• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Most Embarrassing Moments Ever!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When I was sixteen, my mom entered a painting I'd done -- but absolutely hated -- in a State sponsored art fair.

At sixteen, I was not eligible to enter as an adult, but the judge nevertheless awarded me an adult category gold ribbon -- the highest prize in the show, and which meant that my painting automatically advanced from the county competition to the State competition.

I later heard that there had been some grumbling about awarding the gold to a teenager, but that the judge had said either I got it, or he'd resign.

It was a mystery to me how on earth anyone -- my mother, the judge, or perhaps anyone else -- could see any merit in the painting. It was totally amateur in my opinion, ridiculously sloppy work that I'd dashed out in less than an hour.

The day came when the State works were open to public viewing. My mom insisted I go with her to see if mine had placed. I was pretty surly about it, being sixteen, but I went anyway.

Got to the hall where all the works from around the State were being shown. These were all accomplished adult artists. Their works dazzled me with their creativity and beauty. Then I looked around for my painting.

Eventually, I found the poor, miserable thing tucked away in a corner of the room, hidden behind a couple other works. I realized at once that someone -- whoever had been responsible for arranging the pieces -- had justly put mine about as far out of sight as possible.

I almost crawled out of the hall that day.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is a tough question because what seems the worst might not be in hindsight the worst.

For example, there was the time I was very high on a hallucinogen and said something stupid to someone. I immediately felt so completely embarrassed at what I said that my life seemed totally a failure and the time left to me was going to be utterly worthless and valueless.

Of course that was what is euphemistically called a bad trip, but it immediately popped into my mind when I read the OP. That proves how such things can sear the memory.

Nothing stupid I've said or done before or since has had the emotional impact of that event so long ago.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What was one of the top most embarrassing moments in your life?

Recently I was teaching a class and had, well, some stomach issues. I had to leave class *very* quickly and did not manage to get to the restroom before soiling my pants. I managed some basic cleanup, and then had to go back to the classroom to dismiss class for the day.

Rather embarrassing!

Skwim

Veteran Member
I've related this before, but I think it bears repeating.

Late one night when I was about 16 or 17 I was at my girlfriend's home making out on the living room sofa. She was 14 or 15. Her mother had gone to bed some time earlier so both of us felt quite alone---she had no father. As things progressed she eventually ended up without her blouse and bra. As we laid there we both fell asleep, she on her back with bare boobs facing the ceiling and me on the inside of the sofa facing the bedroom hallway. I don't know how much time had passed, but for whatever reason I awoke and through squinted eyes saw her mother standing in the hallway staring at us. I didn't dare move. Laying perfectly still I was imagining what her mother was about to say and dreading it. About a minute later---it seemed far, far longer---without saying a word she turned and went back to bed leaving us as is. I woke up my girlfriend, told her about her mother's discovery, and immediately scooted home. The next day at school I asked her what her mother said that morning. "Nothing," she answered. Amazingly, her mother never did mentioned it to either of us, and never treated me any differently. Thinking back on it I realize what a Cool Mom she was. Here's to you, Bernice :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Recently I was teaching a class and had, well, some stomach issues. I had to leave class *very* quickly and did not manage to get to the restroom before soiling my pants. I managed some basic cleanup, and then had to go back to the classroom to dismiss class for the day.

Rather embarrassing!
That's probably my #2 - I have a mild case of IBS-D and was introduced to it when I did not make the toilet in time. But the drug-induced episode was more emotionally impacting than crapping in my pants.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I once suggested to a female friend that I get her jeans as a gift just as the idea sprang into my mind--which was several seconds before I realized just how stupid the idea was (even before she nicely turned it down).

Lesson learned. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I once suggested to a female friend that I get her jeans as a gift just as the idea sprang into my mind--which was several seconds before I realized just how stupid the idea was (even before she nicely turned it down).

Lesson learned. :D

Clever way to get into someone's pants, DS. But next time, make sure they're wearing them when you try to get into them. Pro tip.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What was one of the top most embarrassing moments in your life?

I really can't think of any. I recall dreaming as a kid that I would forget to get dressed before I went to school, but that's the closest I think I've ever come to what one might call embarrassed.

I don't embarrass. Not sure why.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I really can't think of any. I recall dreaming as a kid that I would forget to get dressed before I went to school, but that's the closest I think I've ever come to what one might call embarrassed.

No way to go down from where you are? j/k

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

That fascinates me. I've felt embarrassment maybe six times since I was 40 -- and none at all so much as blushing. So, although I've come to it later than you, we're in the same boat now. But I have no more explanation for it than you do, Scott. Quite a mystery. If you ever figure out why, let me know please.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That fascinates me. I've felt embarrassment maybe six times since I was 40 -- and none at all so much as blushing. So, although I've come to it later than you, we're in the same boat now. But I have no more explanation for it than you do, Scott. Quite a mystery. If you ever figure out why, let me know please.

My theory is that we can build a tolerance to it over time. I'm always out to make people laugh in public, and my daughters when younger would get embarrassed in certain situations, but as they grew older, they were immune to embarrassment as well. I couldn't embarrass my daughter now if I tried.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
My theory is that we can build a tolerance to it over time. I'm always out to make people laugh in public, and my daughters when younger would get embarrassed in certain situations, but as they grew older, they were immune to embarrassment as well. I couldn't embarrass my daughter now if I tried.

I also rarely get embarrassed. It takes an event on the order of crapping my pants in front of a classroom to get there.

Even then, the worst part is that I wanted to go over the new material in the course!