• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A few questions for the egg-heads out there

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
1) Why is the world beautiful? Even deadly creatures, hostile environments and dangerous weather systems are beautiful to people, why is this so?

2) It is often said that religion has been part of the human experience since the dawn if humanity itself... why?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
1) Why is the world beautiful? Even deadly creatures, hostile environments and dangerous weather systems are beautiful to people, why is this so?

Relativity is a wonderful thing.

2) It is often said that religion has been part of the human experience since the dawn if humanity itself... why?

Idealism.

Francine

Because we find things which are rare to be beautiful. Gold, diamonds, a rainbow, the sun setting under a thundercloud, a canyon which is a mile deep, a comet which can impact the Earth and kill everyone.

Somkid

The world is beautiful because that is how we perceive it to be, the human mind likes that which is symmetrical as is our natural world.

Religion and belief has been a big part of the human experience because it has served as a way to answer that which we could not answer. I believe in the future religion will be replaced by philosophy if religion does not destroy us first.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
If I had a mouth I could tell you.

egghead.jpg

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Could those who simply left names to research please summerise? My questions are quite simple and don't require an essay.

kadzbiz

Could those who simply left names to research please summerise? My questions are quite simple and don't require an essay.

Firstly welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Secondly, the questions are simple, but the answers are not. The reasons people are giving just names is because those writers have put the answer you seek in such wonderful ways that can't be simply written here.

For a simple answer, ask a simple man.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

The two may be connected.

The world is beautiful because it is also ugly. From Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching, Derek Lin translation,
"When the world knows beauty as beauty, ugliness arises
When it knows good as good, evil arises
Thus being and non-being produce each other."

Accurate Translation of the Tao Te Ching

Part of the religious experience is the perception of beauty. Art is inextricably a part of religion. And art is aesthetic.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

If you're looking for a simplistic summary of Atran's work, you won't get one from me. Last time I saw an adequate summary of his work, the summary ran 11 pages. Best to do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of his book, "In Gods We Trust". So what if Atran takes more effort to understand than it takes to read the back of a cereal box? His ideas are worth it.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
If you're looking for a simplistic summary of Atran's work, you won't get one from me. Last time I saw an adequate summary of his work, the summary ran 11 pages. Best to do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of his book, "In Gods We Trust". So what if Atran takes more effort to understand than it takes to read the back of a cereal box? His ideas are worth it.

I'll look into it.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Why is the world beautiful? Because else it would be ugly. And who really wants to look at ugly stuff? I'd rather look and see beauty.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
1) beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally find Acorn Worms to be icky.
2) The evidence of spiritual thinking predates humanity. Neanderthals buried their dead and cared for the sick. Even earlier hominids have evidence of 'humanity'.
We inherited it from our ancestors... the mind that thinks abstract thoughts can think of lots of fun ideas.

wa:do