• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Guide....How To Beat Your Wife The Correct Way

Ellen Brown

Traditionally they use a miswak and a silk scarf.

I was taught a stick about the size of a pencil. I did not know about the silk scarf. So, actually symbolic and not painfully punitive? My first exposure to Sunni Islam was with very conservative people from Sudan and the Gulf Area. I had no cultural reference to use to understand. I have had other Muslim women complain to me that the men USE the Quran against them. Thankfully, I was old when I became Muslim so I did not marry. No man felt I had to obey him.

Cooky

Veteran Member
nope... a toothbrush.

Aaawe... That's so sweet actually..!

chris-farley-tommy-boy.jpg

Cooky

Veteran Member
I guess Islam isn't that bad afterall..!

...And with a scarf? Who knew they were just teddy bears this whole time..?

Last edited by a moderator:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Male chauvinism has long dominated the world since time began.

So it’s understandable that when translators, who were all male by the way, read & interpreted the Quran they obviously believed that the Arabic term meant to ’hit or strike’ as they were likely wife bashers themselves or highly approved of it.

So the scene was set by male translators to keep supporting a practice that never began with the Quran oblivious that where ever in the Quran ‘to hit or to strike’ is mentioned a number is also mentioned such as 100 lashes or 50 canings. But with this one it appears culture prevailed in translating and interpretation.

The Quran says not to be violent towards women here so how can it be telling men to hit women without saying how hard, with what and how many times. OBVIOUSLY a glaring translators huge mistake.

2:231

But when ye divorce women, and they have fulfilled their pre-scribed time, either retain them with humanity, or dismiss them with kindness; and retain them not by violence, so that ye transgress; for he who doth this surely injureth his own soul.

So to mistreat a woman with violence in the Quran is so dire that it injures the soul of the perpetrator!!

This provision in Sura 2:231 in the Quran against domestic violence towards women directly contradicts this translation of the Quran 4:34

And those you fear may be rebellious admonish; banish them to their couches, and beat them.

Arberry

So if they are rebellious you’re not allowed to be violent towards them to stop them being rebellious but you can beat them all you like???!!

But recent translations notably by a female translator has found that the Arabic word to hit and to separate or leave are the same and either could be used. This is her translation of 4:34

And those females whose resistance you fear, then admonish them (f) and abandon them (f) in their sleeping places and go away from them

Altafsir.com - Translations - التراجم

Muhammad never beat his wives but walked away when there were tensions. Others are beginning to agree that the correct translation is more likely ‘to walk away’.

It is no wonder that male translators have given themselves a free license to beat and bash their wives but the Quran doesn’t agree and upon further investigation it’s being discovered that it’s a sentiment that biased their translations and interpretations that the Quran disagrees with whereas women see it for what it is pure domestic violence.

Men will just have to get used to not bashing or beating their wives anymore.

Last edited: