• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your tolerance towards people in depression

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I have mental illness, and the people I have meet over the years who told me its all on my mind, and to get over it, I could have punched some sense into them, but I'm not the aggressive kind, lucky for them.
The worst thing, is when they have all been educated about depression, yet still choose to believe in all these fallacies and negative connotations that a 'psychosomatic illness' has.

What is worse, is the attitude of certain doctors towards fibromyalgia (which I also have) and I'm like 'of course it must exist, because I have something that you cannot explain...'

....but being hyper sensitive, I could have 'anything'.

Last year, I got a nasty case of shingles (herpes)...now, being hyper sensitive and suffering with a neuropathic disorder which causes hyper sensitivity, I mean, that was excrutiating and I still suffer with post-herpetic neuralgic disorder, but because the shingles have all gone, the scars have all cleared up, but the irrepairable nerve damage cannot be seen, so there's really 'nothing wrong with my back'...bulls***.

It's like God. If they cannot see it, it mustn't exist.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The worst thing, is when they have all been educated about depression, yet still choose to believe in all these fallacies and negative connotations that a 'psychosomatic illness' has.

What is worse, is the attitude of certain doctors towards fibromyalgia (which I also have) and I'm like 'of course it must exist, because I have something that you cannot explain...'

....but being hyper sensitive, I could have 'anything'.

Last year, I got a nasty case of shingles (herpes)...now, being hyper sensitive and suffering with a neuropathic disorder which causes hyper sensitivity, I mean, that was excrutiating and I still suffer with post-herpetic neuralgic disorder, but because the shingles have all gone, the scars have all cleared up, but the irrepairable nerve damage cannot be seen, so there's really 'nothing wrong with my back'...bulls***.

It's like God. If they cannot see it, it mustn't exist.

That's not very good at all, I haven't had what you have but I can have compassion for you, I have schizophrenia and post traumatic stress disorder, after being shot, but its all the same in a way, like you said its there but others cannot see it. But that is no different than someone with heart disease, you cannot see that also, but people seem to feel more sorry for them, I just cannot work out why.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
That's not very good at all, I haven't had what you have but I can have compassion for you, I have schizophrenia and post traumatic stress disorder, after being shot, but its all the same in a way, like you said its there but others cannot see it. But that is no different than someone with heart disease, you cannot see that also, but people seem to feel more sorry for them, I just cannot work out why.
Wow, that must be terrible for you, and even though I have my problems, there haven't really been any 'big dramas' like that.

I guess that when one is born with a disorder or a disease, they can somehow adapt to it. I still struggle very hard with my Autism, but I have managed to adapt and learn from it.

Just don't put me in an electronic store where there are lots of TVs all on the same channel or I tend to froth at the mouth and pass out...(I am not epileptic).

It still gets very scary sometimes (I was terrified in hospital).

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I've been depressed, and I work with people with mental illness and I have friends with depression. And it varies dramatically depending on how close that person is to me both physically and emotionally. I have had to walk away from some people who were trying to drag me down with them and others haven't bothered me at all, I just knew that's how they were.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Wow, that must be terrible for you, and even though I have my problems, there haven't really been any 'big dramas' like that.

I guess that when one is born with a disorder or a disease, they can somehow adapt to it. I still struggle very hard with my Autism, but I have managed to adapt and learn from it.

Just don't put me in an electronic store where there are lots of TVs all on the same channel or I tend to froth at the mouth and pass out...(I am not epileptic).

It still gets very scary sometimes (I was terrified in hospital).

Autism, I have meet some very interesting people who are autistic, some are very artistic in certain ways. You seem to be able to feel others emotions which is good for autism. yea I'm the same, I cannot stand too much happening around me, I end up wanting to be in a foetal position lol.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is your tolerance level towards someone who is in depression and trying to engage in anyone and anything aggressively and seeking attention negatively. How do you treat them, what do you do when you meet one of those people?

You said 'when you meet', so we're talking about somebody i don't know at all who is being aggressive towards me. I don't have any considerable level of tolerance towards aggression, but more importantly i don't normally assume that i can help somebody i don't know with their depression, or that i'll even be able to tell that they have depression. All that said, context might make a difference.

