• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Tombstone/Memorial

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
So, all things pass eventually - be they plants, animals or stars - one day you will too. So here is the question, how do you desire to have your remains handled and if you have a tombstone, memorial or the like, what do you want it to say or picture.

Personally I do not overly care if I am cremated or buried, though my Mum bought me a funeral plot (long story lol, simply said the whole family has one each in a group of adjacent plots) years back, so I'll probably get buried. I figure I'll get a simple tombstone with the standard written on it, my family crest either embossed or inscribed (though without the family motto because I disagree with it) and the words "If I am to burn in hell, remember to set the heat to rare."

lunamoth

Will to love
I plan to donate all usable organs and then anything that is left science can have it they want it. After than, cremate anything left over and scatter the ashed in my garden.

But, I still want a plot in the cemetery near where I grew up - such a romantic, pretty old place. I think my kids should go there to see it.

Laurie

Viker

Häxan
Possible epitaphs:

'Pass on by. Nothing here to see folks.'

'RIP wuz heer lol.'

'Slayer rulez'

'Help. I seem to be trapped in a box in the ground. Thanks.'

'No trespassing. Guard zombie on duty.'

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Funerals and grave sites are for the living, not the dead.

First of all, I want my organs donated. Keep me on ice or hooked up to machines, whatever you need to do, in order to harvest as much of me as possible for my fellow humans I'm leaving behind for a bit.

In my will, I state that my family is free to do whatever brings them comfort, and I promise I won't come back from the grave to haunt them - I'll be busy doing much more interesting stuff.

But - if they feel they need to know and follow my last wishes, they are this:

If I look like hell, don't have an open casket. Just close that sucker and put a pretty picture of me on top of it.

Music at my funeral shall include: "Softly and Tenderly," (my entire family groaned when I told them that and said in unison, "Wow, you really want us to cry, don't you?"), "We're Marching to Zion," anything by Sting, James Taylor, Queen, U2, Bach, Mozart, and Telemann (actually I want all of those folks represented), Air on a G String (my all time favorite song), "Over the Rainbow" by Eva Cassidy, and then the grand finale - "I'll Fly Away!" (all together now!).

I want to be buried with my Raggedy Ann doll (I don't want her showing in the casket, just have her in there somewhere where she can't be seen). This is the doll whose face I cried off (by laying on it) when my dad was in combat in Viet Nam. I carried her with me while we moved to a different state every two years during my childhood. When I grew up, every time I had a child or a grandchild, I've taken her out of her box and shown her the baby. I know it's weird, but I don't care. She's taken good care of me.

I prefer to be cremated. I have a large life insurance policy and I've actually written in my will that I want my family to take a vacation to Europe, and I want them to stand on a bridge over the Main River in Germany, or on a mountaintop in the Alps, and throw my ashes to the wind - then go drink a lot of beer and have a great time, on me! I haven't paid these premiums my whole life for nothing!

If they want to erect a tombstone, I'd like for it to say, "She carpe diemed with gusto!"

A side note - our family is a bit irreverent about death, since we believe it's just a stop at a station along the way to greater things. My grandmother was one who always believed heartily in an afternoon nap - and then an early bedtime, at dark whether it was 6 pm or 9 pm. In other words, we never knew anyone who could sleep as much as that woman -though she often complained that no matter how hard she tried, she would always wake up about 4 am and not be able to go back to sleep! (We tried to point out to her that she was consistently getting about 12 hours of sleep a day but she never seemed to be able to grasp that!)

When my dad and I picked out her tombstone, we chose this verse, "He giveth His beloved sleep." I am sure she is still laughing at that one! My mom thought we were awful, but I thought it was hilarious!

Last edited:

Renji

Well I actually have death phobia (aka Thanatophobia- the same phobia that Sigmund Freud has, as speculated by some) .In fact you won't see me go to any cemetery even just to visit a deceased relative or even dare to look at a coffin. That's why I sometimes crack a joke which goes like "since I can't visit you in your grave, why don't you go and see me personally?" :D

Anyway, about my tomb stone/memorial, the thought of it just gives me chills.. grr. But yeah, I want a statue of St. Michael or Virgin Mary, carrying the dead body of Christ as a tomb stone.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have little concern for the remains. Use the organs for any useful purposes and cremate the rest.

Any loved ones at the time could do what they will with the remains to comfort themselves, if need be. I'd prefer no resting spot but if they need something to visit, then so be it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have little concern for the remains. Use the organs for any useful purposes and cremate the rest.
I plan to be useful too. My ashes will be mailed in unmarked envelopes to every
major government office in the country. The Beast shall grind to a halt for a day.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Id actually like a message from my favorite scripture.

1. Everything has an appointed season, and there is a time for every matter under the heaven.
2. A time to give birth and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to uproot that which is planted.
3. A time to kill and a time to heal; a time to break and a time to build.
4. A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time of wailing and a time of dancing.
5. A time to cast stones and a time to gather stones; a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing.
6. A time to seek and a time to lose; a time to keep and a time to cast away.
7. A time to rend and a time to sew; a time to be silent and a time to speak.
8. A time to love and a time to hate; a time for war and a time for peace.............16. And moreover, I saw under the sun, [in] the place of justice, there is wickedness, and [in] the place of righteousness, there is wickedness.
17. I said to myself, "God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every deed there."
18. I said to myself, [that this is] because of the children of men, so that God should clarify for them, so that they may see that they are [like] beasts to themselves.
19. For there is a happening for the children of men, and there is a happening for the beasts-and they have one happening-like the death of this one is the death of that one, and all have one spirit, and the superiority of man over beast is nought, for all is vanity.
20. All go to one place; all came from the dust, and all return to the dust.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
After harvesting, I want to be cremated, and my ashes kept by my son. Still, I'd like someone to plant a willow for my "grave."

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Iv never given thought to being cremated or not. I know I want a headstone. But whether or not I have a body in the ground, I don't care. I wouldn't mind being cremated and my ashes released at a significant place or just a significantly beautiful place.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I want to be smothered in A1 sauce and dropped in the middle of a game preserve.

My epitaph:

"Within these forests,
Somewhere lie,
The bones of Quagmire,
Tasty guy".
---your local indigenous predators and scavangers.