• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New Twist on Racism in Sport

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I regularly boo Chelsea as a fan of a local rival in Tottenham, but last night, midfielder Yossi Benayoun (Israel) was booed every time he touched the ball because because of his religion and place of birth.

Chelsea were playing a pre-season match against a Malaysian XI (Malaysia being a majority muslim country) and the 80,000+ crowd reacted to every touch of the ball Yossi had.

Should this be tolerated? How can these racist pigs be allowed to watch the beautiful game when they attack a player due to his nationality and religion? Its sport, not politics. It shocks beyond belief that people can be so pathetic.

Thoughts?

Sahar

LOL! Racism? Why did you drag racism in the issue? His religion? LOL!
I think this is because he is a Zionist and we know the creed and actions of the Zionist entity.

Chill out!! ;)

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I think this is because he is a Zionist and we know the creed and actions of the Zionist entity that are based on racism and injustice.

Chill out!! ;)

Because they're booing him for being a jew, its pathetic and its racism.

They should be kicked out of FIFA for being such pathetic fans of the sport. Funny though, when England did something similar with regard to certain players such as Adebayour we never heard the end of the race debate. Now that a non-white race is involved its less important.

I don't think Yossi Benayoun is responsible for anything to do with Palestine so its a shame on football that he is targeted for being Israeli.

Sahar

Because they're booing him for being a jew, its pathetic and its racism.
How do you know if it's not for being a Zionist? Given the fact that the creed and actions of the Zionist entity are based on racism and injustice. I am sure there are good Jews out there who oppose such destructive values.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
How do you know if it's not for being a Zionist? Given the fact that the creed and actions of the Zionist entity are based on racism and injustice. I am sure there are good Jews out there who oppose such destructive values.

Is that a reason to attack the player for doing his job? He plays football for petes sake, its not like he's running round making headlines for wanting to destroy Palestine.

Yossi Benayoun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Doesn't look like a zoinist to me. Looks like a FOOTBALLER!

There is no excuse to attack the lad for whatever reason on a pre-season friendly in another country. Whether it be for him being Israeli, Jewish (he's actually from Morocco), or whatever reason. Its 1 person and football is meant to be better than racism/whatever you want to call it.

Sahar

I am sure if he was just a Jew without the Israeli/Zionist part, this won't be the reaction. I think this wasn't about that specific person but what he represented and symbolized. He represents Israel after all and we all know many Muslims have a real problem with it. Nothing is new about the conflict.

And a person like me doesn't acknowledge its legitimacy in the first place, so...I don't really have a problem with the booing.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I am sure if he was just a Jew without the Israeli/Zionist part, this won't be the reaction. I think this wasn't about that specific person but what he represented and symbolized. He represents Israel after all and we all know many Muslims have a real problem with it. Nothing is new about the conflict.

And a person like me doesn't acknowledge its legitimacy in the first place, so...I don't really have a problem with the booing.

Funny given that he is't actually Moroccan.

So its ok to take anger out on a mere football player because of religious and political issues? Thats pathetic.

I don't usually have a problem but its targeting a player because of his nationality and because of what he may or may not represent. Its a disgrace to Malaysia and football in Malaysia. Every person who booed should be ashamed.

gnomon

And what does he represent? No one has provided any information that this player is a marauding Zionist boogeyman.

And why the hell would the Malaysians care? Just because they too are Muslim. Moronic.

Archer

And what if it had been reversed? What would the Muslims be saying? What if they trashed Muhammad?

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Sahar,
Ok, in that sense, when any Malaysian athlete takes a field, he should be jeered cause he's an Islamist.

Also, how is the belief that Jews should have a homeland so that they may be safe from racist violence(the definition of Zionism) racist?

Sahar

Sahar,
Ok, in that sense, when any Malaysian athlete takes a field, he should be jeered cause he's an Islamist.
But any Malaysian could be Muslim, Christian, Hindu, etc...Malaysia is a such a diverse place. ;)

Also, how is the belief that Jews should have a homeland so that they may be safe from racist violence(the definition of Zionism) racist?
You mean having a homeland at the expense of other people, having a homeland by replacing Arabs with Jews? Having a homeland based on race? A homeland safe from violent racism by committing racism and violence?
Sorry, I do find this very troublesome and completely unethical.

xkatz

But any Malaysian could be Muslim, Christian, Hindu, etc...Malaysia is a such a diverse place. ;)

You mean having a homeland at the expense of other people, having a homeland by replacing Arabs with Jews? Having a homeland based on race? A homeland safe from violent racism by committing racism and violence?

This post is hypocritical. You complain (and to some extent, rightfully so) about how Israel is violating human rights, yet you seem to think of Malaysia as such a great place. Malaysia has a fairly poor human rights record- all Malays are forced to be Muslim by law and other religions don't have as many rights (for example, it's illegal to be Shiite in Malaysia). So, by that standard, if I see a Malaysian person playing soccer, should I jeer at them everytime they kick the ball b/c of Malaysia's disregard for freedom of religion?

Last edited:

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
But but but...that's what Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Yemen, Jordan, and Syria did in their birth! They got their homeland based on "race"(ethnicity) at the expense of others. Further, they did the same(actually, worse) in the name of defense of their homelands and "people". This stinks of hypocrisy.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
People are obnoxious, hateful knuckle-draggers. Especially in large crowds. Religion only seems to exacerbate this. What can you do? Small-mindedness is like a drug for ignorant people.

Poisonshady313

I think this is because he is a Zionist and we know the creed and actions of the Zionist entity.

Chill out!! ;)

I'm going to set aside the fact that your views and feelings regarding Zionism are entirely repugnant and grounded in baseless hatred, being completely detached from reality.

Your attitude towards this athlete is akin to a person figuring that every German person, simply by being German, is a Nazi.

The soccer (that's right, I'm American and I'll call it soccer) field (and by extension, the stands) is no place for such repulsive bigotry.