For example, here, there are a lot of kids and teenagers on the street who are homeless, usually have spent most of their lives on the street, and are almost always employed by some thugs to beg for money, wash cars, sell napkins and stuff like that. Sometimes (but not often) they're aggressive, and some other times they're high on certain cheap stuff here that are easily accessible to them.

I don't become aggressive towards someone in such a messed up set of circumstances, unless something extreme happens, but i also have to be considerably strict or serious in my response, unless they were young children, since any less serious response usually just makes them indulge more in whatever it was that they were doing in the first place that was a problem to me.

This is a unique example, since i'm able to tell somethings about the person from simple signs. Usually, that's not the case, and so my response would be different depending on the situation.

How often do you think you are meeting these people here and outside?

Not very often.

dust1n

Zindīq
I find myself low on tolerance for people who focus most of their time on satisfying a notion of happiness, or who are happy all the time.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Autism, I have meet some very interesting people who are autistic, some are very artistic in certain ways. You seem to be able to feel others emotions which is good for autism. yea I'm the same, I cannot stand too much happening around me, I end up wanting to be in a foetal position lol.
Sometimes, people who think they know a bit about Autism and Asperger's disorder speak to me thus:

"How can you have Asperger's Disorder when you are looking me in the eyes right now during this conversation?"

"No, dear person, that is not a 'look' I am giving you, that is a 'calculated stare' and something (one of the first things) I actually had to learn how to do and I still have not perfected the art'.

My father was a strict disciplinarian and I copped a belting for every minor transgression, basically since birth (I should have told him to 'eff off years ago')...

Anyway, one of his 'big deals' is that those who do not look at another person straight in the eyes whilst they are talking or being addressed, is a 'liar' and they have 'something to hide' or just simply 'cannot be trusted'.

Not looking another directly in the eyes showed 'a weakness of moral fibre' a 'lack of respect for the person conversing with you' etc. It was one of the biggest 'moral sins' (yeah, they came from that old school).

Any transgression of 'the law' resulted in a swift belt to the hiney a few times...so, I learned, through negative reinforcement to 'look at you'. It doesn't mean I do not have diagnosed Asperger's Disorder...

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What's wrong with people that are happy all the time?

I suppose I mean those who cover up their inner self with their act of always being happy, I'm mostly happy all the time but I don't make a song and dance out of it' its real not fake.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Sometimes, people who think they know a bit about Autism and Asperger's disorder speak to me thus:

"How can you have Asperger's Disorder when you are looking me in the eyes right now during this conversation?"

"No, dear person, that is not a 'look' I am giving you, that is a 'calculated stare' and something (one of the first things) I actually had to learn how to do and I still have not perfected the art'.

My father was a strict disciplinarian and I copped a belting for every minor transgression, basically since birth (I should have told him to 'eff off years ago')...

Anyway, one of his 'big deals' is that those who do not look at another person straight in the eyes whilst they are talking or being addressed, is a 'liar' and they have 'something to hide' or just simply 'cannot be trusted'.

Not looking another directly in the eyes showed 'a weakness of moral fibre' a 'lack of respect for the person conversing with you' etc. It was one of the biggest 'moral sins' (yeah, they came from that old school).

Any transgression of 'the law' resulted in a swift belt to the hiney a few times...so, I learned, through negative reinforcement to 'look at you'. It doesn't mean I do not have diagnosed Asperger's Disorder...

Dammn, parents do have a lot to answer for, it took me quite awhile to look at the eyes of others, but in my case I think it was because I was so shy. Its interesting your disorder, can you feel empathy for others, I hope you don't mind me asking.

dust1n

Zindīq
What's wrong with people that are happy all the time?

Well, if one isn't happy all the time, the happiness gets tiresome. Happiness also seems to be maintained by a selection of stimulus and avoidance of stimulus that might tamper with said happiness. Creates a general taboo of topics with negative connotations, and creates circumstances in which boredom because a difficulty in life. Having to operate around that is difficult all the time. Happiness is fine, but it seems rather inhuman to be happy all the time.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Well, if one isn't happy all the time, the happiness gets tiresome. Happiness also seems to be maintained by a selection of stimulus and avoidance of stimulus that might tamper with said happiness. Creates a general taboo of topics with negative connotations, and creates circumstances in which boredom because a difficulty in life. Having to operate around that is difficult all the time. Happiness is fine, but it seems rather inhuman to be happy all the time.

