• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New Twist on Racism in Sport

Poisonshady313

I am sure if he was just a Jew without the Israeli/Zionist part, this won't be the reaction. I think this wasn't about that specific person but what he represented and symbolized. He represents Israel after all and we all know many Muslims have a real problem with it.

HE PLAYS SOCCER! That's all he's ever done his whole life. All he represents or symbolizes is a guy dedicated to playing soccer.

The Malays who booed him are all a bunch of bigoted jerks, as is anyone who applauds their miserable, boorish behavior.

Flankerl

LOL! Racism? Why did you drag racism in the issue? His religion? LOL!
I think this is because he is a Zionist and we know the creed and actions of the Zionist entity.

Chill out!! ;)

W T F

So obviously because he is a football player from Israel he is a zionist.

Of course.:facepalm:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
This post is hypocritical. You complain (and to some extent, rightfully so) about how Israel is violating human rights, yet you seem to think of Malaysia as such a great place. Malaysia has a fairly poor human rights record- all Malays are forced to be Muslim by law and other religions don't have as many rights (for example, it's illegal to be Shiite in Malaysia). So, by that standard, if I see a Malaysian person playing soccer, should I jeer at them everytime they kick the ball b/c of Malaysia's disregard for freedom of religion?

xkatz, you just don't get it, do you? Prejudice is only unacceptable when the other guy is practicing it.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I sure do hope the NFL gets things worked out before American football season starts up. As an American, I'm always amazed at how politics, religion, etc gets all caught up in soccer, errr, I mean THE OTHER FOOTBALL, hooliganism.

About the worst we do is this:

cheesehead2.jpg

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Jews are a completely different race?

No, but they are a distinct ethnic group, as defined by wikipedia, Marriam-Webster, and dictionary.com. And discrimination against an ethnic group is included in the definition of racism given in the UN's "International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination".

And the UN's rulings are typically given a fair bit more weight outside of the US.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No, but they are a distinct ethnic group, as defined by wikipedia, Marriam-Webster, and dictionary.com. And discrimination against an ethnic group is included in the definition of racism given in the UN's "International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination".

And the UN's rulings are typically given a fair bit more weight outside of the US.

Any race can practice Judaism, you're probably referring to Semites,who are of any religion. If you disagree, define "ethnic".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sounds like people are screwing up our language so they can wield the word "racism" to describe any offense.
By that standard though, it's racist to imply Jews are a separate race.
"Bigotry" is accurate, although I'll concede that it's less histrionic than "racism".

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Any race can practice Judaism, you're probably referring to Semites,who are of any religion. If you disagree, define "ethnic".

Actually, since I never said Jews were a race, I'd suggest you read my post again.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Sounds like people are screwing up our language so they can wield the word "racism" to describe any offense.
By that standard though, it's racist to imply Jews are a separate race.
"Bigotry" is accurate, although I'll concede that it's less histrionic than "racism".

:shrug: Maybe, but words do evolve, and I think there is logic in the UN's definition. That might actually make for a good thread itself.

I agree with you though. Here in the US, bigotry would be the appropriate term as we typically restrict racism to just physical race.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes, a thread like that could be interesting. The 'race' term does seem innapropriate in this
instance. It's an easy mistake to make anyway, just because it's used so much.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
:shrug: Maybe, but words do evolve, and I think there is logic in the UN's definition.
The UN...pish posh!
(When I say "UN", imagine my voice dripping with venom & derision.)
Those bumbling buffoons should keep their many sticky little hands off our language.

I agree with you though. Here in the US, bigotry would be the appropriate term as we typically restrict racism to just physical race.
Woo hoo....detente!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I sure do hope the NFL gets things worked out before American football season starts up. As an American, I'm always amazed at how politics, religion, etc gets all caught up in soccer, errr, I mean THE OTHER FOOTBALL, hooliganism.

About the worst we do is this:

cheesehead2.jpg
Sorry, Kathryn, but I'm confused. Which one is suppose to be the Jew and which the Muslim?

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I assume that the intent of the booing was to express derision for Israel (its policies if not its existence) and not to denigrate a faith commuity. I also assume that the attitude of many who participated was laced with antisemitism. I do not, however, consider the act primarilly or necessarily antisemitic.

Flankerl

Hint: Jews are ethno religious people

Hint 2: The football player in question is a jew.

Do the math.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Hint: Jews are ethno religious people

Hint 2: The football player in question is a jew.

Do the math.

If you can explain why the term "racism" is appropriate
in the thread title, by all means, do so. As was mentioned
earlier, the reaction of the crowd is probably not
directed at the specific player.

Last edited by a moderator: