• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zimmerman and being armed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my experience, particularly when working in bars and clubs, the presence or easy availability of a weapon emboldens many to do what they may not do unarmed.
It also makes many of us (based upon innumerable discussions with CCW/CPL holders) very careful.
It is a reminder that minor exchanges can escalate into something very dangerous & deadly.
Some people are not suited for assuming a more pro-active role than self defense.

esmith

Veteran Member
I think the question that is more relevant is would anyone take it upon themselves to attempt to observe suspicious activity if they are part of a neighborhood watch patrol.
If you read the guidelines from the following:
Join a Neighborhood Watch Group to Prevent Burglary
you will notice that they advocate either foot or other means of a patrol. Going armed, in my opinion, would be predicated on the situation within the neighborhood. If one felt safe on a patrol one may not consider being armed. On the other hand if one felt that there was a possibility of a confrontation and past incidents of crimes were of a violent nature one might consider being armed. If I belonged to a neighborhood watch program I think I would consider having some means of personal protection. Each person has to make their own decision.
To answer the original question is impossible since Zimmerman had a permit to carry he obviously felt that it was necessary to go armed. However, if you were on a neighborhood watch patrol in a vehicle and saw suspicious activity and reported it would you feel obligated to keep the suspicious person or persons in sight? You did volunteer, so it would depend on your personal confidence to take whatever action you deemed necessary.

Poisonshady313

Of course, it is not like there was a crime to be stopped, so that, too, is a moot point.

Zimmerman was not using the necessary force or intimidation for stopping some misdeed, because there was nothing happening that demanded his intervention.
We don't' know how intimidating he actually was, if he actually confronted Martin (rather than Martin confronting him), or if Zimmerman ever used any force whatsoever until the moment when deadly force was being used on him.

Regarding the OP... I say yes, if Zimmerman were unarmed, he still would have gotten out of the car. He only got out of the car to keep an eye on Martin... not to confront him.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You say I might not...understand.

Let's assume otherwise and say I do.

Then we might continue.

Then we won't. I can't make sense of what you are saying.

We don't' know how intimidating he actually was, if he actually confronted Martin (rather than Martin confronting him), or if Zimmerman ever used any force whatsoever until the moment when deadly force was being used on him.

Regarding the OP... I say yes, if Zimmerman were unarmed, he still would have gotten out of the car. He only got out of the car to keep an eye on Martin... not to confront him.

I so disagree.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I have a question for anyone wishing to contribute without getting into the actual trial and resulting verdict.

Do you think George Zimmerman would have left his vehicle and followed Trevon if he had not been armed? Understanding this is pure speculation, I would just like to hear what you think.

I think it possible, considering his frustration over crime in his community. He appeared agitated when he made the call to 9-11 and he appeared to react emotionally (by not staying with his vehicle).

esmith

Veteran Member
I think it possible, considering his frustration over crime in his community. He appeared agitated when he made the call to 9-11 and he appeared to react emotionally (by not staying with his vehicle).

Under what justification do you say that getting out of a vehicle or if on foot patrol keeping a person or person who you thought was acting suspicious under surveillance an emotional response? It would seem that you might be using hindsight to come to your conclusion.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And if we were interested in curbing crime in our neighborhoods....
We should stay in the car?
Not bother to investigate and ask....'what's up?'

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Considering that, according to court testimony, Zimmerman was no physical match for a a 19 year old boy, it seems likely he needed that extra bit of "muscle" to back him up.