• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Crime In The United States-FBI

esmith

Veteran Member
So, we hear that semi-automatic rifles should be banned because they are....I guess scary. So in light of the 2016 report by the FBI linked below please explain your reasoning? Oh by the way a AR15 (Armalite Rifle Model 15) style weapon is a "rifle".

Table 12

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
To children who've watched their friends chased down and murdered in right front of them, I would say that yeah, they might be a little scary. That, and this is the style of rifle that keeps turning up at all of these frequent and continuous mass shootings.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So, we hear that semi-automatic rifles should be banned because they are....I guess scary. So in light of the 2016 report by the FBI linked below please explain your reasoning? Oh by the way a AR15 (Armalite Rifle Model 15) style weapon is a "rifle".

Table 12
As your table suggests, handguns are the much bigger problem. The reason for focusing on semi-auto rifles, though, is that there would be much more resistance to a handgun ban. You have to consider your likelihood of success when you're picking your battles.

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Like I said in the other thread, this all sucks and I can't make much sense from it.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Table 12

Why does the NRA and gun owners always jump to banning. They want to take away my guns be afraid be very afraid, I call BS. Most people want responsible background checks for all guns, with a waiting period and it to apply to gun shows, most people do not want to allow guns to be purchased by felons of mental patients. I also agree with the kids if they can't by cigarettes or liquor until 21 they should not be able to buy guns until 21. Now you can resolve that by allowing liquor and cigarettes at 18 or not.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Why don't we just stack up all the coffins of high school students that died from a drug overdose in 2016 on a football field and see if that will get anyone's attention.
Products - Data Briefs - Number 294 - December 2017
Not on topic but since you brought it up, I really wish this got more attention. I don't hear much about this epidemic locally, although I do hear it on network news every now and again.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Check out CA. Wow! Only 3 murders in Alabama? Who knew?

I suspect this problem has something to do with it.

It's not just prison reform. The state is being devoured by the unsustainable burden of funding public employee pensions, and most of its residents have let to face that reality as well. The state motto might as well be: "Why confront today a crisis you can put off until tomorrow?"

Californians haven't wanted to build prisons not only because we didn't want to pay for it but also -- and just as important -- because we didn't want brick and mortar structures full of prisoners in our backyard.

Now, we might get the prisoners living next door, but without the brick and mortar buildings.
Where does California put 33,000 released inmates?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
As your table suggests, handguns are the much bigger problem. The reason for focusing on semi-auto rifles, though, is that there would be much more resistance to a handgun ban. You have to consider your likelihood of success when you're picking your battles.

Most of the areas that have these problems already have the strictest laws against guns, period. More bans/laws aren't going to fix the problem.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Table 12

This is an interesting site.

It shows that 1077 people since 1966 have been killed in mass shootings.

Also shows the type of weapon was used in each mass shooting plus a lot of other information.

Analysis | More than 50 years of U.S. mass shootings: The victims, sites, killers and weapons

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Table 12

(Sarcasm on)

It's a black gun therefore it is evil!

(Sarcasm off)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Check out CA. Wow! Only 3 murders in Alabama? Who knew?
Did you miss the toll in Texas which is roughly the same per capita as California. Wow! Who knew. The statistic would have been much better if it was per person.