• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Baptist church had a great idea. A drive in service! Nope.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually I'm an atheist. and I've criticized Christianity and theistic religions quite often and will continue to do so.

The thing is, I also recognize the rights and importance of having constitutional protections, of which freedom of religion is specifically mentioned.

I don't think any of us would mind waiting a little bit longer, but what if that longer keeps getting extended? Where's the fine line here?

It should hopefully have dawned on all of us in knowing the virus is here to stay. It's permanent now.

You simply can't keep people quarantined forever.
No one is saying forever. That is make believe paranoia to give people something to get themselves all excited over. Relax, have a beer. Tomorrow will come soon enough, and then you can get back to complaining about how everyone is a victim. These are non-issues right now.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have my doubts, where here a major issue and concern is people yamming on about rights they don't actually have. A right to work and an income would be great, but America passed on that when FDR brought it up. The worst and potentially most destructive Ive heard is this right to do "whatever they want."
And people here have already demonstrated multiple times they can't be trusted to follow the rules.

It's strange, isn't it?
Based on working in Sweden a couple of times, I don't think there would be any problems with this type of arrangement there (apart from the weather!)

Australia is mostly okay, but we ran some trials, and had staff watching cars to ensure anyone getting out of their car was doing so for a valid reason (basically, bathroom breaks).

And at least in some parts of the US it seems like you'd need riot police ready to force people to comply.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No one is saying forever. That is make believe paranoia to give people something to get themselves all excited over. Relax, have a beer. Tomorrow will come soon enough, and then you can get back to complaining about how everyone is a victim. These are non-issues right now.
Personally I'm not in a state of disarray about it. But there is a side of the argument where I would sympathize with those religious who are having an extremely hard time. Let's face it, it's over 2 months now with no foreseeable real end in sight.

Churches and religious institutions are allowed to resume now, but are limited to only 10 people practicing proper health discipline with distancing and PPE procedures observed, which in my opinion is still horribly restricted given the low occupancy rate as most churches have considerably more than 10 people.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The thing is, that the virus is never going to go away now. It's permanent.
Which doesn't mean open the floodgates. That, even now, is game over as it will over stress the already overstressed healthcare system.
The best we can now is mitigate and reduce damage where possible, as best we can, and pick up the pieces should a herd immunity develop or we get treatments. Or, we find out who exactly is at risk and basically support their every need on the tax payer dime (and keep in mind we do not know why and how this even kills young and healthy adults and children, so we wouldhave to find out).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But there is a side of the argument where I would sympathize with those religious who are having an extremely hard time.
We are ALL having a hard time (I shed not a tear for their afterlife - I am losing out on this life). This effects EVERYONE. Christians need to realize they are not special and their gatherings are spreadimg the virus. There is no right to endanger others, and that is what, consistently time and time again, happens everytime someone says "but me, me, me, me." They go gather, they catch the bug, they spread it unaware theh even have it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We are ALL having a hard time (I shed not a tear for their afterlife - I am losing out on this life). This effects EVERYONE. Christians need to realize they are not special and their gatherings are spreadimg the virus. There is no right to endanger others, and that is what, consistently time and time again, happens everytime someone says "but me, me, me, me." They go gather, they catch the bug, they spread it unaware theh even have it.
The peculiar thing is you keep saying they're spreading it.

What is it that they're doing wrong if they maintain proper distance and are wearing masks as recommended by medical personnel? Much less staying contained in your own car listening to the FM frequency of the pastor giving the religious message.

That's the part I don't understand here. As long as they maintain proper distance and PPE, I think that's all anybody's expected to do at this point in time.

Wandering Monk

What is it that they're doing wrong if they maintain proper distance and are wearing masks as recommended by medical personnel? Much less staying contained in your own car listening to the FM frequency of the pastor giving the religious message.

That's the part I don't understand here. As long as they maintain proper distance and PPE, I think that's all anybody's expected to do at this point in time.

The two churches I posted about DID ALL the stuff you named and got an outbreak anyway.

I suspect that restaurants will find the same problem when they reopen.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Being in a setting like a sanctuary (basically, a poorly ventilated box of people) is optimal conditions for spreading it. A choir di rehearsals, took all precautions, they still spread and caught covid.
As for cars. It's been tried. No surprises, as people are people and it's failed because people even fail to follow those suggestions, because people so veryboften think it wont happen to them or the rules don't apply.
The only I can see this working is the whole thing is shut down someone needlessly gets out of their car, so the idea of how serious this is has a chance to be strongly enforced (I think online stuff is the best option as it completely and entirely rekoves the possibility of all this happening)

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
We won't have to bother with drive in church services next week in Ohio: Many Ohio houses of worship plan in-person Sunday services for May 31

Catholic Masses resume on Memorial Day.

The state is almost completely reopened now. Restaurants were allowed starting today to seat people inside. Gyms reopen next week, I think. Salons and barbershop were allowed to open a week or two ago. It's basically up to the business if they want to remain closed or not at this point.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Personally I'm not in a state of disarray about it. But there is a side of the argument where I would sympathize with those religious who are having an extremely hard time. Let's face it, it's over 2 months now with no foreseeable real end in sight.

Churches and religious institutions are allowed to resume now, but are limited to only 10 people practicing proper health discipline with distancing and PPE procedures observed, which in my opinion is still horribly restricted given the low occupancy rate as most churches have considerably more than 10 people.
Alright, but still 2 months is a big deal? Really? That's a minor inconvenience, isn't it?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nothing is going to be the same as it was before, anywhere. We should bank on that.
Eventually it will. Eating out, bars, social gatherings and events, those survived and resumed after far, far worse. It just won't be that way for awhile.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

But were they doing this?

Keep in mind that the mere fact that "Christianity Today" said they did everything right does not necessarily mean that they actually did everything right.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's a good point. By looking at past pandemics we can at least get an idea on a time scale of how long a lockdown should last before it gets to that point where you must open or lose everything.
There is no timescale. We can look at the past to see what people did. That is all. Such as, the Spanish Flu and Covid are two totally different things, with it still being mostly unknown how immunity against covid develops, and we don't know if this will be seasonal yet or not. As Newsome has repeatedly said, a timeline will not suffice because all we have is data. And we don't have enough data about covid to develop one. And keep in mind, it was predicted early on this could go on for the duration of summer, for the duration of the year.