I agree, its great to be truly happy, but to be that we must except not being happy at times, this is true happiness, yes it does sound like a paradox.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Dammn, parents do have a lot to answer for, it took me quite awhile to look at the eyes of others, but in my case I think it was because I was so shy. Its interesting your disorder, can you feel empathy for others, I hope you don't mind me asking.
Not so much empathy on an emotional level, but empathy on a mental and spiritual level. Sometimes I'll feel the sensation emotionally, but because my own emotions are either non-existent, or totally out of control, it's just difficult to tell most of the time. I just need to balance it all out a bit and try and 'increase my exposure' to stimuli more gradually.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Not so much empathy on an emotional level, but empathy on a mental and spiritual level. Sometimes I'll feel the sensation emotionally, but because my own emotions are either non-existent, or totally out of control, it's just difficult to tell most of the time. I just need to balance it all out a bit and try and 'increase my exposure' to stimuli more gradually.

Yes on a spiritual level, I like that, and I do understand what you are saying, it is hard to put into words. You seem to be sort of like me with my schizophrenia, when in psychosis I try to step out of it, and just observe what is happening, it helps me a lot, and it keeps the psychiatrist happy lol.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Yes on a spiritual level, I like that, and I do understand what you are saying, it is hard to put into words. You seem to be sort of like me with my schizophrenia, when in psychosis I try to step out of it, and just observe what is happening, it helps me a lot, and it keeps the psychiatrist happy lol.
The problem is my friend, this 'lack of a filtering mechanism' not only affects me on a physical and mental level, but a psychic one. It is not only limited to the sensory, but also to the extra-sensory...and no amount of 'protection' ever works whenever I go into a crowded shopping mall...I can manage it once a week through my pranayama and meditation exercises, but how can I feel totally overwhelmed, yet also totally underwhelmed and just so 'empty'....then feel anxious, exhausted and totally 'drained' of all my energy that I need to sleep...?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The problem is my friend, this 'lack of a filtering mechanism' not only affects me on a physical and mental level, but a psychic one. It is not only limited to the sensory, but also to the extra-sensory...and no amount of 'protection' ever works whenever I go into a crowded shopping mall...I can manage it once a week through my pranayama and meditation exercises, but how can I feel totally overwhelmed, yet also totally underwhelmed and just so 'empty'....then feel anxious, exhausted and totally 'drained' of all my energy that I need to sleep...?

I see, you do sound like an intelligent person, at least that helps you a little in copping, where as if you didn't have that, my god who knows where you would be, thanks for sharing you experience, I wish I knew much more about it. :)

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I see, you do sound like an intelligent person, at least that helps you a little in copping, where as if you didn't have that, my god who knows where you would be, thanks for sharing you experience, I wish I knew much more about it. :)
It's a combination of a few things, really.

Autism is the most 'obvious' one I guess, then there's Clinical Depression and Generalised Anxiety Disorder (which may/not be attributed to Autism), Bi-Polar Disorder (Manic Depression) and Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

So, you'd have to combine all of those together to get my 'mental make-up'.

That's okay, I am happy to share it. You are right, I don't really have anybody 'out there' except for only a few people, but I have reached the stage where my soul is no longer going to be held hostage to/by the fact.

....and I didn't put that exclamation sign above this post.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It's a combination of a few things, really.

Autism is the most 'obvious' one I guess, then there's Clinical Depression and Generalised Anxiety Disorder (which may/not be attributed to Autism), Bi-Polar Disorder (Manic Depression) and Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

So, you'd have to combine all of those together to get my 'mental make-up'.

That's okay, I am happy to share it. You are right, I don't really have anybody 'out there' except for only a few people, but I have reached the stage where my soul is no longer going to be held hostage to/by the fact.

....and I didn't put that exclamation sign above this post.

WoW your an Australian, sorry I had a peak lol. Yea I don't have anyone really who can understand what it is like to have schizophrenia, and it doesn't really bother me, as long as I understand it, that's the main thing. Yes I do have some experience with bi-polar and anxiety disorder, so I can at least have a little understanding what you are going through, it was great to share our own experience together, I really enjoyed taking to you.:)