• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A fear so powerful that is chills your very soul (or consciousness)

AlsoAnima

Friend
Now that I've got your attention let me share something with you.
I think that any rational person should take a moment every now and then, to doubt what they know to be true and consider how they would think if what someone else was true.

So I did so.
I found two possibilities rather scary, and it's been bothering me for awhile.
  1. An orthodox Christian would likely argue that I'm going to hell, and to orthodox Christians, hell is a fiery pit of unending torture.
  2. An atheist would inform me that once I did, it's over, I merely rot as my body becomes reduced to it's base components and eventually get reintroduced to nature.

I found these possibilities so chilling, that thinking about them causes my mind to go numb and sociopathic.

Anyone else have a similar experience with another world view's ultimate end? Or another aspect of it.

Anyone else have any advise to give on these feelings?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Well, first off, I don't think the atheist one is so scary. You'll be dead so you won't even be aware of it.

And as for the other one, I guess you just have to hope that you're not wrong. You know, anyone can make up an idea about what happens when you die. I can make up some right now:

You will be ground up into tiny pieces, but will still be able to feel all of the pain such a thing would cause

You will melt into a pool of everyone else who is dead and you'll all mix together and catch each other's STDs

You'll be thrown into a bit of huge spiders which will lay eggs in your ears

All of those sound scary too... If you considered every theory in the world, you'd always be scared. Just think about what you believe and live how you think you should live. And if you are wrong, and God sentences you to hell, then you wouldn't want to be in heaven with a guy like that anyway.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

I've thought about other religions or other philosophies being true. When I first left Christianity I used to think about the fact that if I'm wrong I'm going to hell.

I was scared a little, but then I remembered all the reasons I left Christianity. Now, I don't care about the afterlife. God didn't make me to die. He made me here so that I can be concerned about here. What happens after I die is God's business.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I think that any rational person should take a moment every now and then, to doubt what they know to be true and consider how they would think if what someone else was true.

So I did so.

1. An orthodox Christian would likely argue that I'm going to hell, and to orthodox Christians, hell is a fiery pit of unending torture.
  2. An atheist would inform me that once I did, it's over, I merely rot as my body becomes reduced to it's base components and eventually get reintroduced to nature.
I found these possibilities so chilling, that thinking about them causes my mind to go numb and sociopathic.

Anyone else have a similar experience with another world view's ultimate end? Or another aspect of it.

As atheist I have a small luxeryposition here. I like my own version where I will just disappear. Like whereismynotecard said, going to nothing isn't a bad thing as you cannot think about it when it happened.

And other religions make it easy for me. You see, every religion has a very cool death. Because that's what religions do. they want to take away the fear of dying. So I have no idea what this heaventhing is supopsed to be, but I do know that it will be awesome there! Because that's what heaven is about, being awesome there..
On the other hand, if I do not want to die, there are religions enough who make sure I never will! I'll just return. Another form perhaps, but who cares. I always wanted to fly like a bird or live an easy life like a dog.

But then there are also the bad parts ofcourse. That's the part that just cannot scare me in any way. You see, you go to the bad parts, like hell, when you've been a bad boy. In general, I am far from a bad boy.
And it also appears that you go to hell in some cases if you don't follow a certain religion. And I just cannot buy that. It makes so little sense that I cannot be bothered by getting scared over that.

Angelfire

So I did so.

Let me assure you of one thing.....you are not going to hell......nobody is going to hell..........you are not in a body right now so what difference does it make if the body drops. You are and always will be a spirit being. To be absolutely accurate, consciousness is what you are. Consciousness cannot go anywhere, consciousness "IS"
everything. Hope this helps.

Drop the fear and enjoy your life to the full.

Peace

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
The concept of a hell has never really scared me, even though I was raised Christian. For some reason, I just either didn't think I was going to go there, or didn't think God would do that to me. After I reached adolescence and came to my own conclusions about the world, I decided that I was an atheist. However, I'll admit that it was a cold feeling thinking that no essence of myself existed beyond death. Since then, through my own research and life experiences, I've come to believe that some part of me exists post mortem. I don't know what, I don't know how, and to be honest, I don't care. The only thing I need is to know that death is not the end of existence.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
I don't pretend to know what happens after death. In point of fact I don't want to know. Tangible existence of the soul, transmigration or relocation of the soul, etc are all things that would turn the world on its head if we were to ever find out about them.

