• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your preferred music app is?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am on the hunt for a new music player. Having been a longtime fan of WinAmp, I've noted that it has not been updated for several years and so began to look around for alternatives. I will say straight out that I am not a fan of Micro$oft Media player/Centre. If you find this suitable, you have my condolences.

So far, I've tried iTunes but dislike it due to it suffering from major bloatwareitis and coming from Apple Corp. I am terribly anal about my MP3 tags and the arrangement style of my music catalogue. I utterly despise programs to seek to enforce their form of organization. (itunes, Windows Media Player et al). My small digital collection comprises 8,873 files and 778 folders covering 78GB of space. :eek::D

I've also tried Foobar2000, though it was adequate, it just didn't have much to it. Overall not a bad program.
Lastly, I seem to have temporarily settled on MusicBee. It has a nice interface, gobs of settings and offers many "under the hood" features that are pretty cool.

I also gave MediaMonkey a try but didn't like the program overall. Likewise, I use VLC for all video needs and stumbled across the fact that it can also be quite a nice audio player.

So, RF mandarins, what say you? What is your esteemed favored music App for PC (Win Doh's 10)

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I am on the hunt for a new music player. Having been a longtime fan of WinAmp, I've noted that it has not been updated for several years and so began to look around for alternatives. I will say straight out that I am not a fan of Micro$oft Media player/Centre. If you find this suitable, you have my condolences.

So far, I've tried iTunes but dislike it due to it suffering from major bloatwareitis and coming from Apple Corp. I am terribly anal about my MP3 tags and the arrangement style of my music catalogue. I utterly despise programs to seek to enforce their form of organization. (itunes, Windows Media Player et al). My small digital collection comprises 8,873 files and 778 folders covering 78GB of space. :eek::D

I've also tried Foobar2000, though it was adequate, it just didn't have much to it. Overall not a bad program.
Lastly, I seem to have temporarily settled on MusicBee. It has a nice interface, gobs of settings and offers many "under the hood" features that are pretty cool.

I also gave MediaMonkey a try but didn't like the program overall. Likewise, I use VLC for all video needs and stumbled across the fact that it can also be quite a nice audio player.

So, RF mandarins, what say you? What is your esteemed favored music App for PC (Win Doh's 10)

Spotify Premium. Although you seem to be after a straight player, rather than streaming service, so perhaps not.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Pandora seems to be yet another music service. It isn't available in Canukistan yet. Again, I'm not looking for a music streaming service, but the player of choice, like the ones I listed in the OP.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I still use Winamp for Windows, and probably will until it's not longer compatible.
Pandora seems to be yet another music service. It isn't available in Canukistan yet.
You aren't missing much. There's tons they don't have, and the streaming variety isn't that great. The best two are Spotify and YouTube Music, with the big disadvantage with Spotify is there a lot it doesn't have and the radio channels are very repetitive, and Youtube Music streaming only videos and hit-and-miss quality, and the radio streaming, though you can control the variety, it always wonders off very far away from where you started it.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I use iTunes because I haven't found anything better. I dislike the dating system, which doesn't use original release dates for older material, but I live with it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I like VLC player. I find it simple and effective and plays nearly anything I put into it.
Thanks @Orbit and @Shadow Wolf for your input. I'm not at the stage of deleting Winamp just yet, but it hasn't been updated for literally a decade or more. Initially, I liked itunes, but then I saw that it was moving everything I played through it to another area of the computer (on another drive) which was causing havoc with my filing methods. Soon I had hundreds of MG's of duplicated files. Thanks, Apple!

Thanks @Guitar's Cry for the encouragement to give VLC a go. I already use it for any flavor of video and just never thought to play audio through it. :)

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Like for your phone? or PC, i use standard windows media player, my music collection is quite large, a few TB's of music though. I like WMP, becausde it is simple and the format never changes. I use "Music Player" that's the title, for my phone. cycle out what I want to hear. make playlists etc etc.

ITunes is trash it doesn't even play flak files, AND lots of songs get lost in the transfer from folder to player, why? and even more songs get lost from program to device. iTunes was good in the beginning now it's a broken piece of software that can play only limited media files.

Youtube and spotify don't work for me since I live in a part of the country where there are no phone plans, you have to buy data, it's a waste to listen to what you like and waste data listening to it on repeat. Best to download it all.

And not all the music I like can be found on either spotify and youtube. If you llisten to anything obscure, you should learn where to download albums of those no name bands no one has ever heard of. iTunes is also weird since it limits you to a single device per iTunes account which I think is nonsense.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I did use deezer mostly because premium membership came free from my internet provider. Now i don't bother, must be getting past it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I did use deezer mostly because premium membership came free from my internet provider. Now i don't bother, must be getting past it.
Again, I'm not looking for any kind of music streaming service. I am looking for what App/program people are using to play their music collection on their PC under Windows. To be clear, I have no interest in any kind of music streaming services.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Like for your phone? or PC, i use standard windows media player, my music collection is quite large, a few TB's of music though. I like WMP, becausde it is simple and the format never changes. I use "Music Player" that's the title, for my phone. cycle out what I want to hear. make playlists etc etc.

ITunes is trash it doesn't even play flak files, AND lots of songs get lost in the transfer from folder to player, why? and even more songs get lost from program to device. iTunes was good in the beginning now it's a broken piece of software that can play only limited media files.

Youtube and spotify don't work for me since I live in a part of the country where there are no phone plans, you have to buy data, it's a waste to listen to what you like and waste data listening to it on repeat. Best to download it all.

And not all the music I like can be found on either spotify and youtube. If you llisten to anything obscure, you should learn where to download albums of those no name bands no one has ever heard of. iTunes is also weird since it limits you to a single device per iTunes account which I think is nonsense.
Thanks for the input and I am specifically interested in the software folks are using on their PC to play their music.

ChristineM

Premium Member

ChristineM

Premium Member
Another for good ol' VLC, nice. What is odd is that I have used this proggie exclusively for video almost since its inception and have never thought of it as a music player.

It'll play most formats. (And streams)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It'll play most formats. (And streams)
That's the stupid part. I know that. I have just never thought of using it for such a purpose since I used it extensively for fixing unruly videos that it will play but nothing else will. :) I WILL give it a fair shake though. :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
That's the stupid part. I know that. I have just never thought of using it for such a purpose since I used it extensively for fixing unruly videos that it will play but nothing else will. :) I WILL give it a fair shake though. :)

And as a bonus you don't need to download it.