html

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

In France the word laïcité (from the same latin) means secularism. It's it so meaningful to the french that following he spate of terror attacks it is often appended to the french motto at official events with moves to have it officially included.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité, laïcité.

Surely in italian it would be liacofobia?

David T

Premium Member

I am pretty sure the need and fascination with using Greek and Latin as terms as they are being used here was first introduced by the evil empire..

Skwim

Veteran Member
So if I read everyone correctly, laicophobia it isn't so much a fear of secularism, as it is a fear of not having a religion.

Google now recognises the word

It points to this thread.

Quick work google,
I think Estro Felino has friends in high places. VERY high places.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So if I read everyone correctly, laicophobia it isn't so much a fear of secularism, as it is a fear of not having a religion.

I think Estro Felino has friends in high places. VERY high places.

The Kremlin comes to mind but thats another story.

Its a simple task to get to #1 on google, ask any seo spam artist.

seo = search engine optimisation. A series of tricks to get your website a good search ranking even without content for mr average reader to enjoy.