As a rule I always have to be true to myself, and the great mysteries (like what happens after death) are part of what make life worth living to me. All the vagueries of human existence pale in comparison to the great mysteries that await us in the deeper recesses of the cosmos, and that's saying a lot considering how complex humanity is.

It is for this reason that I don't pay mind to what happens to me after death as long as I am satisfied with my life at the end (always being true to what I think, believe, and feel is my start on this), then why should I worry about my death?

MTF

IF_u_knew

Curious

So I did so.

I did.. but my fear was more of being here right now in "the void".. not knowing the REALITY that we may actually be in. To go from a Christian view point (eh.. sort of anyway) to the idea that when we die, we ACTUALLY die (as in.. nothing else.. it's over) is rather distressing *at first*.. but slowly I have come to appreciate it more. First, it is realistic to what we actually know.. and then, it is has much more of an impact on how I view life now and what I want to leave with others... it causes me to consider much more than having a view of afterlife and it also gives me freedom to know that I am living honestly rather than hypocritically. Life is given now.. there is not a doubt in my mind that *this* is life (after life = death.. logically speaking, no?). If we can't even accept it as it has been given to us (regardless of how), then why would we think we would fare much better with an eternity of it at our disposal? The latter thought is now even more disturbing to me considering what it is most who claim they will have it, eternal life, have contributed to in terms of this creation we are in now. :cover:

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond

So I did so.

My advice is not to even bother thinking about the hell of Christian fundamentalists. The slightest whisper of reason sends their whole cosmology into complete collapse. For just one example, if God is good, how is it that he would favour awful people like religious fundamentalists (war-making, torturing, oppressing, hating, obstinately ignorant, lacking in awe and wonder at the incredible gift of life) over decent, well-meaning heathens who have never done any harm in the world and are so fascinated by every marvelous detail of God's creation they can't be bothered to mindlessly spout scripture? And if God is not good - i.e. if he's the type of character who enjoys the company of brainless religious fundamentalists - would it really be so great to spend an eternity by his side? Wouldn't you prefer hell, knowing that all the really interesting people will be there too? I know I'd happily endure hellfire for a chance to sit and chat with Kurt Vonnegut, Madam Chang, Einstein, Galileo, Joan of Arc and Mozart if the alternative was sitting on a lovely, soft cloud with Bill O'Reilly, Jack Chick and the Phelpses.

With regard to the atheist idea of eventual non-existence, it really doesn't bother me. I fear pain and sickness, and I'm sure there will be a time when it's appropriate to fear death as well - probably after quite a lot of pain and sickness - but one thing at a time, right? Who knows - maybe by that time I will think of death as a merciful and much-desired release from suffering. But non-existence after my death? That's not any scarier than non-existence before my birth.

Hm - maybe that will help you. Consider where you came from before you were born, and ask yourself what is the difference between that place and the place you will go after you die. What is there to fear?

Last edited:

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

Unfortunately for me, my religion is a little different to most others. This is because, unlike the majority of religions, my religion offers me virtually no comfort when it comes to answers. Sure, going to heaven would be excellent, but personally I find it a bit difficult to believe.

Nobody wants to go to hell, so the obvious choice for a christian (or other hell-believers) is to live according to their religion and therefore good things will happen after they die (heaven). Sadly for me, even if you follow my religion to the detail, I believe that you will inevitably reach the same fate: you will be returned to the Aeya and your mortal body will be decomposed. Religion as a comfort is great, but if you believe something because it is a comfort to believe it, then you have to ask yourself whether you're just wrapping yourself up in cotton wool.

Anyway, pessimism aside, if atheists are correct then you won't care (you'll be dead anyway). I doubt the existance of hell as a spiritual plane, so if you really believe in your own view of what happens after you die, you'll be just fine :)

GhK.