• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Fish That Uses Tools

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Sea creatures are very smart.

For example I didn't know octopuses could walk on land until I saw this

Actually I did know...when as a kid I watched the little mermaid

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sea creatures are very smart.

For example I didn't know octopuses could walk on land until I saw this

Actually I did know...when as a kid I watched the little mermaid

Here's a story I have to find it, where an octopus in the laboratory climbed out of his tank and ate the inhabitants in the adjacent tank and climb back into his own tank afterwards.

They would have never known that was the case if they hadn't set up a sting operation to see what was happening.

Lol

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A recent TV programme here showed a crab (I think, or squid) hiding from prey by covering itself in small stones to blend in with the background and another small crab with a bunch of anemones held in its claws to ward off predators - the anemones being of the stinging variety. We have still much to learn about animal behaviour and how clever many actually are.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A recent TV programme here showed a crab (I think, or squid) hiding from prey by covering itself in small stones to blend in with the background and another small crab with a bunch of anemones held in its claws to ward off predators - the anemones being of the stinging variety. We have still much to learn about animal behaviour and how clever many actually are.
Aye, them there BBC critter shows are great.

David T

Premium Member
Surprising & very interesting.....
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011/07/diver-snaps-first-photo-fish-using-tools

Chimps, monkeys, birds.....humans sure have lost their
imagined special place in the world over the last century, eh.
Well no we havent lost that aspect. we simply changed the "scientific" fact from tool usage creature to something other flavor of the day fact is all. Like we were idiots till jane goodall came along and now we really understand. Which is identical to before jane goodall came along.. The population has grown from 2.8 bil to 7.5 bil. Thats functioning at the level of rabbits so how "smart" are we really?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Well no we havent lost that aspect. we simply changed the "scientific" fact from tool usage creature to something other flavor of the day fact is all. Like we were idiots till jane goodall came along and now we really understand. Which is identical to before jane goodall came along.. The population has grown from 2.8 bil to 7.5 bil. Thats functioning at the level of rabbits so how "smart" are we really?

Yeah, but how many rabbits enjoy a smoke afterwards?

David T

Premium Member
Yeah, but how many rabbits enjoy a smoke afterwards?
ha!! he thinks shes there because he is such an awesome stud. All she cares about is he is a sperm donor!. i love this movie...we are not that "rational". Or even smart actually. On a side note i am up to 6 guitars now and three amps!!! Talk about stupid.
b507679e168dcdd2dad3fdb70926649b.jpg

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Cough...cough...my country has the lowest birth rate since 1850.
Let's not speak of Europe please, when we speak of bunnies.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
ha!! he thinks shes there because he is such an awesome stud. All she cares about is he is a sperm donor!. i love this movie...we are not that "rational". Or even smart actually. On a side note i am up to 6 guitars now and three amps!!! Talk about stupid.
View attachment 24147

Only 6 and 3? Well it is only Sunday...

David T

Premium Member
Cough...cough...my country has the lowest birth rate since 1850.
Let's not speak of Europe please, when we speak of bunnies.
i am talking about the actual growth and that is borderless in its effects. Actual Fertility rates has zero to do with anything really. A population of ten thousand can have a high fertity rate but the growth in actual numbers is low compared to say a population group of one hundred million with an incrediblly low fertility rate.. So its the actual numbers that are problematic. The global Population grows at about 80 mil a year and that actual number imcreases each year due to shear scale of population independent of fetility rates.

we would actuall need negative fertility rate to take effect to counter the population growth. But the requierment to drop the 80 million a year into negative territory appears at this time, at least to me, impossible.

On a side note in ww2, 50 to 80 mil died. So the total global pop growth of a single year was lost during that war. Not much actually. The tsunami in the indian ocean killed 200,000. it mearly stalled growth for one day. Our lives are cheap. We have done it to ourselves.