• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"97% of Climate Scientists Agree Climate Change is Real." YET . . . .

Shaul

Premium Member
Again, the scientists who do this professionally say it’s us. So, it’s us. The only other explanation available is that all science has been a lie to this point to trick us.
It’s like you didn’t even read what I wrote. Whether climate change is happening isn’t the question. How much humans are affecting the climate is the question. And there isn’t scientific consensus on how much we are. Got it this time? Not if but how much.

Wirey

Fartist
It’s like you didn’t even read what I wrote. Whether climate change is happening isn’t the question. How much humans are affecting the climate is the question. And there isn’t scientific consensus on how much we are. Got it this time? Not if but how much.

There is scientific consensus. It’s us. I work in the oil industry and have for a long time. Ask @Revoltingest and I can assure you, it’s us.

Wirey

Fartist

I read what you wrote. There is scientific consensus that it is us.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, there is a discussion oh how much or how rapid climate change is going to be. You are going to be hard pressed to find a significant percentage that does not think that no matter "How much" that it is a serious problem. Some seem to think that it may be controllable and some probably think that we have passed the tipping point. At any rate change in our behavior must begin now. Even small things will help, hopefully. One has to act as if we can rein in our activities. Doing nothing will only make the worst predictions come true.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I thought this was a hopeful message about the topic of climate change policy.

Curious George

Veteran Member
"The most recent report compiled by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) — the leading international body for the assessment of climate change — concludes that 100% of all warming experienced since 1950 is due to human activity. Multiple studies also show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are due to greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere by human activity.

Retorting [sic] to authority does not prove that climate change itself is real but this consensus is actually based on peer-reviewed published, verifiable science. If anything, the fact that thousands of professionals and experts in their field agree in such a staggering majority that climate change is real should make any person of another opinion think twice, at the very least. After all, the vast majority of doctors agree that smoking causes cancer — this is an undisputed scientific fact — and the public seems to be fully aware of this and trusts the consensus.

So then why is the public in the United States so divided on the issue?

According to a 2017 Yale study, only 53% of Americans believe climate change is caused by human activity. In other words, one in two people thinks the direction climate is heading is completely natural or impossible to influence by human hand.

The country’s President, for instance, is one of the most outspoken climate change denialists, saying that “the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive,” and later that “global warming is a total, and very expensive, hoax!” According to a list compiled by Vox, Donald Trump has tweeted climate change skepticism 115 times (as of June 2017). Last week, on CBS’s ’60 Minutes’, Donald Trump — who claims to have “a natural instinct for science” — had this to say:
source

So is it surprising that Trump is so block-headed? Not really. After all he is his own best source for information on everything. But also, he is a Republican, and Republicans are noted for their denial of climate change.

climate_change_political_affiliation.png

Also of interest is how climate change sits among religious folk.

climate_change_religiosity.png

source

So my question is, why? Why do sooo many Republicans and religious folk deny what almost every climate scientist says is a fact?

Fourth National Climate Assessment: Executive Summary

Thought I would add another report

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And at this point, with all the evidence that's come in, the only real opposition to accepting these reports is either ignorance of the subject or political bias, usually right-wing. The idea that scientists don't know what's causing this is simply bogus and posits that these climate scientists are somehow ignorant or "on the take".