• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favourite Modern Day Sherlock

Who Is Your Favourite Modern Day Sherlock Holmes

• Benedict Cumberbatch

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Robert Downey Jnr

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Johnny Lee Miller

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

The Neo Nerd

Who is your favourite modern day Sherlock Holmes?

We have Benedict Cumberbatch

sherlock_bbc_image_02_Benedict_Cumberbatch-419x600.jpg

We have Robert Downey Jnr

Robert+Downey+Jr+Robert+Downey+Jr+Rachel+McAdams+1BmYgOGnGMVl.jpg

and we have Johnny Lee Miller

elementary_sherlock_400x280.jpg

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have only seen Downey's and i don't really like it. But it has more to do with the movies overall than him not particularly fitting for the role.

I think if the movies were done a bit more seriously and tried less to be funny i probably would've liked it.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ben 'n' me are like this: )(

Seriously, Cumberbatch can act circles around most of the rest, the writing is brilliant, the miniseries is unbeatable.

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well I haven't watched Benedict Cumberbatch's version, so I vote for Johnny Lee Miller.
You should. Although he doesn't know it, Revoltinest and I have been feuding since my thread on that show. Plus it's going to be a law in the UK that if you want to stay you have to watch it.

gnomon

Benedict Cumberbatch. His character, primarily due to the writing, I feel fits with the original character. As well he exhibits that arrogance you expect of the character with the same fallibility when he might fail.

Downey's character was ruined for me with his detailed deconstruction of a fight and the physicality of the character which I understand many others find fascinating. Plus it fits with Guy Ritchie's direction. I enjoyed his character.

I admit I have yet to see Miller.

As far as acting the character, it's Cumberbatch far above Downey I have to say. You really get the sense of his abilities as well as his shortcomings as being who Holmes is. Once again, though, the writing behind the Masterpiece series is superior to those of the movies. Though I must say that Cumberbatch reminds of Brett somewhat. That arrogance that Brett exuded as Holmes. But Cumberbatch brings something else. Hard to describe.

Personally, I've always liked Basil Rathbone as well. There's some old films for you. As far as Watson's go.........Freeman all the way.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member

gnomon

Thanks for that.

Is it me or does it seem that Cumberbatch has based his Holmes off of Brett's character.

"It's in the rules or the rules or wrong." That is an arrogance I love among Holmes. Which I think Cumberbatch, while sounding much like Brett, carries off well.

However, has anyone seen the Seven Percent Solution. I have yet to see that one. I would love to see Nicol Williamson as Holmes.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it me or does it seem that Cumberbatch has based his Holmes off of Brett's character.
I think there's some of that, yes. But nobody has the speedy exposition that is somehow acted rather than simply rattling of lines in a script at full speed like Cumberbatch.

That is an arrogance I love among Holmes.
Part of the brilliance of the modern interpretation in Sherlock is that they've fixed a sort of internal dissonance in Conan Doyle's character by having Holmes be a kind of sociopath or having Asperger syndrome. The character is oddly rude, abrupt, and socially awkward in ways that don't always make sense given that he can be quite polite and very much the gentleman at times. In Sherlock, this is explained by a lack of caring about social conventions unless he wants something. Despite being modern, it's more faithful to the books than most interpretations. Rathbone was good (I knew him as "Basy Boy" back during our school days), and I like most better than Robert Downey Jr. (I like Downey; I just didn't like the films).

gnomon

I think there's some of that, yes. But nobody has the speedy exposition that is somehow acted rather than simply rattling of lines in a script at full speed like Cumberbatch.

Part of the brilliance of the modern interpretation in Sherlock is that they've fixed a sort of internal dissonance in Conan Doyle's character by having Holmes be a kind of sociopath or having Asperger syndrome. The character is oddly rude, abrupt, and socially awkward in ways that don't always make sense given that he can be quite polite and very much the gentleman at times. In Sherlock, this is explained by a lack of caring about social conventions unless he wants something. Despite being modern, it's more faithful to the books than most interpretations. Rathbone was good (I knew him as "Basy Boy" back during our school days), and I like most better than Robert Downey Jr. (I like Downey; I just didn't like the films).

If you met Basil I envy you. I would love to have asked him about the scene in Mark of Zorro if whether or not Tyrone Power slipped during the fencing scene. I've presented this to people as one of the ultimate sword fighting scenes in cinema and there is a point in which Power seems to slip. Basil holds back necessarily but it doesn't detract from the power of the scene.

If you've never scene the film I recommend it solely for that fencing scene alone.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks for that.
"It's in the rules or the rules or wrong." That is an arrogance I love among Holmes. Which I think Cumberbatch, while sounding much like Brett, carries off well.
However, has anyone seen the Seven Percent Solution. I have yet to see that one. I would love to see Nicol Williamson as Holmes.
I saw the 7% Solution long ago, but remember only that it was enjoyable.
I think I once had a better memory, but I'm not sure....can't remember.

Dingbat

Cumberbatch easily. I quite enjoy the arrogance and seemingly incomprehensible arrogance he manages to pull off as Holmes.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
As a die-hard Sherlockian and a great lover of Conan-Doyle's work. I would have to say Johnny Lee Miller best represents the Sherlock Holmes that Conan-Doyle originally envisioned. Above any of the rest. His eccentricity due to the struggle with recovering from drug abuse is more accurate - in a contemporary sense - to the eccentricities Sherlock of old experience through actual drug use.

I didn't think I'd enjoy Elementary when I saw it advertised. I suspected another American rip-off. But it's superior to its other two counterparts.

The Neo Nerd

I didn't think I'd enjoy Elementary when I saw it advertised. I suspected another American rip-off.

I was very much the same.

I thought it would be poorly acted and full of cheap cliches, so i avoided it.

But my father told me it was good so i gave it a go.

I'm glad i did.

But i still like cumberbatch better.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I was very much the same.

I thought it would be poorly acted and full of cheap cliches, so i avoided it.

But my father told me it was good so i gave it a go.

I'm glad i did.

But i still like cumberbatch better.

Swings and Roundabouts, I suppose. In terms of accuracy, though, Lee's is better.

Thana

Lady
Who is your favourite modern day Sherlock Holmes?

We have Benedict Cumberbatch

sherlock_bbc_image_02_Benedict_Cumberbatch-419x600.jpg

We have Robert Downey Jnr

and we have Johnny Lee Miller

I'd have to say Robert Downey Jr,
Not because of the movie, Because I found it pretty mediocre
But because dayum he fine ;););)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm not really a fan of Sherlock Holmes overall, but I voted for Cumberbatch because A.) He's an amazing actor and B.) He's very handsome. :D