• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Baptist church had a great idea. A drive in service! Nope.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
With freedom comes responsibility. If you don't practice the latter, you don't deserve the former.
I think you have to put it with comic book jargon, GI Joe fantasy, and lots of explosions.
And that's just so it has a chance at even being heard rather than instantly dismissed.

Wandering Monk

The idea of everyone sitting around in their cars in a church parking lot to listen to a sermon on their wifi seems pretty bizarre to me.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The idea of everyone sitting around in their cars in a church parking lot to listen to a sermon on their wifi seems pretty bizarre to me.
U.S. Church culture as a whole tends to be rather bizarre. It's enough to make Jesus shake his head, return to the tomb, and roll the rock back.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think you have to put it with comic book jargon, GI Joe fantasy, and lots of explosions.
And that's just so it has a chance at even being heard rather than instantly dismissed.
Americhrist.jpg

Deidre

I wonder why so many feel that their civil rights are being violated, when all that's really being asked of them is to look out for others, protect the safety and well-being of others?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I wonder why so many feel that their civil rights are being violated, when all that's really being asked of them is to look out for others, protect the safety and well-being of others?
They've swallowed a goofy narrative that allows for their strings to be easily pulled.

Wandering Monk

Hard to believe these Americans are descended from the Greatest Generation, the ones who lived through the Depression and WWII.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

The concept of individual rights versus societal responsibilities is pretty interesting, and one of the more stark differences I have seen when working in different countries.
Looking at those countries in the light of this pandemic is even MORE interesting.

(Please note, I'm not judging any particular approach as 'right' or 'wrong'. I am literally just saying it's one of the more interesting aspects of national culture)

Apologies to the OP if I've gone on a slight tangent here.

Deidre

Hard to believe these Americans are descended from the Greatest Generation, the ones who lived through the Depression and WWII.
Which you'd think living through that era would cause them to have advice for the rest of us, of how to cope with difficult times. That is what saddens me about those who are angrily protesting about ''their rights'' over churches being closed. What kind of example is that? My church has been closed for a while, but live streams services on Sundays. I don't feel ''violated.''

Deidre

The concept of individual rights versus societal responsibilities is pretty interesting, and one of the more stark differences I have seen when working in different countries.
Looking at those countries in the light of this pandemic is even MORE interesting.

(Please note, I'm not judging any particular approach as 'right' or 'wrong'. I am literally just saying it's one of the more interesting aspects of national culture)

Apologies to the OP if I've gone on a slight tangent here.
It's definitely interesting. I tend to cringe a bit when I see people comparing civil rights violations (which I equate to racism, gender discrimination, the Holocaust, etc) with being required to wear a mask for their and others safety. It's weird how everyone came together in the beginning of this, and now, the US is totally divided. Again.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Meh. Let's not pretend that all people back then pulled together for the greater good.
And let's not pretend now that people don't.

Reality is always murky, and made up of a variety of responses, and stories.

I mean, whilst the mechanisms change, some things seem as old as human nature...
The Origin of Money Chain Letters

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Which you'd think living through that era would cause them to have advice for the rest of us, of how to cope with difficult times. That is what saddens me about those who are angrily protesting about ''their rights'' over churches being closed. What kind of example is that? My church has been closed for a while, but live streams services on Sundays. I don't feel ''violated.''

I think there have been some great and noteworthy examples of communities (religious and otherwise) who have found ways to stay connected, and to look out for each other in this time. I think it should give members of those communities real confidence about being able to give and receive support in troubled times.

Deidre

I think there have been some great and noteworthy examples of communities (religious and otherwise) who have found ways to stay connected, and to look out for each other in this time. I think it should give members of those communities real confidence about being able to give and receive support in troubled times.
I think so, too. I suppose it's the more obnoxious ones that make the news. haha

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's definitely interesting. I tend to cringe a bit when I see people comparing civil rights violations (which I equate to racism, gender discrimination, the Holocaust, etc) with being required to wear a mask for their and others safety. It's weird how everyone came together in the beginning of this, and now, the US is totally divided. Again.

For what it's worth, we've had some issues along those lines in Australia. There was an initial...and ridiculous...rush on toilet paper which actually resulted in punches being thrown.
And we have some people ignoring distancing rules to protest. Happily, they were clearly told beforehand what the consequences would be for their protest, which allowed them to make an informed decision on their actions.

But those things always felt like exceptions. The toilet paper debacle resulted in a pretty intensive media coverage which focused on the increased toilet paper production, and how there was NO shortage of toilet paper forecast, even if the world completely shut down. It helped. There were human interest stories on everyday cleaners and shelf stackers, reminding everyone about the job they were doing, and the difficulties it placed on them if we all acted like selfish idiots. It helped too.

By no means was everyone of a like mind on this, and our states (much like the USA) have a lot of autonomy in areas like health and education. So government messaging wasn't always consistent with state messages, and even now there have been some who have tried scoring political points off border closures, or border re-openings, etc.

I just feel thankful that overall our response has been coherent and fairly consistent (with some pretty clear hiccups I hope we learn from!).
That has been as important as being 'right' in some cases, it seems.

I feel for the US, since we are only trying to manage 7 states, and 22 million people, and we have a LOT of space. But mostly I just feel for the US citizens who have it harder than we do here, but also have more confusing messaging, or variance in how citizens are interpreting and applying it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
U.S. Church culture as a whole tends to be rather bizarre. It's enough to make Jesus shake his head, return to the tomb, and roll the rock back.
Yeah....as though Jesus was anything but bizarre.
Churches are no more or less so.
I say let'm have their drive-in service.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Same.

In this thread, I learn that lewisnotmiller is from Australia. I probably knew that, but forgot. :!?:

You mean you can't tell by my accent?? (j/k)

Melbourne, born and bred. I've lived and worked in a few cities and countries, but this has always been my home.