• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zero Percent Icelanders Younger than 25 Believe God Created Universe

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
The only thing I've ever wondered about Iceland (well, besides why Spassky played Fischer there) is why it's called Iceland, what with Greenland up there to its north? I mean, really.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The only thing I've ever wondered about Iceland (well, besides why Spassky played Fischer there) is why it's called Iceland, what with Greenland up there to its north? I mean, really.
Iceland proved popular despite its name, but they were trying to encourage people to emigrate to the newer land, they thought calling it "Green" would make it sound more attractive.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Yup, as per @beenherebeforeagain 's post.
Iceland was founded and named first, with it's name being a fairly unsubtle nod to the environment. But when Erik the Red was exiled (for murder or manslaughter, not sure) he travelled to Greenland and named the place hoping to encourage further settlers to follow him, and make the place more sustainable. They stuck to their traditional methods of farming, weirdly, and after some considerable time (many generations) the settlements starved out.

There are other theories about the name, though they strike me as less plausible. One is that the climate was milder then, which has been thoroughly debunked. Another is that the name was after the colour of the skin of the native Inuits, although that seems almost bizarre to me.

As for the OP...it seems a strangely Norse thing to have secular societies, with state churches.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
[Source]

Looks like Iceland is becoming even more secular than it already is. What do you think?

Its a poll by an Atheistic Group. I would bet it was the framing of the questions that created the result. Unfortunately I can't read Icelandic so I can't interpret the poll. Need to see one in English or Spanish. I doubt in a true statistical poll you would ever get zero percent on any question.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What do you think?
I think we need to see what this is saying. It doesn't believe they don't believe there is a God behind the Big Bang, etc.. It sounds like it might be that they reject the idea that God directly created the universe. Here's a key sentence from the source: Remarkably the poll failed to find young Icelanders who accept the creation story of the Bible. Now this does not seem so surprising.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Yup, as per @beenherebeforeagain 's post.
Iceland was founded and named first, with it's name being a fairly unsubtle nod to the environment. But when Erik the Red was exiled (for murder or manslaughter, not sure) he travelled to Greenland and named the place hoping to encourage further settlers to follow him, and make the place more sustainable. They stuck to their traditional methods of farming, weirdly, and after some considerable time (many generations) the settlements starved out.

There are other theories about the name, though they strike me as less plausible. One is that the climate was milder then, which has been thoroughly debunked. Another is that the name was after the colour of the skin of the native Inuits, although that seems almost bizarre to me.

As for the OP...it seems a strangely Norse thing to have secular societies, with state churches.

Oh, OK.

arthra

Baha'i
Apparently there's some Baha'i activity in Iceland per Wikipedia:

Currently there are around 400 Bahá'ís in the country and 13 Bahá'í Local Spiritual Assemblies. The number of assemblies is the highest percentage, by population, in all of Europe.[1]

I have an Icelandic Baha'i friend on this forum named SteinninnViking.

Demonslayer

It's simple really. We have less need for mystical explanations for things these days, thus, fewer people are grasping at the God straw to explain the universe.

Might be fewer in one place or more in another based on culture or devoutness of belief, but as science advances in the absence of any contact by God, we're likely to see this more and more across the board.