• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your religion a lie?

Anti-World

I've heard of people "trully moved by the presence of God". I've heard of people that have raised demons. I've seen people that beleive that we are all part of one supreme entity where we all go after we die. I've heard and seen all of these people beleive in these things just as much as anything else in the world.

To all of you that have seen or heard something that no one else has seen or heard. To those who feel something inside them or have a relationship with something no one else has ever experienced (Or experience in an entirely different way.) I want you to ask yourself who the liars really are. Who are the people that are wandering this life ignorant? Who are those that are pathetically beleiving in something that doesn't exist? Is it the Hindus over in Asia who refuse to eat cows? The catholics in the United States who beleive that they actually change bread to Jesus' flesh? Is it the Satanists that beleive they actually raise demons and have them do their bidding? Why are they the liars? I want you all to look at yourselves and ask yourself, "Why am I any more right than they are?"

The next question I ask myself is this: If all of these religions are completely fabricated then why do so many people follow them? Because it brings you some sort of happiness. Because it boosts your ego and makes you feel better about yourself. It's habitual, something you are more comfortable doing because you've done it for so long. The bottom line is that it was taught to you by everyone around you. Do you think it's a coincidence that everyone thinks murder is a terrible act? Do you really think murder is considered wrong simply because it's "immoral"? A child at infancy would tell you murder is wrong, not some old guy in the sky, not a book, not a thousand others sources that manipulate us every day, the only reason infants beleive murder is wrong is because of everyone around them. That's what they have been taught. You're religions are the same way and whenever the religion doesn't agree with your personality and teachings you leave. You find a group that does.

Don't you see? When you look at all religions the one thing they have in common is that they are groups of people. You all reach out to other people to give meaning to your morals when, when it comes down to it, there really isn't any. Your beleif becomes a foundation on itself. Rediculous arbitrary morals.

Murder isn't "wrong", rape isn't "wrong", but punishing it makes our lives better. Selfishness is the root of morals, not faith. Stop lying to yourself but, probably more importantly, stop lying to me.

Anti-World

Oh, you've got it all wrong. I don't care, because it barely effects me. It's not a well thought out argument, because it doesn't have to be. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Oh, you've got it all wrong. I don't care, because it barely effects me. It's not a well thought out argument, because it doesn't have to be. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh, no problem. I suppose I simply assumed you cared about it since you took the time to post. No problem though, thank you for clearing that up!

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Anti-World said:

If you don't care, then why do you bother posting?

Well, I guess not caring would explain why every statement you've made so far on the subject of religion is misguided, and sadly misanthropic. After all, if you don't care, what would be the point of learning anything about it?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Well, I guess not caring would explain why every statement you've made so far on the subject of religion is misguided, and sadly misanthropic. After all, if you don't care, what would be the point of learning anything about it?

Frubals!

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
People follow religions because they have a spiritual thirst. Religion is usually the first thing they seek relief with because of it's availability.

Some, like myself, outgrow it. Most do not.

Either they are at a level where they are comfortable within that framework, or peer pressure keeps them in it, or they are simply unaware of any other option.

I'm pretty big on making the latter known.

x

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
xexon said:
People follow religions because they have a spiritual thirst. Religion is usually the first thing they seek relief with because of it's availability.

Either they are at a level where they are comfortable within that framework, or peer pressure keeps them in it, or they are simply unaware of any other option.

x

Why assume that religion is for the immature? That's a pretty broad, and self-righteous brush you're painting with.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
I'm in a position to know.

When I look behind me, I see religion.

From your position, you will see differently.

x

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia

A spiritual thirst, huh? I can't speak for all religions naturally, but I can speak for Christianity. Christians seek and follow Christianity because of a desire to serve and glorify God. Almost all Christians are aware of 'other options'.

But since I'm a christian, I'm probably brainwashed into thinking this anyway, right? Either that, or I'm blinded by my faith. At least that's what people tell me.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I'm in a position to know.

When I look behind me, I see religion.

From your position, you will see differently.

Look behind you? Does that mean you're at a higher level than religious people? Please expand on that statement.

UnTheist

smoky*mountain*starlight said:
But since I'm a christian, I'm probably brainwashed into thinking this anyway, right? Either that, or I'm blinded by my faith. At least that's what people tell me.

Why do you deny that possibility?

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
SMS,

A spiritual thirst is correct.

Just like salmon have the instinct to swim upstream, humans have a desire to know where they come from. There is something deep within us all that asks this question.

Even atheists. Look at how many we have here. They are not here because they enjoy a good conversation, but because they too seek the same answers, just in a different way. They won't call it spiritual though.

You're young, and have to accept things as they are for you. But later on, you may form opinions different than what your upbringing has bestowed you with.

Thats a good thing. One should not stand still on the path.

x

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
smoky*mountain*starlight said:
Look behind you? Does that mean you're at a higher level than religious people? Please expand on that statement.

I've been through religion. Many years worth.

It has fallen away from me like the fuel tanks fall away from the space shuttle. It helped me to get to where I needed to go with it, but it could not go where I needed to go.

I'm not superior to anyone else, I'm just maybe a little older than most.

An "old soul", if you like.

x

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Why do you deny that possibility?

The possibility that I'm brainwashed...? Because, ummm, I'm not. And blinded by my faith? Not likely, I'm open to new facts. If God was disproven tomorrow, I would renounce my Christianity entirely.

SMS,

A spiritual thirst is correct.

Just like salmon have the instinct to swim upstream, humans have a desire to know where they come from. There is something deep within us all that asks this question.

Even atheists. Look at how many we have here. They are not here because they enjoy a good conversation, but because they too seek the same answers, just in a different way. They won't call it spiritual though.

You're young, and have to accept things as they are for you. But later on, you may form opinions different than what your upbringing has bestowed you with.

Thats a good thing. One should not stand still on the path.

Maybe so.

As to the last two sentances, I don't have to accept anything, and I don't either. My parents will tell you that much. A lot of my beliefs and opinions are way differant than their's, and they respect that. I mean, if they figured out that I still practice some of the tradition Cherokee spiritual ceremonies...let me tell you, they would flip out. But I feel like that is something I need to do, so their opinions and beliefs aren't going to get in the way of mine.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia

It has fallen away from me like the fuel tanks fall away from the space shuttle. It helped me to get to where I needed to go with it, but it could not go where I needed to go.

Ohhhhh, I gotcha. Older and wiser, right, lol.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Don't you see? When you look at all religions the one thing they have in common is that they are groups of people. You all reach out to other people to give meaning to your morals when, when it comes down to it, there really isn't any. Your beleif becomes a foundation on itself. Rediculous arbitrary morals.
Thier are groups of people like me? Where? Druids or Nocturnalist are hard enough to find, but someone who has embraced both, even rarer. I've only met one other Druid in life, and only two others here on RF. I have yet to meet anyone who follows Nocturnalism as a true spiritual path. I think thier was one other on RF, but I'm 100% sure on that.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
xexon said:

x

Being older doesn't make you smarter, or wiser.

Just because it didn't work for you, and you had to find something else doesn't mean that religion is not good for anybody.