• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Baptist church had a great idea. A drive in service! Nope.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's definitely interesting. I tend to cringe a bit when I see people comparing civil rights violations (which I equate to racism, gender discrimination, the Holocaust, etc) with being required to wear a mask for their and others safety. It's weird how everyone came together in the beginning of this, and now, the US is totally divided. Again.
It's just melodramatic hyperbole that's in really bad taste. It's interesting how you don't hear the same crowd whinge and whine about laws regarding speed limits, seatbelts, helmets, etc.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah....as though Jesus was anything but bizarre.
Churches are no less so.
I say let'm have their drive-in service.
They should be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't needlessly endanger the public.

This thing sort of reminds me of fireworks ordinances. People will complain that they can't legally set off their rockets within cities limits and around the 4th of July ("It's B.S! This holiday is about freedom!"), but they don't weigh the significant risk of causing housefires by errant rockets in dense neighborhoods.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
jesus-child-and-glock-001.jpg
Still a hippy, but now at least he can make things blow up (assuming Jesus Guns work like Hollywood Guns).:p

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The constitutional rights to the free exercise of religion in the People's Republic of New York are arguably finished. They act and behave like the Chinese Communist party now.
What, public safety in a pandemic is strictly a communist idea?

I disagree. Normally I disagree respectfully, but this is just bald silly.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
Is it your view that people who get Covid attending church services (or their surviving relatives) are entitled to sue their church for negligence?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's just melodramatic hyperbole that's in really bad taste. It's interesting how you don't hear the same crowd whinge and whine about laws regarding speed limits, seatbelts, helmets, etc.
Damn near everyone I knew in Indiana did (seatbelts and helmets, that is).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What, public safety in a pandemic is strictly a communist idea?

I disagree. Normally I disagree respectfully, but this is just bald silly.

Is it your view that people who get Covid attending church services (or their surviving relatives) are entitled to sue their church for negligence?
This is a non-issue. The people in the parking lot were properly distancing and their windows up while remaining in their cars. They've done what everyone expected everyone else to do even outside the church.

Talk about something being silly there. ;0)

Twilight Hue

It's an old story. Government has learned how to benefit from a crisis.

Throw a fear in the people, and lock them up. They, the govt., won't forget it. Thus you can expect it time, and time again, as long as the Government sees a need for it.

In the U.S, the government sees, in this crisis, an ability to by pass the Constitution. And that Constitution has always been in the way of power.

Good-Ole-Rebel
There has been ever increasing abuses of power across the entire nation by mostly the left in regards to constitutional violations. Supreme Chairman Coumo is and has been a prime example of that.
His MO has always been heavy-handed with anything that opposes his views with some exception to when he was first elected.

NYC is a virtual police state now.

Good-Ole-Rebel

There has been ever increasing abuses of power across the entire nation by mostly the left in regards to constitutional violations. Supreme Chairman Coumo is and has been a prime example of that.
His MO has always been heavy-handed with anything that opposes his views with some exception to when he was first elected.

NYC is a virtual police state now.

I have observed that also. The left is more prone to accept any Constitutional override due to the lockdown. That's too bad about New York. I'm so glad our governor Abbott of Texas is a Conservative. Even though Austin is a cesspool island of blue in a red state.

Good-Ole-Rebel

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The constitutional rights to the free exercise of religion in the People's Republic of New York are arguably finished. They act and behave like the Chinese Communist party now.

New York Pastor Threatened with $1,000 Fine For Holding Drive-in Church Service

The government does not have the right to shut down church services because in this case it's outside, people are proper distancing, and inside their own cars.

With all that taken into consideration, does the government still have the right to throw out the Constitution as it pertains to the first amendment?

Why are the police even involved in this?

For those who don't know what it says, here is the 1st amendment itself...

The First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

I think everyone can understand that we need to take precautions, but this church seems to have done it very well and there is no reason whatsoever for the government to come barging in and shut it down. From a constitutional standpoint that's highly illegal.

What's even worse, to know that the government's going to come to your house of worship and threaten to shut you down should send a stark message and shivers up people's spines that the constitution is not worth the paper it's written on by some government entities who are more than willing to come in unabated, and do this to people.

So what do you think is there a violation of the Constitution?

Was there any notable violations of safety that I haven't noticed? Personally, I didn't see any.

Remember the government has no right to create any laws impeding people's ability to worship however they see fit including gatherings of people of any number.

Well, I like to know is this the kind of country we've become now.
Interesting wrinkle: a statement from the local police chief says, if you read between the lines, that the minister is lying about being threatened with a fine (emphasis mine):

To date the Massena Police Department has not charged or made any threat of arrest with any Executive Order violation issued by Governor Cuomo, nor are we able to impose fines. We have only educated, supported and showed understanding when our partners, businesses and citizens express their concerns during this difficult time. The Massena Police Department strives to keep our community safe and protected, especially, during this public health crisis, and we will continue to do so.”
Did Massena church violate social distancing rules?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is a non-issue. The people in the parking lot were properly distancing and their windows up while remaining in their cars. They've done what everyone expected everyone else to do even outside the church.

Talk about something being silly there. ;0)
You're the one who said it was a commie plot, not me.

Silly silly silly.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Twilight Hue

@Nowhere Man Honesty is the best policy. Placing partisan loyalty above truth only hurts in the long run. Treating politics like a cartoon episode of G.I. Joe vs. Cobra is neither productive nor persuasive.
Whats the truth then about it?

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there anything this church is doing that is endangering people?

Protecting the Constitution is not a strict partisan point of view. At least I hope not.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Protecting the Constitution is not a strict partisan point of view. At least I hope not.

Of course not, but would you say the 2nd amendment gives me the right to drive around your neighborhood in the middle of the night while hanging out of the driver's side window with an AK, spraying bullets into the air?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I tried warning about New York, but nobody listened. Now New York is impounding Muslims, killing Uegers and replacing church bishops. If only New York had not listened to Mao Xe Dong. It's pretty bad. I totes agree its terrible. Maybe we should send in some marines.